Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Child rapist is raped in jail. Sues county
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Anyone here hoping he wins?

Quote:A convicted child molester and rapist has filed a civil rights lawsuit against a Washington state county claiming they failed to protect him from being forcibly raped by another inmate while in Garfield County jail.

The plaintiff, who remains unnamed by the Union Bulletin due to a policy of not naming victims of sexual assault, was held in a cell with inmate John Markwell in August 2011.

Markwell was abusive and intimidating towards him, and he informed jail personnel that he feared for his safety, according to the complaint filed in Walla Walla County Superior Court.

The complaint states that beginning on August 20, 2011, Markwell forcibly raped the unnamed plaintiff at least three times.

On May 9, 2012, Markwell was convicted on three counts of forcible rape by a jury. He was sentenced to life without parole.

The plaintiff claims in the lawsuit that he has suffered and continues to suffer from severe emotional distress, including nightmares and anxiety, because of the jail rapes.

“People who are incarcerated are extremely vulnerable. Prison rape and jail rape are huge problem,” Lee Rousso, the plainiff’s attorney, said. “From my perspective these are extremely serious allegations, and I hope that Garfield County will take them seriously.”

The amount of money the plaintiff seeks as damages will be determined at trial, reports kirotv.

The plaintiff was in jail on charges of rape of a child and child molestation. He pleaded guilty to both and is currently serving a 10 years to life sentence at Monroe Corrections Center.

Link
08-31-2014 04:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Child rapist is raped in jail. Sues county
(08-31-2014 04:33 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Anyone here hoping he wins?
I wouldn't go that far.

But I feel very strongly that prisoners should not be given "extra" punishments beyond what's included in the judge's sentence. If the State of Washington wanted this guy to get @ss-raped then let the judge put that in in writing and say so out loud for everyone to hear.
08-31-2014 08:20 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Nope,... There is honor among thieves. Each individual on that system has earned it, especially this piece of crap.

Give him a choice stay and complete his sentence or give him 15 minutes alone with a 9mm. The choice is his.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-31-2014 08:43 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
I think what He needs, and others like Him, need to have a Sex change Mandatory. Putting a ****** on Him and placing Him/Her in the Mens prison for a few Years would do wonders to His Sick Psyche.
08-31-2014 08:52 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Maybe the sick mo fo should just kill himself.
08-31-2014 09:05 PM
Advertisement

Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

I Root For: nothing
(08-31-2014 08:20 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(08-31-2014 04:33 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Anyone here hoping he wins?
I wouldn't go that far.

But I feel very strongly that prisoners should not be given "extra" punishments beyond what's included in the judge's sentence. If the State of Washington wanted this guy to get @ss-raped then let the judge put that in in writing and say so out loud for everyone to hear.

Consequences were known to him. A man has no right to sue the fed if he falls while rock climbing in a national park, he knows the dangers and consequences of his actions. This prick knew what he was doing was criminal and would likely end up in jail where it is commonly known you may get raped. He should not be immune from the consequences of his own sick decisions.
09-01-2014 08:43 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
He should sue. He should win. And all monies awarded should go to his victim.
09-01-2014 09:21 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Maybe it was consensual? No?
09-01-2014 09:31 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
While it is sweet prison style justice that a child molester get a dose of his own medicine, he will win and should win. The prisons have a duty to protect the inmates from harm. They do an extremely poor job of that.

I think he should win in the hopes that prisons beef up protections which will help other inmates. A person who goes to prison for writing bad checks etc for a few years shouldn't face what amounts to a life sentence after catching AIDS or something else because the prison guards and prison itself can't be bothered to protect folks.
09-01-2014 10:36 AM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(09-01-2014 10:36 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The prisons have a duty to protect the inmates from harm.

There's only so much that can be done. In a perfect world the police would have protected this rapist's victims.
09-01-2014 11:10 AM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-01-2014 10:36 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  While it is sweet prison style justice that a child molester get a dose of his own medicine, he will win and should win. The prisons have a duty to protect the inmates from harm. They do an extremely poor job of that.

I think he should win in the hopes that prisons beef up protections which will help other inmates. A person who goes to prison for writing bad checks etc for a few years shouldn't face what amounts to a life sentence after catching AIDS or something else because the prison guards and prison itself can't be bothered to protect folks.

this sort of lawsuit isn't all that unusual, and it hardly ever works. most of it depends on whether you live in a sane state or not. you've got to prove negligence on the part of the guards. no easy task.

if a dude gets raped in prison, it's the fault of the rapist, not the prison. if one were to unfold your argument to it's logical conclusion, courts would hesitate to send child rapists to prison, because bad stuff happens to them.

the civil rights angle is sort of a different twist, and skews the burden of proof a bit. maybe people that live in washington will throw this scumbag a "W", but I doubt it.
09-01-2014 02:27 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(09-01-2014 10:36 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  While it is sweet prison style justice that a child molester get a dose of his own medicine, he will win and should win. The prisons have a duty to protect the inmates from harm. They do an extremely poor job of that.

Uh, that's one of the major reason that you don't commit crimes and go to prison.
09-01-2014 02:51 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(09-01-2014 02:51 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  

Uh, that's one of the major reason that you don't commit crimes and go to prison.

Bingo, We have a Winner !04-cheers
09-01-2014 03:25 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Quote:The plaintiff claims in the lawsuit that he has suffered and continues to suffer from severe emotional distress, including nightmares and anxiety, because of the jail rapes.

I'm sure the child he molested and raped will have a tougher time overcoming the trauma he caused. Two wrongs don't make a right but maybe this predator will better understand what rape is like on the other end (pardon the pun) and will think twice before ever doing it to someone else again.

If the County (prison) was truly negligent and a financial settlement is awarded to the child rapist then his victim should be awarded a portion to help offset costs for psychological/emotional/counseling recovery and higher education (technical or academic). Not sure of the legalities of this but it is the right thing to do IMO.
09-01-2014 07:00 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Do believe that each prisoner should never have to share a cell.
Think it encourages many of them to do things like this or be tough
to get by. Think it would help a lot.
09-02-2014 07:10 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Since just about every prisoner, not a banger, gets raped, it would be a good class action suit for one of the shyster law firms.
09-02-2014 07:28 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
No one should be raped, even in jail.
09-02-2014 07:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.