WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dline
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Dline
During Drews live chat he predicted the starting Dline would be.......

Quote:David Drew | ddrew1@mlive.com 2 hours ago
@Torre If I had to list starters: Turner, Smith, Curle, Adams. Backups: McKinney, Simpkins, Ash, Braster.

So he has Cleveland Smith at DT? 6'1" 233 pounds.

Someone calls him on that and he walks it back that it could be Ash as well.

Smith played DE last year. I can't see a guy with his size blowing a 310 center off the line. Has to be an error.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2...cart_river

I'd have to believe it's

DE Turner/McKinney/Braster
DE Adams/Lee/Smith
DT Ash/Curle
DT Simpkins/Matich unless he RSs
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 02:48 PM by Chipdip2.)
08-19-2014 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: Dline
If Ash doesn't start on our D-Line...I'd be absolutely shocked.
08-19-2014 02:46 PM
Chibronco Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I thought I read somewhere that Cleveland put on weight....I thought he was in the 260~270 range????? I could be completely mistaken though.
08-19-2014 02:48 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2014 02:48 PM)Chibronco Wrote:  I thought I read somewhere that Cleveland put on weight....I thought he was in the 260~270 range????? I could be completely mistaken though.

Could be. Im just going on Roster weights
08-19-2014 02:52 PM
Advertisement

Chibronco Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
It was Adams who put on the weight to get to 270....So we have a DE @ 270 and a DT @ 230......That kinda seems backwards or am I missing something?

The teams problem lately has stopping the run up the middle. Not sure a 230lbs DT helps that. I hope I am wrong though.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 03:00 PM by Chibronco.)
08-19-2014 02:58 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(08-19-2014 02:58 PM)Chibronco Wrote:  It was Adams who put on the weight to get to 270....So we have a DE @ 270 and a DT @ 230......That kinda seems backwards or am I missing something?

The teams problem lately has stopping the run up the middle. Not sure a 230lbs DT helps that. I hope I am wrong though.

Im not sure DD knows what position Smith is playing.

A lot of misinformation on those live chats. One of the discussions turned to CMU having had some big wins over Purdue in the recent past. No one even questioned it.

Actually they've never beaten Purdue.
http://college-football-results.com/f/centmich.htm
08-19-2014 03:27 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
Smith has played DT in the past. I would assume Smith would be in a pass down package and not an every down or short yardage package.
08-19-2014 03:51 PM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Cleveland Smith played DT in 2012 under Cubit but seemed to be more of a DE in Pinkham's system last season. No clue where's playing this year but my guess would be defensive end again.
08-19-2014 05:29 PM
ITalian83i Offline
2nd String

(08-19-2014 03:51 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  Smith has played DT in the past. I would assume Smith would be in a pass down package and not an every down or short yardage package.

Yeah, I was the one who asked the question. I can see Smith coming in for passing situations to get a rush. This would all make more sense if the WMU Athletic Department would just update weights on the website. It would be neat to see the work these guys have put in and understand the gains they have made in the weight room.

I can't see Ash sitting and folks have been really high on Curle and Simpkins in the middle.
08-19-2014 08:09 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
I'm hearing we're going to be a little disappointed is we don't temper our expectations for Ash. I hope he comes in and crushes it myself.
08-19-2014 09:25 PM
Advertisement

wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

He doesn't have a ton of game experience really. If he couldn't really crack the rotation at Michigan I'm not sure why he'd be a star here, but it's valuable depth and size nonetheless.
08-19-2014 09:32 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

Dline
I'm not expecting him to be all conference. But I would expect a 5th year player who played at Michigan to beat out one and two year players at wmu.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-19-2014 09:46 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I suspect Ash will be much like Jones was last year, and Deyo the year before. They'll fill a need, and add depth. A third stringer from a middle of the pack BCS program is not going to star in this league. This league produces loads of first and second round NFL draft choices. If it were that easy every starter in a BCS program would be making an NFL roster.

Ash has spent four years working against quality talent. He's got something you can't teach....size, and enough explosiveness to play DT. Don't know what's between his ears. Clearly loves the game because he's putting in a year here to get a chance to get on the field. Whether he has the will and determination to step it up, who knows. Im not a believer that you play how you practice. I think there are people who shine in the spotlight. Maybe he's one of them.
08-19-2014 09:49 PM
Advertisement

ITalian83i Offline
2nd String

(08-19-2014 09:49 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  I suspect Ash will be much like Jones was last year, and Deyo the year before. They'll fill a need, and add depth. A third stringer from a middle of the pack BCS program is not going to star in this league. This league produces loads of first and second round NFL draft choices. If it were that easy every starter in a BCS program would be making an NFL roster.

Ash has spent four years working against quality talent. He's got something you can't teach....size, and enough explosiveness to play DT. Don't know what's between his ears. Clearly loves the game because he's putting in a year here to get a chance to get on the field. Whether he has the will and determination to step it up, who knows. Im not a believer that you play how you practice. I think there are people who shine in the spotlight. Maybe he's one of them.

I agree 100%. Deyo and Jones were 3rd string Big Ten guys who had 4 years of good practice and limited game experience. They did however fill a need and start for us. I would expect the same with Ash. We are so young and thin on the Dline that I would expect him to play often and get us through this year.
08-19-2014 10:14 PM
ITalian83i Offline
2nd String

The newest video is on wmubroncos.com and it talks about the DL. Coach Reynolds claims that Cleveland Smith is "one of the best in this league."

About the Freshman, he claims that Matich and Braster will both play this year.

Also, none of those guys looked 218. They all look massive and if anything at least we will have a bit more depth. It all starts up front, if this group is not improved, this team will not win many more games. You gotta get pressure and stop the run.
08-20-2014 08:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.