Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Future of athletics, specifically football
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
As much as it pains me, football is a dying brand that already seen it's peak. For one, less kids are playing sports, and in particular... football. This is due to things like video games, but the concussion issue is the 1000 lb gorilla. You're already seeing less and less kids play HS football. When I graduated from Clairton in 01, the team our Sr. year had 40-45 kids on the roster. Today, the roster is 30-35 and sometimes dresses as few as 20 kids. There's a school nearby that is double the size of Clairton and is barely able to field a team, as well as numerous schools the size of Clairton. And this just isn't a trend here in WPA, it's a national trend... with an exception of Texas and Florida.

Lets look at attendance; schools like Alabama & Michigan are struggling to keep their students the entire game. Football games are more of a chore to students rather than going out and rooting for the team. Hell, even a lot of long time fans rather sit at home and watch on the big screen than head out to the stadium. And don't be surprised if the D4 stuff drives more fans away from major college football.

So while everybody is debating what will happen, 10 years from now, regarding future realignment... just remember that football might not even be the sport the "drives the bus" anymore. I'll predict that a basket of sports will be the ones that drives the bus, football (universal), basketball (universal), baseball (south & west), hockey (north & upper midwest), lacrosse (east coast & I think in some parts of B1G country), and soccer (universal).

It pains me to say this because I'm a die hard football fan; however, I see the writing on the wall. If football, in general, were a stock... I'd short the hell out of it.
08-13-2014 08:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Future of athletics, specifically football
It sucks being at the top because from there you can only go down.
08-13-2014 08:06 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Smaller better stadiums with easier access.
Making the six games a year events.

Other sports may make some gains but also have more games.
So more times dragging people out of there house .

The Concussion problem Is A Problem Though.
08-13-2014 08:21 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(08-13-2014 08:21 PM)MJG Wrote:  Smaller better stadiums with easier access.
Making the six games a year events.

Other sports may make some gains but also have more games.
So more times dragging people out of there house .

The Concussion problem Is A Problem Though.

True... true conclusion is: college sports bubble will likely pop before the next round of conference contracts, and if not then, it will pop shortly afterwards.
08-13-2014 08:31 PM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
SOCCER:

"Between 2001 and 2012, 1,665 players sustained more than 8,000 injuries. Sixty-six players sustained at least one concussion, the teams reported.
"

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKB...8?irpc=932

Soccer isnt the answer to football for all these sissified parents out there.

Google Soccer concussions and a bazillion articles come up.

As far as declining youth participation in football, ALL sports except Lacrosse is having decreased participation according to an article I could go dig up. Kids hate doing anything outside and/or may require them to go outside. Im sure there is also decreased participation in tree house building, mowing grass, and walking across the street to see their friends too.
08-13-2014 08:37 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
I definitely agree Miami (OH) Yeah... just that football is completely being singled out. It's rather unfortunate.
08-13-2014 08:55 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(08-13-2014 08:37 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  SOCCER:

"Between 2001 and 2012, 1,665 players sustained more than 8,000 injuries. Sixty-six players sustained at least one concussion, the teams reported.
"

As far as declining youth participation in football, ALL sports except Lacrosse is having decreased participation according to an article I could go dig up. Kids hate doing anything outside and/or may require them to go outside. Im sure there is also decreased participation in tree house building, mowing grass, and walking across the street to see their friends too.

I agree the importance of football makes it a target.
I think football definitely benefits from less games.
08-13-2014 09:12 PM
Advertisement

randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners

"

66 concussions, among 46 teams, over an 11 year period, either that data is wrong or you probably have a better chance at getting a concussion slipping in the shower.

Soccer in college will never be at a high level. Most of the "good" or "recognized" talent is already turning pro while in high school or they are already in a pro team's academy (farm team). As a player/fan, I doubt the level of play in college will be good enough to help push the bus.
08-13-2014 09:18 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-13-2014 09:12 PM)MJG Wrote:  

"

I agree the importance of football makes it a target.
I think football definitely benefits from less games.

Interesting that girl's basketball and girl's soccer have a major concussion issue at the HS level.

Per a report last fall-rate per 10,000 exposures:
Football 11.2
Boys lacrosse 6.9
Girls soccer 6.7
Boys wrestling 6.2
Girls basketball 5.6
Girls lacrosse 5.2
Girls field hockey 4.2
Boys soccer 4.2
Boys basketball 2.8
Girls softball 1.6
Boys baseball 1.2
08-13-2014 10:04 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-13-2014 08:03 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  As much as it pains me, football is a dying brand that already seen it's peak. For one, less kids are playing sports, and in particular... football. This is due to things like video games, but the concussion issue is the 1000 lb gorilla. You're already seeing less and less kids play HS football. When I graduated from Clairton in 01, the team our Sr. year had 40-45 kids on the roster. Today, the roster is 30-35 and sometimes dresses as few as 20 kids. There's a school nearby that is double the size of Clairton and is barely able to field a team, as well as numerous schools the size of Clairton. And this just isn't a trend here in WPA, it's a national trend... with an exception of Texas and Florida.

Lets look at attendance; schools like Alabama & Michigan are struggling to keep their students the entire game. Football games are more of a chore to students rather than going out and rooting for the team. Hell, even a lot of long time fans rather sit at home and watch on the big screen than head out to the stadium. And don't be surprised if the D4 stuff drives more fans away from major college football.

So while everybody is debating what will happen, 10 years from now, regarding future realignment... just remember that football might not even be the sport the "drives the bus" anymore. I'll predict that a basket of sports will be the ones that drives the bus, football (universal), basketball (universal), baseball (south & west), hockey (north & upper midwest), lacrosse (east coast & I think in some parts of B1G country), and soccer (universal).

