Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Withers Press Conference
Bookmark and Share
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
my understanding is that he had a press conference (yesterday?) as Mickey always did, probably at Ham's. if that place still exists.

if this is true, does anyone know how to find it?

apologize if this was already mentioned, just had to skim the thread topics but didn't see it.
08-26-2014 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

RE: Coach Withers Press Conference
(08-26-2014 05:25 PM)Jay M. Youix Wrote:  my understanding is that he had a press conference (yesterday?) as Mickey always did, probably at Ham's. if that place still exists.

apologize if this was already mentioned, just had to skim the thread topics but didn't see it.

check madizone - on demand button. BAM! technology. Computer technology (kings of comedy - if you get it)
08-26-2014 05:36 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Matt Jones, summarized the press conference but I have seen no video available.

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1673706
08-26-2014 05:44 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Hams is now O'Neils. Same place, same menu, different name.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Brian
08-26-2014 07:28 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Color me unimpressed with this new stretch player so far. Every video they've put on it buffers every 3 seconds and it's definitely not my connection. I hope they get this worked out before there are actual games on there because that will be unwatchable.
08-26-2014 07:57 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

I watched soccer game this weekend that was perfect. On my phone and streamed to the tv. way better than years past and was hd

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-26-2014 08:06 PM
Advertisement

Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

(08-26-2014 05:36 PM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  
(08-26-2014 05:25 PM)Jay M. Youix Wrote:  my understanding is that he had a press conference (yesterday?) as Mickey always did, probably at Ham's. if that place still exists.

check madizone - on demand button. BAM! technology. Computer technology (kings of comedy - if you get it)

thanks, my friend. i didn't see the madizone tab and i was used to the old site where they posted the video right on the main jmusports page.

for anyone trying to watch this, it's really kind of annoying. once you find the video, you have to skip forward to about the 12 minute mark, where the presser begins. why, you ask? great question. perhaps they believe that we'll appreciate videos more if we have to work to view them?

also, if there is a pause button, i have yet to see it. am i asking too much? to be able to watch the video without skimming to find when the video begins, then maybe being able to pause it if i want? seems like i'm not asking too much here.

sigh.
08-26-2014 08:09 PM
MRD_DUKE Offline
Water Engineer

(08-26-2014 08:09 PM)Jay M. Youix Wrote:  

thanks, my friend. i didn't see the madizone tab and i was used to the old site where they posted the video right on the main jmusports page.

for anyone trying to watch this, it's really kind of annoying. once you find the video, you have to skip forward to about the 12 minute mark, where the presser begins. why, you ask? great question. perhaps they believe that we'll appreciate videos more if we have to work to view them?

also, if there is a pause button, i have yet to see it. am i asking too much? to be able to watch the video without skimming to find when the video begins, then maybe being able to pause it if i want? seems like i'm not asking too much here.

sigh.

It is no doubt a common problem,
you could email/submit feedback to those empowered to fix these things:
http://www.jmusports.com/sb_output.aspx?form=31
http://www.jmusports.com/staff.aspx?staff=9
http://www.jmusports.com/staff.aspx?staff=10

Feedback is a gift...
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014 09:38 PM by MRD_DUKE.)
08-26-2014 09:35 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
Went to the presser on Monday. Coach Withers is one confident guy and I like it. All due respect to coach Matthews, but this was a completely different press conference; no shrugs, no "I don't know Matt", or "That's a good question", no dodges, no eye rubs, no digs at the local media - just quick, confident, bold, sound answers to questions. Coach likes where the team is at this point going into week 1. And I like how he's made the program carry itself.

I said it when I met coach Withers last winter; if the players are as confident as he is and buy into what he's teaching them, we are in for a really special season of JMU football.
08-26-2014 10:22 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
^ nice

08-26-2014 11:01 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
That was a good read on rivals...anybody know about the named P/K players? Also, love that he is limiting which players, about ten, that can talk to the press...starting to get a really good feeling here...

08-26-2014 11:14 PM
Advertisement

Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
this is pretty awesome

Quote:Diggs – a former Rivals five-star recruit – was a prized prospect in the Class of 2012, and Withers recruited him to play at Ohio State where he was co-defensive coordinator. Withers said defending Maryland’s passing game would be a “challenge,” but it’s not a battle he expects to lose.
08-27-2014 07:11 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-26-2014 10:22 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  All due respect to coach Matthews, but this was a completely different press conference; no shrugs, no "I don't know Matt", or "That's a good question", no dodges, no eye rubs, no digs at the local media - just quick, confident, bold, sound answers to questions.

