Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Air too thin so Dodgers moving Triple AAA team from Albuquerque to OKC
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Dodger organization feels the thin air of Albuquerque (elevation over 5,000 feet) makes it difficult to accurately assess their prospects. Story in today's Daily Oklahoman.

The MWC Conference holds a dubious statistic: The home team has the highest winning percentage than any other NonBCS or BCS conference. The timing of pass plays and the kicking game go out of whack on a MWC home field.

Just one of many reasons I am so glad Tulsa is out of MWC.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 12:57 PM by Tallgrass.)
08-23-2014 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: Dodgers moving Triple AAA team from Albuquerque to OKC
When were they ever IN the MWC? 07-coffee3 (Half joking of course, I know what you mean).
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 12:29 PM by C2__.)
08-23-2014 12:28 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Air too thin so Dodgers moving Triple AAA team from Albuquerque to OKC
I wouldn't just say what Tallgrass said, but also for Tulsa just the time zone differences just is an absolute killer. Great move for them when they went to CUSA and now in the AAC.
08-23-2014 05:45 PM
msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
The AAA team in OKC is currently a Houston Astros affiliate. Does Houston make the ABQ team their AAA? or do they put their AAA team somewhere new? The Tulsa AA team is a Rockies affiliate but they average enough fans to warrant being AAA so maybe they go after them? I can't imagine OKC would host both AAA teams.

Here is an outside the box idea, make Monterrey Sultanes the Astros AAA team. They have the highest attendance of any minor league team and aren't that far from Houston.
08-23-2014 06:02 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-23-2014 06:02 PM)msu_bears Wrote:  The AAA team in OKC is currently a Houston Astros affiliate. Does Houston make the ABQ team their AAA? or do they put their AAA team somewhere new? The Tulsa AA team is a Rockies affiliate but they average enough fans to warrant being AAA so maybe they go after them? I can't imagine OKC would host both AAA teams.

Here is an outside the box idea, make Monterrey Sultanes the Astros AAA team. They have the highest attendance of any minor league team and aren't that far from Houston.

Cartel violence? main reason it won't happen anytime soon but someday, yes.
08-23-2014 06:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
The Padres wanted to move their AAA team closer to San Diego (Escondido IIRC) so perhaps there's an opening there.

Just for reference, here's the Pacific Coast League:

American North - Omaha, Iowa, Oklahoma City, Colorado Springs
American South - Round Rock (TX), Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans
Pacific North - Sacramento, Reno, Tacoma, Fresno
Pacific South - El Paso, Albuquerque, Salt Lake, Las Vegas

In this case the team is not relocating, but the Dodgers will affiliate with OKC when they acquire the team there. The Rockies may wind up with ABQ as they may not renew the affiliation agreement with Colorado Springs. Fresno, Sacramento, and Nashville may change parent clubs as well.
08-23-2014 06:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blue Dynasty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kentucky
If I recall correctly, all minor league affiliation deals with major league parent clubs expire after two years... so if an extension isn't signed before that two-year deal expires, the minor league organizations are "free agents", so to speak, like baseball players themselves after their initial contracts expire. It's almost like musical chairs, MLB clubs try to come to terms with the more desirable minor league organizations and not be left with a bad org. The team I follow, for instance, the Cincinnati Reds, were the last to work out a deal a couple years ago with their High-A affiliate, and they wound up with the last girl left at the dance, the Bakersfield Blaze, widely considered one of the worst, if not THE worst, organization in minor league baseball.

I don't believe the Dodgers would be technically relocating the ABQ team to OKC, but rather working behind the scenes to come up with an agreement with OKC, who's probably interested themselves in upgrading their major league parent to the Dodgers.
08-23-2014 10:05 PM
Rube Dali Online
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
A few points:

1: Some teams like to extend affiliations for more than two years, some even extend the agreements long term mostly because they like the organization they're working with.

2: Most minor-league teams are independently owned and operated by local owners, rather than by MLB teams themselves(The Braves are the exception, with one exception). The major league club provides the players* and coaching staff, while the local ownership runs the day-to-day operations, sometimes also providing the general manager.

3: What does this have to do with College Realignment?