It pains me to say this because I'm a die hard football fan; however, I see the writing on the wall. If football, in general, were a stock... I'd short the hell out of it.

The studies I have seen tell the opposite story. Nationwide high school football participation is up. Maybe your school has fewer students.

There is certainly anecdotal evidence people are discouraging their kids from playing, but the stats aren't showing it yet.
08-13-2014 10:06 PM
Advertisement

msu_bears Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MO STATE
(08-13-2014 08:03 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  As much as it pains me, football is a dying brand that already seen it's peak. For one, less kids are playing sports, and in particular... football. This is due to things like video games, but the concussion issue is the 1000 lb gorilla.

It was actually video games that got me more into sports when I was in middle school/high school. Heck, I learned most of the rules to football and hockey playing games on the PS1.
08-13-2014 10:49 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-13-2014 08:03 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  As much as it pains me, football is a dying brand that already seen it's peak. For one, less kids are playing sports, and in particular... football. This is due to things like video games, but the concussion issue is the 1000 lb gorilla. You're already seeing less and less kids play HS football. When I graduated from Clairton in 01, the team our Sr. year had 40-45 kids on the roster. Today, the roster is 30-35 and sometimes dresses as few as 20 kids. There's a school nearby that is double the size of Clairton and is barely able to field a team, as well as numerous schools the size of Clairton. And this just isn't a trend here in WPA, it's a national trend... with an exception of Texas and Florida.

What a wuss of a generation! Joey the moment you are born something is going to kill you. You live anyway. If you live in fear of everything that can happen to you then life is a drag. If you acknowledge the risks and prepare for them then many things that seem dangerous or threatening can be enlightening and fun. It really is a get busy living or get busy dying issue. I bet more of this generation gets killed texting than ever will get a damned concussion playing sports. Shoot they may even get a concussion while texting. Are we going to legislate against their cell phones too?

As for attendance I'm one of those guys who stays home (even though I have season tickets) and watches the games on HD. It's not because its cheaper as much as because I can't stand the rudeness of people at the stadium (all the thirty somethings who think it's all just about them and their brats), or the loud piped in noise which is supposed to make the stadium seem more exciting. No it's just a generational thing. Bright lights and noise doesn't make football exciting to me. A beautiful pass, a great catch, a jaw dropping tackle makes football exciting to me. It did when I played and it still does now as an old man watching it.

Baseball is fading because this generation is wired to a 30 second attention span and needs whistles and bright lights going off when a computer game scores to keep them interested. That is why soccer is never going to take off in this country. There is beauty in it, but it's not exciting enough to capture the attention of 20 year old spectators, unless of course they play.

And that my friend is the real issue. These kids don't play team sports. Yes it is time intensive for parents, but it is also a generation that can't look you in the eye when you pass them walking on a sidewalk, a generation that resorts to drive by shootings because they lack the confidence and courage to face their adversaries and talk it out. They are into themselves and into electronics and perhaps the most antisocial group I've ever been around. They don't know how to talk to one another face to face, can't dance, don't do big group things as a rule, don't know their neighbors, and will never sacrifice or communicate well enough to play team sports.

The military academies adopted football as a combat simulation of what teamwork accomplishes. It was designed to build courage under duress, and foster a fondness for what could be accomplished as a unit if everyone did their job. That is a concept that has been lost, and sadly so.

I don't know what if anything is going to turn this around. Football may be the first casualty, but sports in general will falter because of the social trends which are now in place. Add the economy into the fray and the outlook is indeed a short sell, but on sports in general.

I know old farts always say remember the good ole days, but the truth is I don't find too much going on with young people today to get excited about the prospects of their future and I still work with them. The kids aren't bad, but they have no concept of a community beyond self and gadgets and that's frightening!
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 03:52 AM by JRsec.)
08-14-2014 03:47 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(08-13-2014 10:49 PM)msu_bears Wrote:  
(08-13-2014 08:03 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  As much as it pains me, football is a dying brand that already seen it's peak. For one, less kids are playing sports, and in particular... football. This is due to things like video games, but the concussion issue is the 1000 lb gorilla.

It was actually video games that got me more into sports when I was in middle school/high school. Heck, I learned most of the rules to football and hockey playing games on the PS1.

I agree. The people who are really into video games will generally have no interest in playing sports beyond the point their parents force them.

People who actually like sports and play sports play sports video games and not necessarily to the detriment of actually playing them.
08-14-2014 09:07 AM
Strut Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sparty aka MSU

Wow, I think that your comments are spot on and exactly what I've noticed and been thinking for a while! You've touched upon about 3-4 themes that are huge to me and I don't know quite where to begin.

I agree that football (was my first love also) is the sport that is losing interest the fastest with kids / youth. I say that from the perspective of having coached youth sports (baseball, basketball, football, and soccer) for 10 years. I believe that in addition to the concussions you mention, that there is more awareness of the long term effects (ligaments, joints, etc.), of playing football (social media, etc.) and people (youth, parents-especially mothers, schools, communities) are making different choices.

I agree with your comments that football attendance will continue to shrink. From a grassroots youth sports perspective I've heard stories of how much easier it was for fundraisers etc years ago compared to now; as there seems to be a lot more competition for attention and dollars.

Lastly, your comments about the future college sports engine that will drive the bus being a basket of sports (with much less football), I just shared that exact perspective with friends about a month ago. The one thing additionally that I added was that it will be the sports that show up good on smart phones and tablets that will dominate nationally and globally. I think the trends we see in the youth sports culture will start to really show up glaringly in the next decade or two.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-14-2014 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.