Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
After D-I adjustment, Wilder a leader of UC's 'D'
After D-I adjustment, Wilder a leader of UC's 'D'
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 8:35 p.m. EDT August 13, 2014

[Image: usatsi7600131.jpg]
UC corner Howard Wilder finished last season with 35 tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble.(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

WEST HARRISON, Ind. – University of Cincinnati cornerback Howard Wilder remembers playing before maybe 900 fans per game while in junior college.

Thus it was a mild shock when Wilder, in his first UC game in 2013, found himself playing before a Nippert Stadium record crowd of 36,007 against Purdue.

Wilder did not start in the Bearcats' 42-7 romp that day, but eventually he started 10 of 13 games and acquitted himself well.

This year, UC senior Wilder seems entrenched in the lineup as the Bearcats go through preseason drills here at their Higher Ground camp site.

"Playing my first game last year, I was nervous," Wilder said.

"As I played more games and began to start, all the butterflies went away."

Wilder finished with respectable numbers: 35 tackles, two interceptions, four pass break-ups, six passes defensed and a forced fumble.

Injuries and attrition left UC (9-4 last year) rather thin at cornerback.

"We had to play him last year, and thank goodness we had him," coach Tommy Tuberville said. "Howard's been a real breath of fresh air, because he played pretty decent last year and he'll be much better this year."

Wilder played at Eleanor Roosevelt High School (Maryland).

He began his college career at College of the Canyons (California) before transferring to Pierce College (California).

He was among Tuberville's first signees in the 2013 class, with offers that also included Wisconsin, Arizona State, Missouri and Kentucky.

"Playing at the JUCO level, it's like playing another year of high school," Wilder said. "You come here and play Division I football, it's way faster."

Wilder and fellow senior cornerback Adrian Witty will lead a secondary that includes two sophomores starting at safety, Zach Edwards (Middletown High School) and Mike Tyson.

"I'm definitely one of the leaders now," Wilder said. "I have another huge step to take.

"This year, they expect a whole lot more from me."

NOTEBOOK: Quarterback Munchie Legaux said his surgically repaired left knee is holding up well, after three days of camp.

Quarterbacks are rarely if ever hit during practice, and Legaux is returning from last year's major knee surgery.

"My knee is feeling fine," said Legaux, who estimates he is about 90 to 95 percent physically.

• Wednesday highlights included fullback Lindsay Crook catching a pass on the run, then bowling over a defender. UC players cheered and one yelled to Crook, "Great job, mate."

Crook, a former professional rugby player in Australia, signed with UC last year but missed the season with a knee injury.

• Wide receivers Shaq Washington, Ralph David Abernathy IV and Casey Gladney also worked as punt returners Wednesday, the Bearcats' first practice in shoulder pads. The team goes to full pads Friday.

• The first preseason scrimmage is Sunday (11:35 a.m.) at Paul Brown Stadium. All practices and scrimmages are closed to the public.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../14032231/

08-14-2014 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: After D-I adjustment, Wilder a leader of UC's 'D'
I had forgotten about our Australian rugby player. Good job, mate!

08-14-2014 01:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.