Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Predictions and Wild Speculations for the 2014 SEC Football Season:
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Alabama: Quarterback play hampers the Tide all season long. A dominant defense keeps them in contention, but not for a national title. They lose 2 or 3 games this season.

Arkansas: Bielema's defense plays better than expected, but the offense remains ponderous. The Hogs win 5 or 6 games but play close contests most of the season.

Auburn: Malzahn's high powered offense gets off the ground but not without hick-ups. Replacing Tre Mason proves to be the missing piece of the formula. The Tigers start slowly but figure things out before Kansas State. Thank goodness the early schedule is not the strongest part of the competition but if the defense isn't improved it could be a tough start.

Florida: Muschamp is the problem, a new offensive coordinator helps but this is the final season at the Swamp for the head coach.

Georgia: Murray is gone. Georgia will be good but not championship quality.

Kentucky: Stoops has them playing competitively but they will be 1 year away from a good, but not great, bowl.

L.S.U.: Miles is due for another run, if they start well this could be it.

Mississippi: Strong offensive play and a decent defensive effort help the Rebels contend, but depth becomes an issue down the stretch. It will still be a good year for Hoddy Toddy.

Mississippi State: Mullen has a good year, but the SEC West while not the powerhouse 4 team deep division this year still is way above average and MSU makes it to another minor bowl.

Missouri: Mauk is a good quarterback but defense will be an issue for the Columbia Tigers this year. Still playing in the East Mizzou makes a good bowl.

South Carolina: I think it's Spurrier's year to win the East, but they don't go undefeated.

Tennessee: The Vols do play better as a team, and have a surprising win or two, but talent is light on this squad.

Texas A&M: They will need time to mature another great quarterback prospect, so Sumlin's defense better be greatly improved. A middling year for the Aggies.

Vanderbilt: A decent nucleus remains but I don't think the outcome will be as positive as expected.

Wild Speculations in general:

During bowl season realignment rumors of significant proportions arise again, prior to the formalization votes on autonomy at the January meeting of the NCAA.

The rise of conference networks do spur further realignment and consolidation but we do not wind up with a P3, but rather the strengthening of the SEC, Big 10, and PAC and the creation of a new 4th conference.

There will be another conference draft on the SEC board next year.

Enjoy the season.

And by the way Florida State will not win the National Championship, they may not even be undefeated after their first game.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 07:04 PM by JRsec.)
08-24-2014 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
RE: Predictions and Wild Speculations for the 2014 SEC Football Season:
Nice, JR! The only one that is not speculation will be another conference draft next year.
08-24-2014 08:23 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(08-24-2014 07:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Alabama: Quarterback play hampers the Tide all season long. A dominant defense keeps them in contention, but not for a national title. They lose 2 or 3 games this season.

Arkansas: Bielema's defense plays better than expected, but the offense remains ponderous. The Hogs win 5 or 6 games but play close contests most of the season.

Auburn: Malzahn's high powered offense gets off the ground but not without hick-ups. Replacing Tre Mason proves to be the missing piece of the formula. The Tigers start slowly but figure things out before Kansas State. Thank goodness the early schedule is not the strongest part of the competition but if the defense isn't improved it could be a tough start.

Florida: Muschamp is the problem, a new offensive coordinator helps but this is the final season at the Swamp for the head coach.

Kentucky: Stoops has them playing competitively but they will be 1 year away from a good, but not great, bowl.

Mississippi: Strong offensive play and a decent defensive effort help the Rebels contend, but depth becomes an issue down the stretch. It will still be a good year for Hoddy Toddy.

Mississippi State: Mullen has a good year, but the SEC West while not the powerhouse 4 team deep division this year still is way above average and MSU makes it to another minor bowl.

Missouri: Mauk is a good quarterback but defense will be an issue for the Columbia Tigers this year. Still playing in the East Mizzou makes a good bowl.

South Carolina: I think it's Spurrier's year to win the East, but they don't go undefeated.

Tennessee: The Vols do play better as a team, and have a surprising win or two, but talent is light on this squad.

Texas A&M: They will need time to mature another great quarterback prospect, so Sumlin's defense better be greatly improved. A middling year for the Aggies.

Vanderbilt: A decent nucleus remains but I don't think the outcome will be as positive as expected.

