Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SOT: Why hasn't Eastern Washington and/or Sam Houston State made the jump yet?
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
Both would be solid FBS teams, plus they would've held together the WAC which would've helped both have an easier transition than say joining MWC or CUSA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
08-23-2014 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: SOT: Why hasn't Eastern Washington and/or Sam Houston State made the jump yet?
I assume the red turf distracted you from the fact that EWU's stadium seats 8,600, and that their average attendance is less than 7k. Their largest crowd ever is 12k.

Sam Houston State's stadium seats 14k, and their largest crowd ever is 16k. They average 8k. SHSU has never won the FCS national title.

Having followed the top of FCS for a long time, there is strong football at the top, and any FCS program with a top ten ranking can probably play with most of the bottom half of FBS. Neither of these school are positioned to join FBS.
08-23-2014 07:08 PM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
RE: SOT: Why hasn't Eastern Washington and/or Sam Houston State made the jump yet?
(08-23-2014 07:08 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  I assume the red turf distracted you from the fact that EWU's stadium seats 8,600, and that their average attendance is less than 7k. Their largest crowd ever is 12k.

Sam Houston State's stadium seats 14k, and their largest crowd ever is 16k. They average 8k. SHSU has never won the FCS national title.

Having followed the top of FCS for a long time, there is strong football at the top, and any FCS program with a top ten ranking can probably play with most of the bottom half of FBS. Neither of these school are positioned to join FBS.

There are more than a few FBS programs that would struggle to fill those stadiums and 3 maybe 4 of them reside in this conference.
08-24-2014 12:55 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Sam Houston doesn't have the facilities, I have played in high school stadiums that puts theirs to shame. Our first year, UTSA played at Sam Houston and the visiting locker room's A/C wasn't working, so our players had to sit outside during halftime.

[Image: ELPKYRHXQQYTLZU.20110113212545.jpg]
08-24-2014 09:32 AM
The Flagship Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Nobody wants/needs them.
08-24-2014 10:52 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(08-23-2014 02:54 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  Both would be solid FBS teams, plus they would've held together the WAC which would've helped both have an easier transition than say joining MWC or CUSA.

Why didn't you start this thread on the AAC board? Matter of fact, why are you still starting threads here? Just curious.
08-24-2014 11:15 AM
Advertisement

Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
Yeah, SHSU is a solid FCS program, but that's where it pretty much ends. Their records against some mid-majors don't really impress...

0-2 vs Boise State (before BSU's surge onto the national scene)
0-1 vs. Central Michigan
2-4 vs. Houston (wins coming in '46 and '47)
9-8-1 vs. ULL (not bad, but their last meeting was in 2000)
0-2-1 vs. La Tech (the tie was in '26)
1-1 vs. MTSU (win coming in '56)
1-0 vs. New Mexico (2011)
0-1 vs. Nevada
11-17-1 vs. North Texas (have actually beaten UNT the last 5 times they've played 'em but the last meeting was in '93)
1-0-1 vs. Southern Miss (last meeting was '40)
0-2 vs. UTEP
1-0 vs UTSA (but that was our very first season and our team was all freshmen, 22-7 score)
36-48-4 vs. Texas State
0-1 vs. Tulsa
0-1 vs. Utah State
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 11:32 AM by Volkmar.)
08-24-2014 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Sam is located in a football crazy state, has been on a run of very successful FCS seasons and still doesn't draw that well.

Think that's what is called a red flag.
08-24-2014 01:26 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Washington St. is probably the weakest P5 program and certainly the weakest state university program in the P5.
Idaho is the weakest or 2nd weakest program in FBS. Eastern Washington is a smaller school not far from either of them. There's not the population to support FBS at EWU.
08-24-2014 02:17 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte/Latech
Both schools receive slot of transfers and moving up would hurt them in that regard. Both have a long ways to go to become FBS
08-24-2014 02:20 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

(08-24-2014 02:17 PM)bullet Wrote:  Washington St. is probably the weakest P5 program and certainly the weakest state university program in the P5.
Idaho is the weakest or 2nd weakest program in FBS. Eastern Washington is a smaller school not far from either of them. There's not the population to support FBS at EWU.

