Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Canadian Basketball & Carleton/Ottawa Fans
Bookmark and Share
Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Canadian Basketball & Carleton/Ottawa Fans
Somehow, quite a few of them found out who I was and that I was posting here and on Roar. The first couple of times I told them that they were thinking of Grant. After that, I didn't bother. After Saturday's game a few of them came up to me and asked me to post about the players having 5 years of eligibility. On Sunday 5-6 people approached me. Yesterday, at least a dozen came up to me with some variation of you're Stammers, to you're that guy that's posting on those message boards. Here are a few points.

General
- Last year 74 Canadians played on NCAA D1 teams, and this number has been rising every year. 10 years ago there were less than a handful.
- In Canada, you have 6 years to play 5
- Oddly enough, many Canadian schools lose players to NCAA schools because the academic requirements are too stringent for a lot of players to meet them

Carleton
- I'm almost 100% sure that Carleton had either a coach or a representative of the university scouting us at the McGill game. He was wearing a Carleton shirt and was taking notes
- The Scrubb brothers ARE eligible to play the 2014-2015 season
- Carleton lost 2 starters from last year and a key reserve
- One gentleman claimed that Carleton has two recruits that are potentially as good as the Scrubbs that didn't play. One had a knee injury, the other isn't cleared academically
- Another gentleman mentioned that in the first Carleton game; we shot 34 free throws compared to their 18.

Ottawa
- Graduated a player that was better than Scrubb
- Just signed a transfer eligible for 1 season that was 3rd in the entire country in scoring last year.

Toronto is neck and neck with Chicago and DFW for 3rd position, as the most highly populated metropolitan areas in the US and Canada. Toronto is already putting out a lot of D1 talent, and will be in the top 5 states/provinces for years to come. I also believe that we are going to see some players from Canadian universities play in the NBA. The last 4 days have been a real eye opener to say the least.
08-20-2014 09:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigerbluesky Offline
Banned

RE: Canadian Basketball & Carleton/Ottawa Fans
(08-20-2014 09:12 AM)Stammers Wrote:  Somehow, quite a few of them found out who I was and that I was posting here and on Roar. The first couple of times I told them that they were thinking of Grant. After that, I didn't bother. After Saturday's game a few of them came up to me and asked me to post about the players having 5 years of eligibility. On Sunday 5-6 people approached me. Yesterday, at least a dozen came up to me with some variation of you're Stammers, to you're that guy that's posting on those message boards. Here are a few points.

General
- Last year 74 Canadians played on NCAA D1 teams, and this number has been rising every year. 10 years ago there were less than a handful.
- Oddly enough, many Canadian schools lose players to NCAA schools because the academic requirements are too stringent for a lot of players to meet them

Carleton
- I'm almost 100% sure that Carleton had either a coach or a representative of the university scouting us at the McGill game. He was wearing a Carleton shirt and was taking notes
- One gentleman claimed that Carleton has two recruits that are potentially as good as the Scrubbs that didn't play. One had a knee injury, the other isn't cleared academically
- Another gentleman mentioned that in the first Carleton game; we shot 34 free throws compared to their 18.

Ottawa
- Just signed a transfer eligible for 1 season that was 3rd in the entire country in scoring last year.

Toronto is neck and neck with Chicago and DFW for 3rd position, as the most highly populated metropolitan areas in the US and Canada. Toronto is already putting out a lot of D1 talent, and will be in the top 5 states/provinces for years to come. I also believe that we are going to see some players from Canadian universities play in the NBA. The last 4 days have been a real eye opener to say the least.

Maybe Pastner ought to start recruiting a Scrubb like player from Canada. One shooter like that would potentially do wonders for opening up our inside game even more.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 09:18 AM by Tigerbluesky.)
08-20-2014 09:17 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(08-20-2014 09:17 AM)Tigerbluesky Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 09:12 AM)Stammers Wrote:  Somehow, quite a few of them found out who I was and that I was posting here and on Roar. The first couple of times I told them that they were thinking of Grant. After that, I didn't bother. After Saturday's game a few of them came up to me and asked me to post about the players having 5 years of eligibility. On Sunday 5-6 people approached me. Yesterday, at least a dozen came up to me with some variation of you're Stammers, to you're that guy that's posting on those message boards. Here are a few points.

