Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

DEFENSIVE SYSTEM!!!
Bookmark and Share
thememphisshow Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
DEFENSIVE SYSTEM!!!
DEFENSIVE SYSTEM IS THE PROBLEM. NOT YOUTH, NOT TALENT!

Why do we sometimes lose by 20 points or worse? From my observations from previous Tiger teams, the players genuinely want to play hard and want to win. However, at some point we have to question the defensive system put in place by the coaching staff.

Tell me why a new coaches like Virginia coach Tony Bennett can hold Big 10 and ACC opponets to minimum points with less talent and experience than Memphis teams. Jason Smith pointed to defense as a priority this summer, however the number 3's this Canadian team as hit and the lack of adjustments that are made is alarming. Talent, Youth and Inexperiance have nothing to do with Defensive System. If there is a good defensive system in place (i.e. Virginia, VCU, Kentucky) then we shouldn't lose by 40 to a University of Carleton, period!!

If you don't believe me, ask your self honestly would Virginia with their "Stack Defense" lose by 40 to a similar team?
08-16-2014 07:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: T.I.G.E.R.S
RE: DEFENSIVE SYSTEM!!!
Dude...it's August. Half of our team is missing. It's an exhibition. Settle down.

Wow.
08-16-2014 07:30 PM
JRR_IV Offline
All American

Huh
08-16-2014 07:34 PM
thememphisshow Offline
Bench Warmer

I am not just referencing this game. I could care less about this game and I know we have players out. But I feel if you put in any of those players that where out, we would get similiar results. I have said the same thing in previous years. The coaching staff ALWAYS blame bad loses on the players. The players this and the players that. Even freakin Shabaz Napier said it to our face!! He said that the reason that he feels comfortable against our defense is because of our DEFENSIVE SCHEME!
08-16-2014 07:38 PM
anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe you should coach?
08-16-2014 07:42 PM
thememphisshow Offline
Bench Warmer

Maybe I should. And maybe you should be my assistant03-wink
08-16-2014 07:45 PM
Advertisement

pkptigers07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(08-16-2014 07:28 PM)thememphisshow Wrote:  DEFENSIVE SYSTEM IS THE PROBLEM. NOT YOUTH, NOT TALENT!

Why do we sometimes lose by 20 points or worse? From my observations from previous Tiger teams, the players genuinely want to play hard and want to win. However, at some point we have to question the defensive system put in place by the coaching staff.

Tell me why a new coaches like Virginia coach Tony Bennett can hold Big 10 and ACC opponets to minimum points with less talent and experience than Memphis teams. Jason Smith pointed to defense as a priority this summer, however the number 3's this Canadian team as hit and the lack of adjustments that are made is alarming. Talent, Youth and Inexperiance have nothing to do with Defensive System. If there is a good defensive system in place (i.e. Virginia, VCU, Kentucky) then we shouldn't lose by 40 to a University of Carleton, period!!

If you don't believe me, ask your self honestly would Virginia with their "Stack Defense" lose by 40 to a similar team?

Sounds to me like you are referencing THIS game. Take your 16 posts and go whine about Skal to Ole Miss, Cal to the NBA, or some other such BS
08-16-2014 07:51 PM
tnzazz Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
DEFENSIVE SYSTEM!!!
And so it begins......
08-16-2014 08:49 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

Crappies
Why do we sometimes lose by 20 points? Because sports.
08-16-2014 09:05 PM
TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans
One game on August 16th and our season is doomed.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 09:21 PM by TigerTimmy.)
08-16-2014 09:21 PM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

Only lost by 10 tonight. Put the defensive smackdown on them in the second half, even their 3 point ringers.
08-16-2014 09:26 PM
Advertisement

anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2014 09:21 PM)TigerTimmy Wrote:  One game on August 16th and our season is doomed.

Our seasons are doomed a little earlier each year. Next year it will be doomed in July for some reason. Can't wait to find out what it is!
08-16-2014 09:26 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
03-lmfao man, some of these chicken littles should have followed Cal to Lexington...2006-2009 is not the norm...if you haven't accepted that yet, be prepared to be unhappy a lot.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 09:49 PM by UofMemphis.)
08-16-2014 09:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

That didn't take long...
08-16-2014 09:54 PM
thememphisshow Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-16-2014 07:51 PM)pkptigers07 Wrote:  
(08-16-2014 07:28 PM)thememphisshow Wrote:  DEFENSIVE SYSTEM IS THE PROBLEM. NOT YOUTH, NOT TALENT!

Sounds to me like you are referencing THIS game. Take your 16 posts and go whine about Skal to Ole Miss, Cal to the NBA, or some other such BS

I have 16 posts because I have a life. I am referencing this game, however the defensive system is a past issue that I believe needs to change. Ask Shabaz Napier, UConn, and Virginia.
08-16-2014 10:42 PM
BERT56 Offline
Resident Slappy

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
I thought this was a Barry Odom thread.
08-16-2014 11:12 PM
Advertisement

450bench Offline

I get the defensive comment but like everyone else has said, it's freaking August. I couldn't care less about the results of these games. It's great experience and this team needs to play and get used to each other. I'm not of fan of Josh's coaching but I go into every season hoping I'm wrong about that. This season is not different for that. I happen to think that this team will be better than we think.
08-16-2014 11:15 PM
TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans

Tony Bennett lost to UT by 35 points last year.
08-17-2014 12:07 AM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

The Tigers went from 32 down to losing by 10.
Are you saying they made no adjustments?
08-17-2014 12:15 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

(08-17-2014 12:15 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  The Tigers went from 32 down to losing by 10.
Are you saying they made no adjustments?

Don't try and put logic in this
08-17-2014 12:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.