Honest truth
08-24-2014 02:21 PM
Advertisement

dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
(08-24-2014 02:17 PM)bullet Wrote:  Washington St. is probably the weakest P5 program and certainly the weakest state university program in the P5.

A couple of things:

-It's hard to pick who's weakest or second weakest when there are so many struggling programs at the bottom. Washington State and Idaho struggle, but it's not like they've always struggled - both schools were successful in the FBS for several years before the bottom fell out. On the Idaho side, it was lack of administrative support that killed things, not lack of community support. For WSU, your guess is as good as mine.

-EWU is the only D1 football school in the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area, which has a population of roughly 700,000 people. There are plenty of people that'd go to games if they brought in compelling opponents. It's more convenient than driving 90 minutes to Pullman or Moscow.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 02:40 PM by dmacfour.)
08-24-2014 02:22 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
[Image: GatewayTopper.jpg]
EWU is expanding their stadium to 18,000 in the next couple of years.

http://sites.ewu.edu/foundation/2012/04/...y-project/

EWU is the only other DI football school in Washington, besides the PAC12 ones, so its often an FCS power. They can take a lot of talent that is more suited for the MWC just because there is no MWC school in Washington or Oregon. EWU's location near Spokane doesn't hurt either. Wash St and Idaho have much more remote locations for fan attendance.

Texas St has seen increases in attendance because they went FBS. A school like Sam Houston would see an increase too, because often their fans have dual allegiances with another FBS school in the state. Their admin knows that if they moved up, it would change the state's perception of the school from one that plays "DII" to one on par with Texas St, N Texas, and UTSA.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 02:42 PM by NoDak.)
08-24-2014 02:36 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

If they do expand to 18k and can continue to grow then someone might take a chance on them. But your location is better than WSU and idaho but Gonzaga is most outsiders peoples 3rd team in Washington. They have better name recognition but I don't believe they play football.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 03:00 PM by RustonCAT.)
08-24-2014 03:00 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
As for Sam, nobody wants them.
08-24-2014 03:31 PM
dmacfour Offline
All American

I Root For: Idaho Vandals
(08-24-2014 03:00 PM)RustonCAT Wrote:  If they do expand to 18k and can continue to grow then someone might take a chance on them. But your location is better than WSU and idaho but Gonzaga is most outsiders peoples 3rd team in Washington. They have better name recognition but I don't believe they play football.

There's a football vacuum up here. Spokane has an existing 29k seat football venue, so there's at least something to work with.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 03:57 PM by dmacfour.)
08-24-2014 03:56 PM
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(08-24-2014 11:15 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(08-23-2014 02:54 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  Both would be solid FBS teams, plus they would've held together the WAC which would've helped both have an easier transition than say joining MWC or CUSA.

Why didn't you start this thread on the AAC board? Matter of fact, why are you still starting threads here? Just curious.

I started the same thread at both forums. And I'm starting threads over here still cause there is no rule against it. Now either grow up or shut up.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 05:42 PM by PurpleReigns.)
08-24-2014 05:41 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
EWU will have the sixth BSC stadium over 17500 .
The only way they are moving up is a new conference.
08-24-2014 07:03 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(08-24-2014 05:41 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  
(08-24-2014 11:15 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

I started the same thread at both forums. And I'm starting threads over here still cause there is no rule against it. Now either grow up or shut up.

You started an expansion thread knowing damn well that the CUSA board is tired of talking expansion. The thread wasn't even CUSA related.

That is why you have this board, to talk expansion until your heart stop pumping blood. So just be nice and stop littering other conference forums regarding expansion threads (like you're suppose to do) and post it here instead.

Then you don't have to tell people to grow up when in actuality, you're telling yourself to grow up! Sheesshhhh!!!
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2014 05:28 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
08-25-2014 05:25 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

Or I start a thread where I want it to be not where others think it should be.

08-25-2014 10:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.