He signed a one year extension that will carry him thru 2015-2016 season
08-21-2014 03:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Shields signs extension
(08-21-2014 03:07 PM)RBL Wrote:  He signed a one year extension that will carry him thru 2015-2016 season

Well there you go.04-cheers
08-21-2014 05:40 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Which means virtually nothing.
08-21-2014 06:19 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(08-21-2014 05:40 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  
(08-21-2014 03:07 PM)RBL Wrote:  He signed a one year extension that will carry him thru 2015-2016 season

Well there you go.04-cheers

I've already gone. I told the ticket guy when he called that I wasn't renewing, and why. He talked to me for a good 30 minutes trying to change my mind. He offered me the seats I had and said he'd take off the seat fee($50 a seat)if I'd give it one more year. And now they give him an extension before they even take the court for this season. Sure glad I bailed when I did and didn't re-up for this season. That's an insult to the people who want a good viable program here bad enough to make our protest by not buying tickets. I expected for him to get extended if he had a good year, but now, before he's won a ballgame. I'm done now, officially. Will still support baseball since they have a new coach. Sure wish I could just buy women's tickets, but looks like they'll play most games on the same night as the men. I hate to leave Foley and his bunch. He's a real winner.
08-21-2014 07:15 PM
RBL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Little Rock
Shields signs extension
Hey Bob - you don't have to wait for Baseball. Check out the Volleyball schedule. Those ladies are preseason picks to win the belt & they are easy on the eyes.
08-22-2014 06:03 AM
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Personally, I love steve but this is bad news for the program as it is dying. This will force the hand of more people.
08-22-2014 11:17 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
I wouldn't read too much into that. If it were an extension of a five-year contract, maybe so. If they had already determined to fire him, then they wouldn't extend it at all. But if he is on an "or else" mandate, then they give him one year to work with from an administrative standpoint that won't bankrupt the program if they have to buy it out, but wouldn't cripple the coach going into the next season in case he has a really good year and they decide to keep him.
08-22-2014 12:39 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2014 12:39 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I wouldn't read too much into that. If it were an extension of a five-year contract, maybe so. If they had already determined to fire him, then they wouldn't extend it at all. But if he is on an "or else" mandate, then they give him one year to work with from an administrative standpoint that won't bankrupt the program if they have to buy it out, but wouldn't cripple the coach going into the next season in case he has a really good year and they decide to keep him.

I think this takes Steve off the reported "hot seat" for this season. I believe the next two seasons will be the best this program has seen in a long while. If that doesn't happen he will likely be gone in 2 years. There is always "pressure" on a coach, but he won't have to worry about being fired after this season. The lack of a money game suggests to me that our budget is fine, but I doubt money to buy out even a one year contract is there. Not putting that pressure on the staff and players may be a good thing. We'll find out soon enough.
08-22-2014 01:33 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(08-22-2014 01:33 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 12:39 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I wouldn't read too much into that. If it were an extension of a five-year contract, maybe so. If they had already determined to fire him, then they wouldn't extend it at all. But if he is on an "or else" mandate, then they give him one year to work with from an administrative standpoint that won't bankrupt the program if they have to buy it out, but wouldn't cripple the coach going into the next season in case he has a really good year and they decide to keep him.

I think this takes Steve off the reported "hot seat" for this season. I believe the next two seasons will be the best this program has seen in a long while. If that doesn't happen he will likely be gone in 2 years. There is always "pressure" on a coach, but he won't have to worry about being fired after this season. The lack of a money game suggests to me that our budget is fine, but I doubt money to buy out even a one year contract is there. Not putting that pressure on the staff and players may be a good thing. We'll find out soon enough.

I don't think he's ever been on the "hot seat" with his buddy as the AD, and he shouldn't have to worry, he and Peterson will see another "extension" after this year. Evidently they are a team, and joined at the hip.
08-22-2014 02:25 PM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

Don Maistri's 27 year record at Troy might be in jeopardy!
08-22-2014 03:25 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2014 03:25 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Don Maistri's 27 year record at Troy might be in jeopardy!

If Steve is here in two years, I think there is good chance you may be right. A postseason bid, in the next two years, and he will get a another 5 year extension. At that point he will be about 75% of the way there.
08-23-2014 09:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.