Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: MAC, ESPN agree to new 13 year football/basketball TV deal.
Bookmark and Share
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
OT: MAC, ESPN agree to new 13 year football/basketball TV deal.
The new deal between the MAC and ESPN rewrites the current eight-year deal, which was set to expire in 2017. A source said the new deal is worth more than the old deal, which paid the MAC about a $1 million a year.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ights-deal
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 05:33 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
08-18-2014 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: OT: MAC, ESPN agree to new 13 year football/basketball TV deal.
(08-18-2014 05:32 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  The new deal between the MAC and ESPN rewrites the current eight-year deal, which was set to expire in 2017. A source said the new deal is worth more than the old deal, which paid the MAC about a $1 million a year.

I hope they mean $1 Million per team...
08-18-2014 05:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2014 05:36 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(08-18-2014 05:32 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  The new deal between the MAC and ESPN rewrites the current eight-year deal, which was set to expire in 2017. A source said the new deal is worth more than the old deal, which paid the MAC about a $1 million a year.

No. It is $1 mil to the MAC divided up by 13 teams.
08-18-2014 05:42 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(08-18-2014 05:42 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(08-18-2014 05:36 PM)ICB Wrote:  

No. It is $1 mil to the MAC divided up by 13 teams.

Yeah, that's the old deal.
08-18-2014 06:08 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I think this deal pretty much cinches the fact that the new CUSA TV Deal will not see a decrease in revenue. OTOH, it may not see too much of an increase either but I still suspect CUSA programs will get 1 mil plus per school.
08-18-2014 06:13 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-18-2014 06:13 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  I think this deal pretty much cinches the fact that the new CUSA TV Deal will not see a decrease in revenue. OTOH, it may not see too much of an increase either but I still suspect CUSA programs will get 1 mil plus per school.

There are no details about what the new deal pays. The old deal paid $1 million for 13 teams. That's less than $100,000 per team.

If the new deal isn't considerably better than that, then I think it almost assuredly means the CUSA deal declines.
08-18-2014 06:33 PM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Hopefully they got a good pay raise. If they get a good one, we most certainly will as well.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 06:57 PM by MUHERD76.)
08-18-2014 06:53 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-18-2014 06:33 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(08-18-2014 06:13 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  I think this deal pretty much cinches the fact that the new CUSA TV Deal will not see a decrease in revenue. OTOH, it may not see too much of an increase either but I still suspect CUSA programs will get 1 mil plus per school.

There are no details about what the new deal pays. The old deal paid $1 million for 13 teams. That's less than $100,000 per team.

If the new deal isn't considerably better than that, then I think it almost assuredly means the CUSA deal declines.

Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS · 50m
Told MAC's deal with ESPN puts the conference "on par" with Group of 5 peers financially. Previous deal had them out of range.

That tends to make me think the new deal, at worst, has to be at least in the ball park of the CUSA deal. At best, its between the MW and AAC deals (otherwise they would have said its better than any G5 deal). So I'm guessing roughly a millions dollar per team--maybe a little less---maybe even a bit more.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 06:56 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-18-2014 06:54 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(08-18-2014 06:54 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Told MAC's deal with ESPN puts the conference "on par" with Group of 5 peers financially. Previous deal had them out of range.

That tends to make me think the new deal, at worst, has to be at least in the ball park of the CUSA deal. At best, its between the MW and AAC deals (otherwise they would have said its better than any G5 deal). So I'm guessing roughly a millions dollar per team--maybe a little less---maybe even a bit more.

Lets hope that's the case. If I were the Mac Commish, I don't think I would have extended the deal as long as they have but if they get a substantial raise then that's good for us when we start our negotiations.
08-18-2014 07:01 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-18-2014 07:01 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

Lets hope that's the case. If I were the Mac Commish, I don't think I would have extended the deal as long as they have but if they get a substantial raise then that's good for us when we start our negotiations.

That's my thinking. The more they get, the better it is for all the G5.
08-18-2014 07:08 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
They deserve to get paid for playing all those crappy Tuesday games.
08-18-2014 07:14 PM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(08-18-2014 07:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-18-2014 07:01 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

That's my thinking. The more they get, the better it is for all the G5.

