Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

American Sports Network
Bookmark and Share
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
American Sports Network
ASN will televise 2 JMU home games this season - W&M and Elon. There have been questions regarding availability and which affiliates will be carrying.

The first ASN game ever takes place this Saturday when ODU hosts Hampton. From the ODU Athletics site, here is an affiliates list for reference... http://odualumni.org/eblasts/Football201...M_ID=31100

I think this provides some insight as to the likely future coverage of JMU's ASN games. Also, it reinforces what some of us have discussed in other TV-related threads that Richmond, Norfolk, Roanoke-Lynchburg, and NOVA (via DC) are all included.

Further, it appears the ASN will dive into lots of other states as well. Good exposure potential for JMU and at minimum will give our fans across the country a chance to dial in. Of course, it will compete with other games at the same time, but it is better than no TV at all. ASN states at its website that college hoops will also be a part of their plan moving forward so we potentially could see some CAA hoops games televised in the future - if not this year, perhaps next.

Thought some might want to know.
08-27-2014 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

2XDuke Offline
Water Engineer

RE: American Sports Network
(08-27-2014 09:58 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  ASN will televise 2 JMU home games this season - W&M and Elon. There have been questions regarding availability and which affiliates will be carrying.

The first ASN game ever takes place this Saturday when ODU hosts Hampton. From the ODU Athletics site, here is an affiliates list for reference... http://odualumni.org/eblasts/Football201...M_ID=31100

I think this provides some insight as to the likely future coverage of JMU's ASN games. Also, it reinforces what some of us have discussed in other TV-related threads that Richmond, Norfolk, Roanoke-Lynchburg, and NOVA (via DC) are all included.

Further, it appears the ASN will dive into lots of other states as well. Good exposure potential for JMU and at minimum will give our fans across the country a chance to dial in. Of course, it will compete with other games at the same time, but it is better than no TV at all. ASN states at its website that college hoops will also be a part of their plan moving forward so we potentially could see some CAA hoops games televised in the future - if not this year, perhaps next.

Thanks for this list -

It should be noted that ASN is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting, so these games will only be available on Sinclair owned TV stations. So markets that don't have a local station owned by Sinclair will not get these games and it's not likely that the coverage will be expanded beyond Sinclair stations anytime soon (although it could happen).
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 10:08 AM by 2XDuke.)
08-27-2014 10:06 AM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

American Sports Network
I'm getting the Odu Hampton game down here in raleigh on our local Sinclair affiliate. Hope to see some JMU games this season!
08-27-2014 10:07 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-27-2014 10:06 AM)2XDuke Wrote:  
(08-27-2014 09:58 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  ASN will televise 2 JMU home games this season - W&M and Elon. There have been questions regarding availability and which affiliates will be carrying.

Thanks for this list -

It should be noted that ASN is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting, so these games will only be available on Sinclair owned TV stations. So markets that don't have a local station owned by Sinclair will not get these games and it's not likely that the coverage will be expanded beyond Sinclair stations anytime soon (although it could happen).

100% correct and good input. Sinclair just bought out the 2 affiliates in DC and Lynchburg in the last few weeks. There is a rumor per Matt Sarzyniak's excellent site that NESN (New England Sports Network) may pick up some ASN games moving forward. NESN is included in DISH Sports Pack with lots of other regional sports networks (eg, CSN-MA, Fox Sports South, etc.). If that happens, it opens up in a bigger way. As someone pointed out in another thread, the conferences will have to negotiate it, but will be interesting to see if any of the ASN broadcasts are included at ESPN-3 and/or WatchESPN online streaming. If that occurs, then it REALLY opens up in terms of availability far beyond the local Sinclair affiliates. Like the ACC Network affiliates, black outs at ESPN-3 would be in effect most likely if they ever go that route, but no big deal. We'll see.
08-27-2014 10:27 AM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
American Sports Network
So I set my dvr to record an in progress showing of the Villanova game. It was supposed to start at 4pm and didn't end up being put on this channel until 6:10pm. It was 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter. They finished up an o's game, which is televised locally on another channel. They then played a movie up until it came on.
Why can't they put on the programming their guide says will be on?
09-06-2014 06:07 PM
jjthebutcher Offline
Special Teams

(09-06-2014 06:07 PM)Potomac Wrote:  So I set my dvr to record an in progress showing of the Villanova game. It was supposed to start at 4pm and didn't end up being put on this channel until 6:10pm. It was 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter. They finished up an o's game, which is televised locally on another channel. They then played a movie up until it came on.

The NOVA game was delayed by weather.. Not ASN's fault. Good broadcast I thought...
09-06-2014 07:13 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
(09-06-2014 07:13 PM)jjthebutcher Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 06:07 PM)Potomac Wrote:  So I set my dvr to record an in progress showing of the Villanova game. It was supposed to start at 4pm and didn't end up being put on this channel until 6:10pm. It was 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter. They finished up an o's game, which is televised locally on another channel. They then played a movie up until it came on.

The NOVA game was delayed by weather.. Not ASN's fault. Good broadcast I thought...

what about the entire 1st quarter and the first 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter? i'd say it was just them not putting it on. i think the delay was about 30 minutes.

edit: this tweet confirms I was correct that they failed to put it on in a timely fashion. it reeks of small time. the game didn't get put on until 6:10pm.

CAA Football
‏@CAAFootball
Watch live here once it resumes: http://ow.ly/Bbh6G #CAAFB RT @NovaFootball: Play will resume at 5:42 pm.
Reply Retweet Favorite More
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 07:50 AM by Potomac.)
09-06-2014 08:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.