Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EU wants to ban vacuums and hair dryers
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
EU wants to ban vacuums and hair dryers
The EU has gone mad. My hobby is high end stereos and this could kill certain types of equipment because American manufacturers won't make something that consumes a lot of power if there is no overseas market for it. And they're concerned about heat from an amplifier? Give me a break, isn't Europe cold 6 months of the year?

Quote:The European Union has already clamped down on powerful vacuum cleaners and now it is turning its attention to smaller appliances and gadgets, such as hairdryers, kettles and even high-powered smartphones.

It is looking to introduce new legislation early next year to limit the amount of power an appliance can use in order to meet energy efficiency goals, and that means many household appliances could be outlawed.

Hairdryers, for example, could be reduced in power by up to 30 per cent. A European Commission study claims that the power input of hairdryers in Europe range from 900 watts to as much as 2,300 watts and considering that the vacuum cleaner ban restricts import and sales of devices to those less than 1,600 watts, it is clear that dryers will need to be tackled too.

The EC study suggests that smartphones and mobile phones will be less affected considering they draw less power, but there will be minor changes suggested in areas such as charging patterns. It also says that regulatory change might not be necessary in the category as manufacturers have already expressed an interest in reducing energy consumption.

Home cinema fans might be less enthused by the report. "It has been noted that amplifiers are one of the biggest sources of energy consumption in an equipment rack," it says. "Due to the inherent inefficiencies in amplifying signals, audio amplifiers are also the biggest sources of heat in the rack."

Projectors are also targeted as being able to improve their average energy consumption.

Manufacturers will need to explore all avenues to reduce power consumption in their electric devices, says the EU. It also suggests that mandatory consumption limits will be introduced in multiple categories going forward. "We haven't got round to these devices yet, we want curb power consumption," Günther Oettinger, the German EU energy commissioner, told Bild newspaper.

"All EU countries agree that energy efficiency is the most effective method to reduce energy consumption and dependence on imports and to improve the climate. Therefore there needs to be mandatory consumption limits for small electrical appliances."

Vacuum cleaners, it seems, are just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130591-a...martphones
09-01-2014 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: EU wants to ban vacuums and hair dryers
STOP ME BEFORE I STRIKE AGAIN !!!

[Image: Eureka-4870MZ-Boss-Smart-Vac-Vacuum-Clea...36079a.jpg]
09-01-2014 04:27 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Would be better off pushing for reduction in power consumption when appliances are not in use. Most appliances draw a fair amount of power even when they are not in use.

Numbers are all over the place, but I've seen numbers from 10-25% of all power is used by 'vampire appliances' that suck energy when not in use. TV's, cable boxes, and video game systems are among the biggest contributors.
09-01-2014 05:12 PM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
I'm fine with high powered smart phones being outlawed, lord knows we'd be better off without them.
09-01-2014 06:08 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(09-01-2014 04:27 PM)EagleX Wrote:  STOP ME BEFORE I STRIKE AGAIN !!!

So millions of dogs were right all along. Smart pooches.
09-01-2014 06:41 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-01-2014 06:41 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 04:27 PM)EagleX Wrote:  STOP ME BEFORE I STRIKE AGAIN !!!

So millions of dogs were right all along. Smart pooches.

they obviously knew something we didn't.
09-01-2014 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.