During bowl season realignment rumors of significant proportions arise again, prior to the formalization votes on autonomy at the January meeting of the NCAA.

The rise of conference networks do spur further realignment and consolidation but we do not wind up with a P3, but rather the strengthening of the SEC, Big 10, and PAC and the creation of a new 4th conference.

Enjoy the season.

And by the way Florida State will not win the National Championship, they may not even be undefeated after their first game.

All of the above leads to my wild prediction: the SEC will not have a team in the Championship Game.
08-25-2014 12:38 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-25-2014 12:38 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(08-24-2014 07:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Alabama: Quarterback play hampers the Tide all season long. A dominant defense keeps them in contention, but not for a national title. They lose 2 or 3 games this season.

Enjoy the season.

All of the above leads to my wild prediction: the SEC will not have a team in the Championship Game.

Vandiver, our champion will likely have a loss, but I seriously doubt, unless we have a 3 loss champion (which I can't remember having happened, but I haven't looked it up) that our champion will be left out. While it is within the realm of possibility, the probability of that given the SOS within the SEC, the fanaticism of our fan bases, the number eyeballs that the event would lose in the most college sports saturated of the country, and given the desire of the committee to get this new format off the ground, isn't statistically within the realm of likely.

It is why there will be a push to make sure all P5 conferences have a championship game. In competitive conferences the loser of the championship game (everyone's runner up) will likely have 2 losses and that alone will make everyone's 1 loss champion that much more appealing. Outside of the Big 10 and the ACC (the two lowest ranked conferences as to competitiveness) there isn't likely to be many undefeated champions (as the SEC, PAC, and Big 12 have proven).
08-25-2014 01:01 PM
arenafanatic Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cleveland State

Enjoy the season.

Good preview on the teams!

Here's a look at ours: SEC Football Predictions 2014

Last season we had the best score for the SEC in the Stassen.

Should be another exciting season!
08-25-2014 01:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(08-25-2014 01:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Enjoy the season.

Vandiver, our champion will likely have a loss, but I seriously doubt, unless we have a 3 loss champion (which I can't remember having happened, but I haven't looked it up) that our champion will be left out. While it is within the realm of possibility, the probability of that given the SOS within the SEC, the fanaticism of our fan bases, the number eyeballs that the event would lose in the most college sports saturated of the country, and given the desire of the committee to get this new format off the ground, isn't statistically within the realm of likely.

It is why there will be a push to make sure all P5 conferences have a championship game. In competitive conferences the loser of the championship game (everyone's runner up) will likely have 2 losses and that alone will make everyone's 1 loss champion that much more appealing. Outside of the Big 10 and the ACC (the two lowest ranked conferences as to competitiveness) there isn't likely to be many undefeated champions (as the SEC, PAC, and Big 12 have proven).

JR,

An SEC team will make the playoff. I just don't think a team from the SEC will play in the final game. With no team being truly spectacular, I think the injuries will allow a PAC or B1G team to beat out the SEC rep.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-25-2014 03:52 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-25-2014 03:52 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(08-25-2014 01:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Enjoy the season.

JR,

An SEC team will make the playoff. I just don't think a team from the SEC will play in the final game. With no team being truly spectacular, I think the injuries will allow a PAC or B1G team to beat out the SEC rep.

Call me a homer, but any school in the top 4 in the SEC will have more talent on the field and bench than any school in the PAC or Big 10. Urban is slowly changing that at the Horseshoe but he is still a couple of recruiting classes away from putting the Buckeyes back into regular contention. West coast football is simply not a lifestyle like it is in the South. If the SEC loses another National Championship it will be to a Big 12 school or Clemson or Florida State. Really nobody else is in the same talent strata. Seven in a row and almost half of all the BCS championships was not an accident. I'm not saying we will win it every year. Last year Auburn could have won it, but we had no defense and every Auburn fan was floored that we made it in without one. Still with Florida State's successes and their 16 point margin of victory over everyone they faced they needed a last minute pass with a defender knocking another defender out of the way to set up the game winner. They weren't world beaters and several SEC schools with better defenses than Auburn might have taken them. We aren't going to win it every year, but the talent base is just too dominantly in our favor for the SEC to fail to make the final two most years.
08-25-2014 04:07 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
Hawgs are going 7-5 this season.
08-25-2014 07:14 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Missouri lost a lot of good receivers as well.
08-25-2014 08:46 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