*Most of them, some players are contracted to play for the affiliate, not the Major Leage club.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 11:10 PM by Rube Dali.)
08-23-2014 11:09 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(08-23-2014 06:02 PM)msu_bears Wrote:  The AAA team in OKC is currently a Houston Astros affiliate. Does Houston make the ABQ team their AAA? or do they put their AAA team somewhere new? The Tulsa AA team is a Rockies affiliate but they average enough fans to warrant being AAA so maybe they go after them? I can't imagine OKC would host both AAA teams.

The Astros owner would like to purchase an existing team and relocate it to The Woodlands or Conroe, if he can get a stadium built.
08-24-2014 06:59 AM
nbcards Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
(08-23-2014 11:09 PM)Rube Dali Wrote:  A few points:

1: Some teams like to extend affiliations for more than two years, some even extend the agreements long term mostly because they like the organization they're working with.

2: Most minor-league teams are independently owned and operated by local owners, rather than by MLB teams themselves(The Braves are the exception, with one exception). The major league club provides the players* and coaching staff, while the local ownership runs the day-to-day operations, sometimes also providing the general manager.

3: What does this have to do with College Realignment?

*Most of them, some players are contracted to play for the affiliate, not the Major Leage club.

Cardinals also own most of their affiliates. Cardinals own their AAA, AA, High A, and 3 Rookie Teams
08-24-2014 09:29 AM
BoiseStateOfMind Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BSU & Seahawks
The team's been in Albuquerque since 2003, affiliated with the Dodgers since 2009, and they just now are deciding that the air's too thin?
08-24-2014 12:38 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Where were they in 2002, Springfield? (someone will get this)
08-24-2014 01:23 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Springfield Cardinals were the El Paso Diablos.

None of us in Central Arkansas were very happy losing our Cardinals affiliation, Travs are now with the Los Angeles Angels of California Angels, Los Angeles.
08-24-2014 01:29 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Here's a dead giveaway, look up the Albuquerque baseball team's mascot if you don't know it already.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 08:36 PM by C2__.)
08-24-2014 06:39 PM
msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
(08-24-2014 01:29 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Springfield Cardinals were the El Paso Diablos.

None of us in Central Arkansas were very happy losing our Cardinals affiliation, Travs are now with the Los Angeles Angels of California Angels, Los Angeles.

The Springfield Cardinals began play in the 2005 season. Prior to the 2005 season, the St. Louis Cardinals Class AA affiliate was the Tennessee Smokies located near Sevierville, Tennessee.
08-24-2014 06:51 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(08-24-2014 06:51 PM)msu_bears Wrote:  
(08-24-2014 01:29 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Springfield Cardinals were the El Paso Diablos.

The Springfield Cardinals began play in the 2005 season. Prior to the 2005 season, the St. Louis Cardinals Class AA affiliate was the Tennessee Smokies located near Sevierville, Tennessee.

The Cardinals franchise came from El Paso. The cardinals affiliation came from TN. The Cardinals pulled their affiliation after 2000 because Ray Winder Field was dump (at the time third oldest pro ball park). Travs were a Cardinals affiliate 1966 to 2000. Hope was they'd come back when Dickey-Stephens opened instead they bought Springfield.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-24-2014 07:01 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
If only Albuquerque were located in a higher elevation when the Dodgers established it's AAA team there, this could have been foreseen by someone with a shrewd eye to the future. Alas, who possibly could have foreseen this so the Dodgers are stuck?
08-24-2014 08:24 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Seems like the Rockies should sign up Albuquerque. That way they can more accurately assess their how their talent will play at home 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2014 09:49 AM by adcorbett.)
08-25-2014 09:48 AM
NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(08-25-2014 09:48 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  Seems like the Rockies should sign up Albuquerque. That way they can more accurately assess their how their talent will play at home 05-stirthepot

Why sign up Albuquerque when they already have Colorado Springs, which is also at high altitude?

If this is really a huge issue, it does call into question whether both Colorado Springs and Albuquerque are viable AAA cities.

Perhaps one (Albuquerque) would have to drop to the AA Texas League, as a Rockies affiliate?
08-25-2014 09:56 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(08-24-2014 01:23 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Where were they in 2002, Springfield? (someone will get this)

I got it. Everybody else: 03-banghead
08-25-2014 11:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.