General

Carleton

Ottawa

Maybe Pastner ought to start recruiting a Scrubb like player from Canada. One shooter like that would potentially do wonders for opening up our inside game even more.

We've got Avery Woodson
08-20-2014 09:21 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(08-20-2014 09:17 AM)Tigerbluesky Wrote:  

General

Carleton

Ottawa

Maybe Pastner ought to start recruiting a Scrubb like player from Canada. One shooter like that would potentially do wonders for opening up our inside play even more.

My friends from Ottawa told me that Carleton and Ottawa ran amazing offenses and that all the players could shoot. That turned out to be more than true. The players all seem to figure out a way to get square to the basket when the ball leaves their hand. Also, I don't think that Carleton took more than a half dozen bad shots in the two games. They got what they wanted 90% of the time.

Possibly the most impressive thing I saw the entire trip was Carleton's bench warmers running their offense to perfection and getting a layup against us when the game was winding down yesterday. I don't think that they had a player over 6'4 on the floor; nor did they have a player good enough to play D1 basketball. The way Carleton and Ottawa threw the ball around was spectacular.
08-20-2014 09:22 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Have you seen or know enough about the Scrubb brothers to offer an opinion whether they're NBA good?
08-20-2014 09:23 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-20-2014 09:22 AM)Stammers Wrote:  My friends from Ottawa told me that Carleton and Ottawa ran amazing offenses and that all the players could shoot. That turned out to be more than true. The players all seem to figure out a way to get square to the basket when the ball leaves their hand. Also, I don't think that Carleton took more than a half dozen bad shots in the two games. They got what they wanted 90% of the time.

Possibly the most impressive thing I saw the entire trip was Carleton's bench warmers running their offense to perfection and getting a layup against us when the game was winding down yesterday. I don't think that they had a player over 6'4 on the floor; nor did they have a player good enough to play D1 basketball. The way Carleton and Ottawa threw the ball around was spectacular.

Hope Pastner has the team watching that tape the next 2 months.
08-20-2014 09:27 AM
Advertisement

TJT Offline
Headless Thompson Gunner

I Root For: another beer
(08-20-2014 09:22 AM)Stammers Wrote:  My friends from Ottawa told me that Carleton and Ottawa ran amazing offenses and that all the players could shoot. That turned out to be more than true. The players all seem to figure out a way to get square to the basket when the ball leaves their hand. Also, I don't think that Carleton took more than a half dozen bad shots in the two games. They got what they wanted 90% of the time.

I wish our teams played like that.
08-20-2014 09:27 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(08-20-2014 09:23 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Have you seen or know enough about the Scrubb brothers to offer an opinion whether they're NBA good?

I don't see enough games live to say one way or the other. Maybe if I saw the games on tv I would be able to tell. The other thing, is that none of our guards are very good defenders right now. I think that Pookie and Markel are ok, but it wasn't a fair test for Scrubb, if you can believe it.

Any way you slice it, he's a big time player. He scored 35 in the first game and had 32 against Villanova in 2012. Carleton isn't a one truck pony. Scrubb didn't play against Indiana and Carleton still only lost by 10.
08-20-2014 09:29 AM
TJT Offline
Headless Thompson Gunner

Everything Stammers said about Carleton could be said about Wichita State.

Hopefully the guys who didn't play in Canada can make up at least 30 point difference.
08-20-2014 09:34 AM
TheJesBro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofM
(08-20-2014 09:27 AM)TJT Wrote:  

How is the AAU system in Canada? So many of our players have bad habits from AAU; well, they are typical problems that I would associate with AAU style games, so I am assuming.
08-20-2014 09:35 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

I haven't seen any NCAA teams run their offense or shoot like that. The closest that come to mind are some of Bobby Knight's old teams. I played basketball with my friend in Ottawa when we were both in school. 10 minutes into the first Carleton game, I mentioned to him that their offense looked a lot like ours when we played almost 30 years ago. Lots of movement designed for interchangeable players that can do everything well.