I totally agree.
08-18-2014 07:24 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I think it is safe to assume that this new MAC TV deal will pay considerably more than what they currently get which is hilarious. But again, I never thought CUSA TV deal would decrease anyway. Just factor in inflation and that right there will tell you either our current deal stays the same or we get a bump. Maybe not an AAC type bump but our TV deal will see an increase in per team payout.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 07:24 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
08-18-2014 07:24 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
I hope the MAC gets a serious increase.

I just hope CUSA doesn't sign such a long-term commitment. I see how a ten year extension works for the MAC, as their membership is well established. But CUSA, with programs just emerging (Charlotte, ODU & UTSA) and many others building, it would be nice to see a 4-5 year deal.
08-18-2014 07:47 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2014 07:47 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  I hope the MAC gets a serious increase.

I just hope CUSA doesn't sign such a long-term commitment. I see how a ten year extension works for the MAC, as their membership is well established. But CUSA, with programs just emerging (Charlotte, ODU & UTSA) and many others building, it would be nice to see a 4-5 year deal.

I think it will end up being another 6-7 year deal.
08-18-2014 07:52 PM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-18-2014 07:47 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  I just hope CUSA doesn't sign such a long-term commitment. I see how a ten year extension works for the MAC, as their membership is well established. But CUSA, with programs just emerging (Charlotte, ODU & UTSA) and many others building, it would be nice to see a 4-5 year deal.

I agree. Hoping we treat it the same as some FAs in the NBA did this year, sign 3-4 year contracts until the next TV deal when there is more money and they can prove themselves a little more.
08-18-2014 10:44 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(08-18-2014 07:47 PM)monarchoptimist Wrote:  I hope the MAC gets a serious increase.

Maybe but I think moving to 13 years out there is more to the story. The MAC may have gone out and signed a Grant of Rights which is the pathway to doubling your value in the marketplace.

AAC, CUSA and SBC will never be able to get a GOR in place because they have such a dispersed alignment with all members waiting for the next big thing. Long term this is going to hurt the value of those conferences.
08-18-2014 11:19 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2014 11:19 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Maybe but I think moving to 13 years out there is more to the story. The MAC may have gone out and signed a Grant of Rights which is the pathway to doubling your value in the marketplace.

AAC, CUSA and SBC will never be able to get a GOR in place because they have such a dispersed alignment with all members waiting for the next big thing. Long term this is going to hurt the value of those conferences.

Yup. This is the one and really main reason why the AAC didn't get more money out of it's TV deal. Their proven commodities doesn't want any part of that league because they also feel left behind. The MAC has stability and all of their teams seem content with their situation. The MAC knows who they are. The same cannot be said for the other G5 leagues.
08-18-2014 11:22 PM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
Serious question: What would a GOR do for the MAC? The payout isn't that big that it couldn't be covered in some other way, rather easily. They are already the most stable G5 league out there, but let's say that the unusual happens and Buffalo (or any other team...I just picked one that has more of an upside, imo) joined the AAC. Don't you think the AAC, if they desired to take Buffalo, could rather easily help out Buffalo with such a small downside to a GOR? Plus, the mere upside of an AAC deal would more than offset the loss of a million a year, it seems. (Before anyone gets upset, I'm not recommending Buffalo, or any other team for such a move, I'm just trying to make a point.)

I don't see a GOR for any G5 school. NO AAC or MWC school is going to vote for it when there is a small possibility they might get the call up, and there just isn't an incentive to the MAC, C-USA, or SBC to go that route.

Would love to hear other's thoughts on this topic.
08-19-2014 07:04 AM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-18-2014 07:24 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(08-18-2014 06:13 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  .

I think it is safe to assume that this new MAC TV deal will pay considerably more than what they currently get which is hilarious. But again, I never thought CUSA TV deal would decrease anyway. Just factor in inflation and that right there will tell you either our current deal stays the same or we get a bump. Maybe not an AAC type bump but our TV deal will see an increase in per team payout.

Agree, I never bought CUSA taking a big cut. I honestly expect a moderate bump. The Mac was insanely underbid. A bump to 1 mil per school that slowly grows to 2 mil over 10 years wouldn't be outrageous.
08-19-2014 07:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.