Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Qatar and HAMAS
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
Qatar and HAMAS
If the enemy of my enemy is my friend, what is the friend of a friend of John Kerry (HAMAS and Qatar, respectively)? (of course, in the interest of full disclosure, that logic puts me in a tough position as well)

Qatar 'threatened to expel Mashaal' if he agreed to Egypt deal | The Times of Israel

http://www.timesofisrael.com/qatar-repor...l-mashaal/ Wrote:Qatar reportedly threatened to expel Hamas politburo chief Khaled Mashaal if the Gaza-based terror organization agreed to the terms of the ceasefire framework put forth by Egypt.

Arabic daily Al-Hayat reported Wednesday that Doha warned it would deport Mashaal if he approved the agreement in its current form, without insisting that Hamas’s demands — which include the construction of a seaport and airport in the Gaza Strip — be met.

Hamas has continuously rejected an Egyptian proposal for a long-term ceasefire with Israel, with spokesman Osama Hamdan saying Saturday that Israel must either accepts its demands — including for a lifting of the security blockade on Gaza — or face “a war of attrition.”

At the same time, Hamas’s military wing in Gaza declared, “We are continuing our struggle.”

In Qatar, Mashaal responded to the proposal by declaring that “The Palestinian people will continue their struggle until they end the occupation, the colonization and the siege [on Gaza].”

Mashaal said Hamas was not withdrawing any of its demands, and insisted on the full lifting of the blockade, and the establishment of a Gaza seaport and airport.

Abbas on Saturday publicly broke ranks with the Islamist organization, declaring in Ramallah that there was no alternative but to “stick to” the Egyptian proposal.

What does Mashaal mean by "the occupation" and "the colonization"? Those are euphemisms for the existence of Israel.

Some of Qatar's objections are related to a pissing match between Qatar and Egypt. But, Qatar has funded - each to the tune of Billions - HAMAS, Muslim Brotherhood/Egypt, and Muslim Brotherhood/Syria, as well as ISIS (I don't know how much they have given or if that continues).

I think the narrative that HAMAS is an Iranian client needs to be put to rest. There was a period when they relied heavily on Iran, and Iran does supply arms to HAMAS along with North Korea. But, HAMAS is not Hezbollah - HAMAS are Arab Sunnis and have traditionally had broad support and funding from the Arab world. At this juncture, every Arab state except Qatar is behind Israel in wanting HAMAS destroyed, but Qatar is at odds with most of the Arab states.
08-20-2014 01:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.