Aside from actually trying to duplicate it; it wouldn't be a good fit for us. Every player has to be able to shoot from 20' out. Throw in the fact that every Carleton player was a very good shooter and it probably wouldn't work for us.
08-20-2014 09:38 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(08-20-2014 09:35 AM)TheJesBro Wrote:  

How is the AAU system in Canada? So many of our players have bad habits from AAU; well, they are typical problems that I would associate with AAU style games, so I am assuming.

We don't have a lot of bigs yet, so there isn't much separation between the guards and forwards, in terms of how they are taught.

Canada doesn't really need an AAU program, because the rules aren't restrictive regarding what you are allowed and not allowed to do during the summer. Carleton and Ottawa's rosters are full of local kids that have probably played with or against each other for 5-10 years. Throw in being eligible to play for 5 years and it becomes quite easy to become fundamentally sound and run a good offense.

McGill was badly overmatched physically, but I thought that they also ran a nice offense.
08-20-2014 09:41 AM
TheJesBro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofM
(08-20-2014 09:29 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(08-20-2014 09:23 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Have you seen or know enough about the Scrubb brothers to offer an opinion whether they're NBA good?

I don't see enough games live to say one way or the other. Maybe if I saw the games on tv I would be able to tell. The other thing, is that none of our guards are very good defenders right now. I think that Pookie and Markel are ok, but it wasn't a fair test for Scrubb, if you can believe it.

Any way you slice it, he's a big time player. He scored 35 in the first game and had 32 against Villanova in 2012. Carleton isn't a one truck pony. Scrubb didn't play against Indiana and Carleton still only lost by 10.

Do you not want no Scrubb? Is he a guy that can't get no love from you?Does he hang out of the passenger side of his best friends ride and try to hollar at you?
08-20-2014 09:41 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(08-20-2014 09:34 AM)TJT Wrote:  Everything Stammers said about Carleton could be said about Wichita State.

Hopefully the guys who didn't play in Canada can make up at least 30 point difference.

Carleton would have beaten Wichita State like they beat everyone else.
08-20-2014 09:42 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(08-20-2014 09:34 AM)TJT Wrote:  Everything Stammers said about Carleton could be said about Wichita State.

Wichita State isn't anything like Carleton. They have more of a focus on defense rather than offense. That game is months away. I expect that we will probably lose it because it's early in the season and they are pretty talented. I do expect us to be quite a bit different as a team by then.
08-20-2014 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TJT Offline
Headless Thompson Gunner

(08-20-2014 09:42 AM)Stammers Wrote:  

Then we should hire the Carleton coach.
08-20-2014 09:58 AM
Advertisement

holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-20-2014 09:42 AM)Stammers Wrote:  

Dang
08-20-2014 10:02 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I believe it is less their offense and more our defense. We tend to be so confused at times...Too much switching and helping leading to players being lost
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 10:07 AM by macgar32.)
08-20-2014 10:05 AM
ZachMan Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tigers
I know it is only exhibition and I understand that this can look totally different come November but I really hope we lose the mentality that it is somehow ok to get down 10 or 12 and mail it in and get drummed. I want kids that hate to lose and it really bothers them to get beat even if they are playing checkers with their sister. We have a long way to go on the toughness front in my opinion which translates to defense.
08-20-2014 10:25 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(08-20-2014 10:25 AM)ZachMan Wrote:  I know it is only exhibition and I understand that this can look totally different come November but I really hope we lose the mentality that it is somehow ok to get down 10 or 12 and mail it in and get drummed. I want kids that hate to lose and it really bothers them to get beat even if they are playing checkers with their sister. We have a long way to go on the toughness front in my opinion which translates to defense.

The coaches have only put in a few plays on offense, so the players as a unit, probably haven't played against a structured offense. Throw in the fact that both offenses are lethal, and falling behind early makes perfect sense. Nichols didn't participate and Hawkins has been nicked, so the players probably hadn't played together as a 5 man unit.

Quote:I want kids that hate to lose and it really bothers them to get beat even if they are playing checkers with their sister.

People who make these statements have generally never played sports and have never been in a team setting before. Maybe 1 out of 20 competitive athletes don't hate losing.
08-20-2014 10:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.