Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Clemson - Total Collapse In Second Half
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
Clemson - Total Collapse In Second Half
Wow, what a collapse. It's reminiscent of the game against West Va. 4 years ago. I really expected Clemson to do better.
08-30-2014 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

RE: Clemson - Total Collapse In Second Half
That'll drop Clemson out of the top 25
08-30-2014 08:18 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
It happens when you don't schedule high school teams in OOC play. I know you don't understand that anymore than you understand anything else football related.
08-30-2014 08:19 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(08-30-2014 08:19 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  It happens when you don't schedule high school teams in OOC play. I know you don't understand that anymore than you understand anything else football related.

Better luck with South Carolina State.
08-30-2014 08:23 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I wouldn't compare this Clemson loss to that Orange Bowl loss at all. It wasn't so much a collapse (the game was tied at Halftime, unlike the WVU Orange Bowl) so much as the Tigers were simply worn down by the Bulldogs. Even though UGa got lots of yardage and points, I still blame this one on the Clemson offense for failing to sustain drives. If Clemson had some of those long drives like they had against LSU in the Chick-Fil-A bowl a couple of seasons ago this would've been a much different game, IMO.
08-30-2014 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline

(08-30-2014 08:23 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(08-30-2014 08:19 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  It happens when you don't schedule high school teams in OOC play. I know you don't understand that anymore than you understand anything else football related.

Better luck with South Carolina State.

I promise you it will not be a one point game with us having to score 21 points in the second half and a TD with a minute and a half left to get there.

Try not to lose to Old Dominion. They aren't a first year transitioning program this year so they aren't going to get out-depthed like Georgia Southern did.
08-30-2014 08:55 PM
Advertisement

jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
Clemson just got worn down in the 4th quarter..mostly due to the offense doing nothing. It was a lot to ask of Stoudt and Watson to start their first game on the road at Georgia. Though the final score looks bad, they did a good job in the first half.
08-30-2014 09:03 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

Hopefully Clemson's loss will not drag the league's reputation down this fall.
08-30-2014 09:05 PM
7thHeaven Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofL
I don't understand why he didn't play Watson more. I thought he was the better QB.
08-30-2014 09:45 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-30-2014 09:45 PM)7thHeaven Wrote:  I don't understand why he didn't play Watson more. I thought he was the better QB.

Watson has plenty of upside, but Stoudt is the better QB right now, IMO.
08-30-2014 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline

(08-30-2014 09:45 PM)7thHeaven Wrote:  I don't understand why he didn't play Watson more. I thought he was the better QB.

Joe Montana could have been back there and it wouldn't have been any different. You aren't going to win when:

A. Your receivers drop easily catchable balls.

B. Your playcalling starts to resemble Rob Spence with the horizontal passing game and lack of a running game.

C. For whatever reason you insist on playing your 200lb or less RBs and they can't help in pass pro

D. Your inexperienced kicker shanks an easy FG

The offense was unable to sustain drives and constantly put the defense in bad field position.
08-30-2014 09:57 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I can't be too tough on Clemson. Playing Georgia between the hedges is a difficult task for anyone. It is clear, however, that Clemson badly misses the trio of Boyd, Watson, and Bryant. They looked offensively impotent at times today.

Now, in all fairness, a lot of that impotence may have had to do with Georgia. The Bulldogs looked strong and athletic on defense.

However Stoudt looked like a very average player to me with just okay physical skills. I think the other kid will eventually win that job out right. He is certainly more raw but he also clearly has more skill. The Tigers' receivers looked like an average group as well. They look athletic but they cannot catch the football - and some of them would appear to be...umm...contact averse.

Defensively, that is a tough matchup for Clemson. They have a lot of long, lean athletes who are built to rush the quarterback and are not going to be able to withstand anyone who pounds the football like Georgia can.

To me, it was very obvious by half time which way that game was most likely to go. You could see one side gaining strength and the other side wearing down. I do not know Clemson's schedule but I do know if they played a power running team they are probably going to have some trouble stopping that team. However, in most cases versus ACC teams, the Tigers will simply try to outscore that other team. Georgia is too athletic on defense to play that way against. Obviously, Florida State will pose similar problems for CU when they play.

On the other side of the coin, I do not believe there is a better running back in the country then Todd Gurley. He is a very impressive player.

Kudos to coach Dabo (BTW, what the hell is that goofy name short for?) for scheduling so tough early on. He deserves credit for that. However, even with some improvement, they are nowhere near as good as last year's edition (which was a very good team).
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 10:32 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
08-30-2014 10:22 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
An NC State fan "attempting" to talk **** to Clemson, when NC State damn near lost to Georgia Southern at home? GTFO. Stupid people gon' stupid, I suppose.
08-30-2014 10:58 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(08-30-2014 09:57 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Joe Montana could have been back there and it wouldn't have been any different. You aren't going to win when:

A. I

B. am

C. butt

D. hurt

Marge Schott, please tend to my wounds.
08-30-2014 11:08 PM
7thHeaven Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofL
Football is all about timing and when Watson was in the game I think the offense was more in sync.
08-30-2014 11:09 PM
Kaplony Offline

(08-30-2014 11:09 PM)7thHeaven Wrote:  Football is all about timing and when Watson was in the game I think the offense was more in sync.

Really? Watson had one good drive and was three and out in two others. He had 5 carries for -3 yards.
08-30-2014 11:12 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

ACC membership is what caused Clemson to collapse in the second half.03-shhhh
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 11:15 PM by lumberpack4.)
08-30-2014 11:14 PM
Kaplony Offline

(08-30-2014 11:08 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(08-30-2014 09:57 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

A. I

B. am

C. butt

D. hurt

Marge Schott, please tend to my wounds.

It's OK, in just a few weeks we can salve our wounds when the tarholes come to Death Valley. It's not as sure a deal historically as whipping the copycats from Rawlee, but it's close enough to count.
08-30-2014 11:15 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Muhahaha! They're coming to get you, Barbara!
08-30-2014 11:18 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

   
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...Clemsoning

"Clemsoning"

1. The act of failing miserably on a grand athletic stage, or when the stakes are high. 2. Record-setting failure, usually reserved for college football.

There was an epic example of clemsoning when Clemson hosted Florida State in a highly anticipated football game on October 19, 2013. Clemson was ranked 3rd, while Florida State was ranked 5th. Florida State won the game 51 - 14. Clemson set a NCAA record for margin of defeat by a home team ranked #3 or higher. The 51 points scored by Florida State is the most points ever allowed by a Clemson opponent on Clemson's home field. Most of the home team fans could not take the clemsoning any longer and left the game mid way through the third quarter.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 11:20 PM by lumberpack4.)
08-30-2014 11:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.