(08-25-2014 04:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-25-2014 03:52 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  JR,

Call me a homer, but any school in the top 4 in the SEC will have more talent on the field and bench than any school in the PAC or Big 10. Urban is slowly changing that at the Horseshoe but he is still a couple of recruiting classes away from putting the Buckeyes back into regular contention. West coast football is simply not a lifestyle like it is in the South. If the SEC loses another National Championship it will be to a Big 12 school or Clemson or Florida State. Really nobody else is in the same talent strata. Seven in a row and almost half of all the BCS championships was not an accident. I'm not saying we will win it every year. Last year Auburn could have won it, but we had no defense and every Auburn fan was floored that we made it in without one. Still with Florida State's successes and their 16 point margin of victory over everyone they faced they needed a last minute pass with a defender knocking another defender out of the way to set up the game winner. They weren't world beaters and several SEC schools with better defenses than Auburn might have taken them. We aren't going to win it every year, but the talent base is just too dominantly in our favor for the SEC to fail to make the final two most years.

I'm interested in seeing just how good UCLA will be this year as I think they'll have the firepower to to carry them to the PAC championship. As you stated, no one in the SEC is bringing back a superlative offensive, which is the weakness I think a spread offense could exploit. It's the use of that scheme that allows talent poor teams to match more favorably against the SEC.

That said, this is the wild a** guess thread, I figured that though improbable, the playoff creates a situation where its at least possible for the SEC to not be represented in the last game.
08-26-2014 07:07 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Gamecocks undefeated National Champs, win every game by 20 points
08-26-2014 07:56 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(08-26-2014 07:56 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Gamecocks undefeated National Champs, win every game by 20 points

Gotta love a positive attitude Gamecock. This might just be your year. And if that comes, I am behind you guys 110%.04-cheers04-bow
08-26-2014 10:37 PM
Blue Dynasty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kentucky
We win a conference game this year! Vandy, you're on notice!! :)
08-26-2014 11:12 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(08-26-2014 11:12 PM)Blue Dynasty Wrote:  We win a conference game this year! Vandy, you're on notice!! :)
Some nice recruiting been going on at Kentucky recently...04-cheers
08-27-2014 12:51 AM
Blue Dynasty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kentucky
(08-27-2014 12:51 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(08-26-2014 11:12 PM)Blue Dynasty Wrote:  We win a conference game this year! Vandy, you're on notice!! :)
Some nice recruiting been going on at Kentucky recently...04-cheers

Indeed! Things are definitely looking up. Things turned out quite smashingly for you guys in year one in the SEC, I'd say! 04-cheers
08-27-2014 11:24 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-26-2014 07:56 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Gamecocks undefeated National Champs, win every game by 20 points

Sorry Gamecock, I hope you guys peck UGA's eyes out!
08-29-2014 04:46 AM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

Whelp, this dream is DOA. It was hard for me to tell last night if A&M's offense is really that good, SCAR's defense truly that horrific or was the play a result of the rule changes. It seemed like Spurrier was seriously contemplating retirement during the post game presser.
08-29-2014 07:34 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I think the Vandy coach threw his entire summer camp plan in the trash last night. He panicked and made some really silly moves.
08-29-2014 04:38 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-29-2014 04:38 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I think the Vandy coach threw his entire summer camp plan in the trash last night. He panicked and made some really silly moves.

Medic, he may have panicked, but he was in no way prepared as a coach, and certainly had not prepared his team for competition. The inescapable truth is that he hasn't done his job, period. The lack of understanding what has to be done to get ready leaves little hope for the rest of the season.
08-29-2014 04:44 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(08-29-2014 04:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-29-2014 04:38 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I think the Vandy coach threw his entire summer camp plan in the trash last night. He panicked and made some really silly moves.

Medic, he may have panicked, but he was in no way prepared as a coach, and certainly had not prepared his team for competition. The inescapable truth is that he hasn't done his job, period. The lack of understanding what has to be done to get ready leaves little hope for the rest of the season.
Yep. I was trying to be polite, but this coach was totally over his head. That brought early panic. You jerk your carefully selected first string QB in the first quarter while you are still tied 7-7. Mind boggling...01-lauramac2
08-29-2014 06:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.