ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Bearcats look strong, win big in Bahamas
Bearcats look strong, win big in Bahamas
Bill Koch, bkoch@enquirer.com 11:18 a.m. EDT August 16, 2014

NASSAU, Bahamas – Sophomore guard Kevin Johnson and freshman forward Gary Clark scored 17 points each while junior forward Octavius Ellis pulled down 15 rebounds as the University of Cincinnati men's basketball team cruised to a 94-64 win over the PJ Stingers Friday at the Kendal G.L. Isaacs National Gymnasium.

Four Bearcats scored in double figures with freshman forward Quadri Moore scoring all of his 13 points after intermission. Redshirt freshman guard Deshaun Morman had 10 points and a game-high seven assists. Clark just missed a double-double, grabbing nine rebounds to go with his 17 points.

The game was close early, with UC leading 18-17 after the first quarter and 28-26 with 4:36 left in the second quarter before the Bearcats went on a 14-1 run over the next 2:18 to grab a 42-27 advantage. Johnson got hot during the stretch, making four three-pointers while the Bearcat defense held the Stingers without a basket until five second before intermission.

The Bearcats made seven of their eight three-pointers in the game during the first two quarters keyed in large part by Johnson's efforts.

UC led 43-31 at halftime, but the Stingers managed to cut the lead to 46-37 on a basket inside by Cadiro Thompson with 8:01 left in the third quarter. However, the Bahamian club team could not trim into the deficit any further.

In their only contest against an outside opponent during their six-day trip in the Bahamas, the Bearcats passed the ball well, recording 25 assists, with seven coming from Morman. UC committed 15 turnovers but outrebounded the Stingers 53-29 and limited the Bahamian squad to 32 percent shooting from the field (24 of 76) and 16 percent shooting from beyond the arc (3 of 19). Meanwhile, UC shot 51 percent from the field (39 of 77) and 38 percent from three-point range (8 of 21).

Senior guard Ge'Lawn Guyn, sophomore guard Troy Caupain, junior forward Shaquille Thomas, Moore and Ellis started for the Bearcats. All 12 players who saw action played at least 11 minutes each. No player logged more than 23 minutes on the court.

The Bearcats have an intrasquad scrimmage scheduled for Saturday morning before returning to Cincinnati on Sunday night.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../14156357/

08-16-2014 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
RE: Bearcats look strong, win big in Bahamas
Verrry disappointed that there was no attendance figure in BK's story,,,

08-16-2014 03:07 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Box Score Bill.

08-16-2014 04:43 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Anything to sh!t on Bill, right guys?

08-16-2014 04:46 PM
dalbc Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC & LBSU
(08-16-2014 04:46 PM)ctipton Wrote:  Anything to sh!t on Bill, right guys?

Sorry Ctip, but the disdain for Koch has, regrettably, been well earned....

08-16-2014 04:51 PM
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Wait, Bill got a free trip to the Bahamas out of this?

Hey, just glad word reached the Enquirer.

08-16-2014 05:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GameTime_21 Offline
Doing My Thing Covering The Cats

I Root For: UC
(08-16-2014 05:26 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Wait, Bill got a free trip to the Bahamas out of this?

Hey, just glad word reached the Enquirer.

Bill wasn't at the game...

08-16-2014 06:55 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(08-16-2014 03:07 PM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  Verrry disappointed that there was no attendance figure in BK's story,,,

LOL!!!!!!!!! I was reading the article JUST to find the attendance hahahaha. You beat me to it!

08-16-2014 09:30 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Someone you-tubed the game. The attendance was lousy. I would say I am shocked that Bill did not mention it, but as Chad says, Bill didn't even go 03-lmfao

Morman was by far the best newcomer at guard, and Ellis the best new big, follwed by Clark. Mormon can do a bit of everything asked of a wing player. Very impressive. Ellis is a very active pogo stick who had a lot of blocks to go with his boards, and Clark knows what to do inside the paint as well.

Strickland and Moore also showed very good shooting touch, and were very patient, not to rush shots over extended arms. I think those pushing to redshirt Moore will be disappointed. However, other than Ellis, the bigs had a hard time guarding people. Lots of layups for the Bahamas team. But, I'm sure Mick will figure that out. Didn't really see DeBerry do too much.

As for the returning players, KJ in particular played at a high level.

Good showing overall.

08-18-2014 02:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.