I agree. MM was very poor when it came to the press conference stuff, and it was a breath of fresh air and enjoyable to watch and listen to HC Withers.

I came away from the press conference with the impression that our local reporters need to step up their game, because some of their questions were repetitious and borderline dumb, and while Withers answered everything in a professional manner, I honestly cringed when some of the questions were asked.

The new HC is a real pro, and by the way he answered and handled reporter's questions I think he was also teaching the local press corp some new stuff.

Of course the true test about how Withers handles questions from the press will come after a tough loss, but hopefully those opportunities will be few and far between.
08-27-2014 07:28 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-27-2014 07:28 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(08-26-2014 10:22 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  All due respect to coach Matthews, but this was a completely different press conference; no shrugs, no "I don't know Matt", or "That's a good question", no dodges, no eye rubs, no digs at the local media - just quick, confident, bold, sound answers to questions.

I agree. MM was very poor when it came to the press conference stuff, and it was a breath of fresh air and enjoyable to watch and listen to HC Withers.

I came away from the press conference with the impression that our local reporters need to step up their game, because some of their questions were repetitious and borderline dumb, and while Withers answered everything in a professional manner, I honestly cringed when some of the questions were asked.

The new HC is a real pro, and by the way he answered and handled reporter's questions I think he was also teaching the local press corp some new stuff.

Of course the true test about how Withers handles questions from the press will come after a tough loss, but hopefully those opportunities will be few and far between.

Totally agree with everything stated. I really think the local press is in a rut and needs a boost of energy.

We should come up with a list of good questions that should be asked. After each game, start a new thread just for questions we'd like to have answered. We know this board is monitored by at least some of the reporters. Maybe, some member of the press will run with it or at least this could help get his/her mind into the game.

Along the same line, it has always bothered me that we cannot hear the questions being asked. Someone needs to be repeating the questions prior to EW answering or put a mic in their hands.
08-27-2014 08:58 AM
arlingtonduke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU DUkes
Yes - agree EW was very confident and the press looked small time.

EW was straightforward, got to the point, didnt dodge any question and didnt give give long dawn out political responses. The rest of the JMU administration could learn from this.
08-27-2014 09:01 AM
HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

Coach Withers has been the same way since he was hired. He's very direct and very personable at the same time. The press seems afraid to challenge him but at this point, there is nothing to really challenge him on. There will be some things to talk about on Monday. He won't dodge questions and he won't get aggravated at the press unless the questions are cumulative in nature.

MM was good in many ways. He wore his heart on his sleeve all the time and that was good in many ways and problematic in other ways.

If we play as well as we have practiced, this year will be special. I can't wait for Sat. We may not win but we will execute.
08-27-2014 10:12 AM
Advertisement

Dukeman Offline
Special Teams

Can anyone help me with a link to the press conference?

I can not find it on madizone.
08-27-2014 10:20 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-27-2014 10:20 AM)Dukeman Wrote:  Can anyone help me with a link to the press conference?

I can not find it on madizone.

Its there, you will think that its not, because it takes about 12 minutes for it to come up. Either exercise 12 minutes of patience or try to advance it to about half way across. It will come up. I thought something was wrong and went over to another window for a few minutes then started hearing some talking and went back.

http://portal.stretchinternet.com/jmu/po...Type=video
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 10:37 AM by BleedingPurple.)
08-27-2014 10:35 AM
Purple Pilgrim Offline
1st String

(08-27-2014 07:28 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

I'm not sure that bad questions are merely a local media problem. From Joedy McCreary:

Welcome back, dumb #ACC telconf questions. Someone asked what Dabo saw on film from UGA that's diff from '13. Before the OPENER. What film?
08-27-2014 10:48 AM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

(08-26-2014 09:35 PM)MRD_DUKE Wrote:  
(08-26-2014 08:09 PM)Jay M. Youix Wrote:  

sigh.

It is no doubt a common problem,
you could email/submit feedback to those empowered to fix these things:
http://www.jmusports.com/sb_output.aspx?form=31
http://www.jmusports.com/staff.aspx?staff=9
http://www.jmusports.com/staff.aspx?staff=10

Feedback is a gift...

i sent feedback, thanks for the links.
08-27-2014 11:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.