UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Good primer on some of our likely run schemes.
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Good primer on some of our likely run schemes.
I haven't seen us practice at all. So, I've been watching a lot of Jacksonville state highlights to get an idea of what to expect scheme wise from our offense and defense this saturday.

I havent posted much info about it because it would be more work than I have time for to pull images and explain whats going on, BUT I found a website today that, while looking at NFL run schemes, does a great job of explaining some of the Jax St 2013( and presumably the UAB 2014) run schemes with all the pics, gifs and explanations you'd ever need.

Basically last year Jax St was a one back - one TE offense that would sometimes flex the TE out for a 4-wide look, and sometimes flex him into the backfield for a 2RB 3WR look.

With that info, hopefully some of you will find the following interesting:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21707...l-run-game
08-26-2014 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DM Blazer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: The Blazers
RE: Good primer on some of our likely run schemes.
(08-26-2014 01:57 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  I haven't seen us practice at all. So, I've been watching a lot of Jacksonville state highlights to get an idea of what to expect scheme wise from our offense and defense this saturday.

I havent posted much info about it because it would be more work than I have time for to pull images and explain whats going on, BUT I found a website today that, while looking at NFL run schemes, does a great job of explaining some of the Jax St 2013( and presumably the UAB 2014) run schemes with all the pics, gifs and explanations you'd ever need.

Basically last year Jax St was a one back - one TE offense that would sometimes flex the TE out for a 4-wide look, and sometimes flex him into the backfield for a 2RB 3WR look.

Lost me with lacy in it.
08-26-2014 02:06 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Meh, I pretty much only look at the blocking.
08-26-2014 02:08 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
Good stuff
08-26-2014 02:08 PM
Advertisement

bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(08-26-2014 01:57 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  I haven't seen us practice at all. So, I've been watching a lot of Jacksonville state highlights to get an idea of what to expect scheme wise from our offense and defense this saturday.

In light of the new atmosphere I will forgo the witty reply and just say thanks
08-26-2014 02:20 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I think our QB's will be allowed to be more mobile.
08-26-2014 02:24 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
Thanks Matt !
08-26-2014 02:31 PM
Advertisement

BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
Oh yeah, lots of read option stuff from the Jacksonville highlights. From a blocking stand point, that just means that instead of assigning a man to block the defensive end or outside backer, you read him instead, basically blocking him with the threat of the QB run. He dives down, he gets "blocked" by chasing a RB who doesnt have he ball, if he charges the QB, the QB is blocking him by nature of the QB threat of a run taking him out of the play. You kind of see this in one of the examples from that link:
[Image: ee364930e2c9c14e18979a7201e75df4_origina...1408679716]

Notice the Linebacker 53 has no one assigned to him. In this case its because the offense knows he has a coverage assignment. But even if you knew he was blitzing, he can only go after the RB ot the QB, so even the threat of a mobile QB makes the defenses job much harder.

[Image: efef716a7aaa21ea5eee979681c92ea8.gif?1408679770]
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014 02:41 PM by BlazerMatt.)
08-26-2014 02:37 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
The Jacksonville OC is now the head coach. Does the new guy do the same things? May want to watch some tape of Spanish Fort.
08-26-2014 02:45 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
By the way, the other thing I took from watching the Jax St highlight videos was deep seated hope that we hired their video department with the rest of the staff. (outside of some of their music choices.)

Seriously watch the first couple of minutes of:

Does that not get you fired up for Saturday?

https://www.youtube.com/user/jsuvideodept/videos for the game by game and position by position highlights.
08-26-2014 02:50 PM
Advertisement

USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
And who here thinks Matt Flynn was actually a running threat? heeheeheee...

Just poking you Matt. Good stuff: Thanks for the breakdown. I like it. Now, are either of our QBs decent running threats?
08-26-2014 03:03 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Clements would be the bigger threat running.
08-26-2014 03:04 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
(08-26-2014 02:45 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  The Jacksonville OC is now the head coach. Does the new guy do the same things? May want to watch some tape of Spanish Fort.

I tried looking at some South Alabama highlights since thats where the OC comes from, but their video guy apparently has some sort of religious objection to showing clips that show actual plays. Seriously, they would show an extreme closeup of a RB or QB running in slowmo past the line of scrimage for a 1 second, followed by 10 seconds of slowmo celebration footage. Over and over. Drove me insane looking at it. But it did appear they were running out of 1back sets with plenty of zone read stuff. And since the rest of the offensive staff came from Jax, I'm assuming that they are very similar offenses.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2014 03:09 PM by BlazerMatt.)
08-26-2014 03:08 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

Here is some more advanced football insight from John Madden.

08-28-2014 09:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.