Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blacks: cookie-cutter conformists
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Quote:In an interview last week with Taleeb Starkes, podcaster Adam Carolla asked the author of The Un-Civil War: Blacks vs. *******: Confronting the Subculture Within the African-American Community a cut-to-the-chase question:

If Starkes, who is black, could wave a magic wand and change one thing about his “community,” what would it be?

I figured he’d pick violence, education, or family structure. Instead, to my surprise, Starkes said he’d abolish his race’s corrosive cultural conformity.

To Starkes, those other, more widely discussed problems stem in large part from blacks’ stifling, self-imposed cookie-cutter culture:

Quote:There’s no diversity in the black community. It’s pretty much it’s just in our DNA to be one way, and if you’re not that way, you’re not (quote, unquote) “black.” And I would start there, because a lot of these kids are so urbanized, if you bring anything new or different outside of sports, hip hop, those two things mainly, you may be frowned upon, and that’s what I would change. What I’d like to do is get the kids out, let them see other things. Outside of the city. Again, they’re so urbanized, it’s foreign. … It worked for me as a kid. I got to see different things: trees, different place, it worked for me.

Please share this article by using the link below. When you cut and paste an article, Taki's Magazine misses out on traffic, and our writers don't get paid for their work. Email editors@takimag.com to buy additional rights. http://takimag.com/article/the_real_blac...z3CA7molaT
09-02-2014 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Blacks: cookie-cutter conformists
I tend to agree. It's interesting, but blacks in rural settings generally act nothing like the city guys, which IMO, is a good thing. Just so much of the urban black culture does nothing but harm themselves and get in the way of any successes in society. Very self-destructive behaviors.
09-02-2014 09:21 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
True, but it stems from a misplaced belief that the current cultural conformity is the only vestige of black heritage. Stepping outside of that world is a threat because it represents a loss of identity.
09-02-2014 09:22 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-02-2014 09:22 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  True, but it stems from a misplaced belief that the current cultural conformity is the only vestige of black heritage. Stepping outside of that world is a threat because it represents a loss of identity.

That's interesting considering the vast majority of blacks have likely descended from people that were involved in agriculture. I wonder where that part of the heritage was lost, or maybe they prefer to ignore that part of the past.

IMO, those involved in agriculture are some of the hardest working, best people we have - maybe it wouldn't hurt to mimic some of the virtues of that past............
09-02-2014 09:28 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(09-02-2014 09:28 AM)Crebman Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 09:22 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  True, but it stems from a misplaced belief that the current cultural conformity is the only vestige of black heritage. Stepping outside of that world is a threat because it represents a loss of identity.

That's interesting considering the vast majority of blacks have likely descended from people that were involved in agriculture. I wonder where that part of the heritage was lost,

The migration to Detroit, and other northern cities, for jobs.
09-02-2014 09:36 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(09-02-2014 09:28 AM)Crebman Wrote:  

That's interesting considering the vast majority of blacks have likely descended from people that were involved in agriculture. I wonder where that part of the heritage was lost, or maybe they prefer to ignore that part of the past.

IMO, those involved in agriculture are some of the hardest working, best people we have - maybe it wouldn't hurt to mimic some of the virtues of that past............

True, but the perceived loss stems from the belief that white people removed that culture via slavery, leading to a mass rejection of what is viewed currently as White culture. But as Henry Louis Gates points out in his book, a large majority of blacks in the US are descended from prisoners of war as a result of several West African inter-tribal conflicts. If it wasn't for the Atlantic Slave Trade, these POW's were going to be stripped of the culture via either death or bondage to North African Muslims. Ultimately, there is no heritage on the other side of the Atlantic to save in the first place.
09-02-2014 09:50 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Very true. The black underclass defines black culture in America. To stand up in any way to that will get you ostracized. Both blacks and whites are guilty of playing into stereotypes. The black kid in school is suppose to be good at basketball, the asian kid is suppose to be good a math. When the opposite is true, both kids are kinda pushed back into the box that they are "suppose" to be in.
09-02-2014 09:56 AM
Advertisement

South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Regardless of color,...what ever happened to "Due your best" and "Be the best you can be". attitudes?
09-02-2014 10:04 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
a snapshot of time....

the result is nothing more than cultural suppression...it would be interesting to see the end result of equal education over a epic span of time

'they' have been trained....by da whiteys with the da money

planet of the apes got it right...

it's pathetic with what we now know is continuously misrepresented and spewed like spit....

every time I hear shite like this it is the same as spit...

you people are pathetic in thought
09-02-2014 10:29 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(09-02-2014 09:21 AM)Crebman Wrote:  I tend to agree. It's interesting, but blacks in rural settings generally act nothing like the city guys, which IMO, is a good thing. Just so much of the urban black culture does nothing but harm themselves and get in the way of any successes in society. Very self-destructive behaviors.

There is also a big cultural difference between blacks I've lived around in the North vs those in the South.

My gf's sister used to live in NYC and she didn't really understand the hate for blacks in the south. Then she moved to Charlottesville, VA and her exact words were "oh, I get it now."
09-02-2014 10:53 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(09-02-2014 10:53 AM)Niner National Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 09:21 AM)Crebman Wrote:  I tend to agree. It's interesting, but blacks in rural settings generally act nothing like the city guys, which IMO, is a good thing. Just so much of the urban black culture does nothing but harm themselves and get in the way of any successes in society. Very self-destructive behaviors.

There is also a big cultural difference between blacks I've lived around in the North vs those in the South.

My gf's sister used to live in NYC and she didn't really understand the hate for blacks in the south. Then she moved to Charlottesville, VA and her exact words were "oh, I get it now."

go west young man....they have educated black people that phrase and speak properly (disclaimer: I do the missippy thingy just to relieve the pressure of living in this shitehole)

it's refreshing to say the least....
09-02-2014 11:04 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab

I am trying to understand this statement but it has flown over my head. Who is hating blacks in the south?
09-02-2014 11:27 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2014 10:04 AM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Regardless of color,...what ever happened to "Due your best" and "Be the best you can be". attitudes?

Soft bigotry of low expectations. Sometimes adult just accept mediocrity from some kids.
09-02-2014 11:49 AM
Advertisement

South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Soft Bigotry from whom?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-02-2014 08:00 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2014 08:00 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Soft Bigotry from whom?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

Adults who accept less than the best.
09-02-2014 09:17 PM
Clueless Economist Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the underdog
Re: RE: Blacks: cookie-cutter conformists
(09-02-2014 11:27 AM)DragonLair Wrote:  

I am trying to understand this statement but it has flown over my head. Who is hating blacks in the south?
I didn't get what was being implied either.
09-02-2014 09:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.