Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hawai'i may drop football
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Hawai'i may drop football
It may be a little too early to call it a doomsday as their AD is acting like but interesting none the less:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-...07654.html
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 07:30 PM by C2__.)
08-18-2014 06:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: Hawaii may drop football
To top off the already formidable statistics presented in that piece, the MWC is possibly going to be raided heavily when the AAC is prepared to make as strong of a claim as possible for a protected spot in a future expanded playoff.

When rules are passed for allowing more divisions in a conference and allowing for a conference tournament, that is when to look for major movement at the Mid-Major level as well.
08-18-2014 06:54 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Good.

Hawai'i is isolated, they play in a decaying stadium, and have some of the worst fans in college football.

Retraction is badly needed in FBS.

Also, UMass, Idaho, NM State, and UAB should be having similar discussions. Idaho, UMass, and NM State have FCS options.
08-18-2014 06:54 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-18-2014 06:49 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  It may be a little too early to call it a doomsday as their AD is acting like but interesting none the less:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-...07654.html

He just killed this year's recruiting.
08-18-2014 06:58 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-18-2014 06:54 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  To top off the already formidable statistics presented in that piece, the MWC is possibly going to be raided heavily when the AAC is prepared to make as strong of a claim as possible for a protected spot in a future expanded playoff.

When rules are passed for allowing more divisions in a conference and allowing for a conference tournament, that is when to look for major movement at the Mid-Major level as well.

I could see that.
08-18-2014 06:59 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(08-18-2014 06:54 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Good.

Hawai'i is isolated, they play in a decaying stadium, and have some of the worst fans in college football.

Also, UMass, Idaho, NM State, and UAB should be having similar discussions. Idaho, UMass, and NM State have FCS options.

Hawai'i brings some unique dynamics to college football and would be sorely missed. Can't say the same for the rest except maybe for UAB who plays in a dilapidated but historic stadium.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 09:51 PM by C2__.)
08-18-2014 07:02 PM
Advertisement

UNLVFan90 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV, MWC
(08-18-2014 06:54 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  To top off the already formidable statistics presented in that piece, the MWC is possibly going to be raided heavily when the AAC is prepared to make as strong of a claim as possible for a protected spot in a future expanded playoff.

No MWC team is going to the AAC, that ship sailed a long time ago.
08-18-2014 07:08 PM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
ALOHA!!!
08-18-2014 07:10 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(08-18-2014 07:08 PM)UNLVFan90 Wrote:  

No MWC team is going to the AAC, that ship sailed a long time ago.

The situation will have changed drastically till then. Your defensive nature doesn't change the reality of the situation and what will be at stake.

A 20 team, five division AAC with an 8 game conference schedule creates a heavily regional set up that keeps travel down while still successfully combining their strength of schedules into one conglomerate that will stand well above any other G5 type conferences.

Hawaii would stand zero chance of being invited into that coast to coast conference.
08-18-2014 07:12 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Can somebody explain how the AAC could grab MWC teams with it's current membership? Seems like the MWC has teams that are just as good if not better. And why would they want to travel all the way across the country for that lineup?
08-18-2014 07:22 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd

You can add Eastern Michigan, Ball State and Central Michigan to that list.
08-18-2014 07:22 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(08-18-2014 07:22 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

I wouldn't include Ball State or CMU.
08-18-2014 07:24 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Meh. This just sounds like an exceptionally inept fundraising ploy by an AD who is too clueless to realize the impact on recruiting.
08-18-2014 07:24 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(08-18-2014 07:12 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  A 20 team, five division AAC with an 8 game conference schedule creates a heavily regional set up that keeps travel down while still successfully combining their strength of schedules into one conglomerate that will stand well above any other G5 type conferences.

How do five divisions result in one champion?
08-18-2014 07:25 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
I think Hawaii's only real option is with the PAC. The PAC "All Stars" just finished a basketball tour of China, and UW basketball will be playing a regular season game in China in 2015. I still think having every PAC team play at Hawaii annually would be the single best way to provide live sports programming to markets in Asia/Australia.

The added benefit is that with the expansion of bowl games, and with the increased difficulty of reaching 6-6 with a 10-11 game P5 schedule, the Hawaii criteria* for bowl eligibility could be very useful for the PAC.

*1.Teams finishing 6-6 with one win against a team from the lower Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), regardless of whether that FCS school meets NCAA scholarship requirements. Until now, an FCS win counted only if that opponent met the scholarship requirements—specifically, that school had to award at least 90% of the FCS maximum of 63 scholarship equivalents over a two-year period. In the 2012 season, programs in four FCS conferences cannot meet the 90% requirement (56.7 equivalents)—the Ivy League, which prohibits all athletic scholarships; the Patriot League and Pioneer Football League, which do not currently award football scholarships; and the Northeast Conference, which limits football scholarships to 38 equivalents.
2.6-6 teams with two wins over FCS schools.
3.Teams that finish 6-7 with loss number seven in their conference championship game (that has been eliminated by the conference championship waiver rule).
4.6-7 teams that normally play a 13-team schedule, such as Hawaii's home opponents. Although Hawaii normally plays a 13-game schedule, it only played 12 games this season.5.FCS teams who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process, if they have at least a 6-6 record.
6.Finally, 5-7 teams that have a top-5 Academic Progress Rate (APR) score. This was later adjusted to allow other 5-7 teams to be selected thereafter—in order of their APR. [11]
08-18-2014 07:27 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Hawai'i may drop football
A few more details from another article. Hawaii wants the state to kick in another 3 million to save football.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...=271757441
08-18-2014 07:45 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

The "raid worthy" schools were already in the Big East / American and decided to go back to the MWC... I'm sorry it makes no sense for them to join a conference rooted on the East Coast and in Texas..
08-18-2014 07:55 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Hawaii is a historically solid program, statistically speaking. It would be a shame if they dropped football, and would essentially make them the answer to a trivia question: "who was the first school to make a BCS bowl and drop football?"

C'mon Rainbow Warriors, find that pot o' gold!
08-18-2014 08:38 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(08-18-2014 07:22 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Can somebody explain how the AAC could grab MWC teams with it's current membership? Seems like the MWC has teams that are just as good if not better. And why would they want to travel all the way across the country for that lineup?

Because they're 'Murican....
08-18-2014 08:46 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(08-18-2014 07:22 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

Since 2006ish CMU has had as much on the field success as Marshall...
08-18-2014 08:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.