Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dennis Dodd predicts......
Bookmark and Share
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
That Marshall ends up ranked 8th in the country at seasons end if we run the table.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/d...1?v=1&vc=1
08-18-2014 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Dennis Dodd predicts......
(08-18-2014 02:49 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  That Marshall ends up ranked 8th in the country at seasons end if we run the table.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/d...1?v=1&vc=1

. . . and predicts you disappear from the face of the earth if you don't. it's precisely the incongruity I was pointing out in another thread. it's freaking bonkers. you can't be top 10 if you win a not-particularly-challenging schedule, but non-existent if you drop one. there are steps in there.

this isn't a spot anyone should want to be in.
08-18-2014 03:23 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Not happening.

UCF couldn't break higher than 10th last year despite having two Top-10 wins, beating the Big 12 champion, winning a BCS bowl game, and defeating Penn State. Despite that really impressive resume, the AP writer still decided that they couldn't stomach ranking a G5 team higher than 10.

There is an extreme bias in the media to prop up their favorite P5 teams even if they have 2-3 losses.

If Marshall goes undefeated I predict you'll finish around 12-16 depending on how the other teams ahead play out.
08-18-2014 03:39 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: Dennis Dodd predicts......
(08-18-2014 03:39 PM)The Knight Time Wrote:  Not happening.

UCF couldn't break higher than 10th last year despite having two Top-10 wins, beating the Big 12 champion, winning a BCS bowl game, and defeating Penn State. Despite that really impressive resume, the AP writer still decided that they couldn't stomach ranking a G5 team higher than 10.

There is an extreme bias in the media to prop up their favorite P5 teams even if they have 2-3 losses.

If Marshall goes undefeated I predict you'll finish around 12-16 depending on how the other teams ahead play out.

I agree....if we run the table I think it will be a 12-16 ranking.
08-18-2014 03:50 PM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs

Just a couple of caveats:

1. In the USA Today 2013 Preseason Polls, UCF was in the ORV category with 2 votes.

2. Penn St was a decent win but really did nothing for UCF overall considering the bad losses PSU had shortly after.

3. Lost to South Carolina.

So UCF had a long hurdle to overcome to even get ranked in the polls. Marshall will be starting the season much closer to the Top 25 although their schedule may eventually keep them from getting in the Top 10 even if they win out.

Group of Five teams have no room for error. Beat South Carolina and UCF does finish in the Top 10 with no problem.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 05:25 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
08-18-2014 05:01 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
First, UCF was not undefeated last year. That changes the equation in this scenario.
Secondly, I believe that the writers poll and the coaches poll will be of diminished interest in light of the new selection committee rankings which will debut in October I believe.
I am not *counting* on them being fairer and more accurate than the existing polls, but I am hoping for them to be.
08-18-2014 05:12 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I hope Marshall does well, but the main thing holding them back from getting highly ranked this season would be the cupcake OOC schedule
08-18-2014 07:26 PM
Advertisement

FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
I think the rest of the conference should just take one for the team and let us win them all (if we go undefeated in OOC) haha.
08-18-2014 08:14 PM
ARandomHerdFan Offline
User Banned

I think UCF fans have an alert set up that notifies them whenever someone mentions Marshall.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-18-2014 08:21 PM
Hank Rearden Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Herd

UCF didn't go undefeated last year. If Marshall goes undefeated they will be ranked inside the top 10.
08-18-2014 08:47 PM
Advertisement

Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies

Yeah, but y'all are douche bags.
08-18-2014 08:51 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

It will be interesting. We went 13-0 in 1999 and only ended up 10th. It was similar to this year, Heisman candidate QB, lots of press coming off a 12-1 season, high powered offense and preseason hype.
08-18-2014 11:26 PM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
(08-18-2014 11:26 PM)banker Wrote:  It will be interesting. We went 13-0 in 1999 and only ended up 10th. It was similar to this year, Heisman candidate QB, lots of press coming off a 12-1 season, high powered offense and preseason hype.

Starting 2 spots ahead from that season as well. 34th in 99 compared to 32 this season. ESPN gave us a 12% chance i think, or so, to go undefeated. The chance of finishing with 1 loss increases astronomically. Thats why undefeated carries so much weight. It is extremely hsrd to do.
08-19-2014 05:06 AM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(08-19-2014 05:06 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  
(08-18-2014 11:26 PM)banker Wrote:  It will be interesting. We went 13-0 in 1999 and only ended up 10th. It was similar to this year, Heisman candidate QB, lots of press coming off a 12-1 season, high powered offense and preseason hype.

Starting 2 spots ahead from that season as well. 34th in 99 compared to 32 this season. ESPN gave us a 12% chance i think, or so, to go undefeated. The chance of finishing with 1 loss increases astronomically. Thats why undefeated carries so much weight. It is extremely hsrd to do.

Yeah, but we also had a road win against a P5 team (Clemson). Sure, I know that they finished 6-6 (I think), but going into Death Valley and winning (despite that we were -3) is just a completely different perception that winning at Miami or Akron... The Clemson win raised more eyebrows and got more attention that any win we will have this year OOC.
08-19-2014 08:32 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
We will never have to worry about this senario
08-19-2014 08:59 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-18-2014 08:47 PM)Hank Rearden Wrote:  

UCF didn't go undefeated last year. If Marshall goes undefeated they will be ranked inside the top 10.

Yea, we lost by 3 to the eventual #4 team in the nation.

And you can say whatever you want about Penn State, it's still a tough team that we beat up at their own house, who went on to have a winning record.

Then of course there's the two Top 10 teams defeated.

My point is that Marshall's schedule doesn't give any of this opportunity. Do you really think the AP writers will reward Marshall for beating Ohio, Miami, or Rhode Island more than defeating Penn State, Louisville, Baylor, Houston, etc?

It's very possible or even likely that Marshall won't be ranked 3-4 weeks into the season. If that's the case, then that leaves an enormous amount of spots to climb to get into the Top 10 without having a single Top 25 or P5 team on the schedule to make a statement with.
08-19-2014 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.