Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C-USA and Sun Belt Reshuffle
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
C-USA and Sun Belt Reshuffle
C-USA and the Sun Belt should get together and redraw their lines and swap teams and schools. This could cut cost in travel and create great regional rivals for the new schools moving to FBS. Which will create better gameday experiences and sell more tickets.

CONFERENCE USA
NORTH
Marshall
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Charlotte

SOUTH
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Troy
UAB
Florida Atlantic
FIU

SUN BELT

EAST

WEST
New Mexico State
UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Texas State
Rice
(UT-Arlington Non-Football)

EAST
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
ULM
Arkansas State
Southern Miss
South Alabama
(UALR Non-Football)

*Idaho and UMASS either go Indy or drop to FCS
08-12-2014 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
RE: C-USA and Sun Belt Reshuffle
There are a million reasons it will never happen, but you are correct on one point; it would create more regional fan-friendly match-ups.
08-12-2014 11:05 AM
maccoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
This is a condescending thread. If someone suggested the AAC and CUSA should merge and be redistributed by geographic lines, you would be offended. CUSA schools feel their conference is superior to the Sun Belt just like AAC schools feel their conference is superior to CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 11:25 AM by maccoog.)
08-12-2014 11:22 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Hmm, if the day ever comes when you cant really tell the difference between sunbelt and CUSA teams, then they might as well merge and go to regional divisions. Might as well work together. But then eventually they would probably just split into regional conferences if there are enough teams left.
08-12-2014 11:24 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: C-USA and Sun Belt Reshuffle
(08-12-2014 11:22 AM)maccoog Wrote:  This is a condescending thread. If someone suggested the AAC and CUSA should merge and be redistributed by geographic lines, you would be offended. CUSA schools feel there conference is superior to the Sun Belt just like AAC schools feel there conference is superior to CUSA.

I'm offended by this post and my feelings are hurt.
08-12-2014 11:26 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
I'm not sure a division with UAB, Georgia State, FIU, and FAU would help their attendance. 03-razz Maybe if all 4 got together in one stadium.
08-12-2014 11:27 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

Ive said it before--a trigger would be needed for something like this to ever be considered. First, it has to be revenue neutral. So one trigger would be the Sunbelt landing a contract that paid them the same as the CUSA schools (or the 2016 CUSA contract being much less than its current value--or a little of both where CUSA income drops some and SB income rises to meet the new lower CUSA figure). The key is, this mash-up of SB and CUSA would have to be revenue neutral and for that to happen, the two leagues have to be of equal value.

Another trigger could be a P5-G5 split scenario where the left behind G5 conference members see a massive drop in media revenue and are looking to drastically cut expenses. That might trigger a move to reorganize into more compact regional conferences that cut travel costs and lead to higher ticket sales from an increased number of nearby traveling fans.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 11:36 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-12-2014 11:35 AM
maccoog Offline
1st String

(08-12-2014 11:26 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 11:22 AM)maccoog Wrote:  This is a condescending thread. If someone suggested the AAC and CUSA should merge and be redistributed by geographic lines, you would be offended. CUSA schools feel there conference is superior to the Sun Belt just like AAC schools feel there conference is superior to CUSA.

Lol. I'm not saying that is truly how the conferences are. I'm just saying that is how the member school fans perceive it based on chatter on the respective message boards.
08-12-2014 11:42 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course

The fact that you were offended by that post has offended me. I'm going to sulk for a while. 03-pissed
08-12-2014 12:49 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-12-2014 12:49 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

The fact that you were offended by that post has offended me. I'm going to sulk for a while. 03-pissed
I can sulk better than you.
08-12-2014 12:50 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(08-12-2014 11:22 AM)maccoog Wrote:  This is a condescending thread. If someone suggested the AAC and CUSA should merge and be redistributed by geographic lines, you would be offended. CUSA schools feel their conference is superior to the Sun Belt just like AAC schools feel their conference is superior to CUSA.

Thank you. Always seems to be an East Carolina fan that starts these.
08-12-2014 12:56 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I agree that it is a somewhat condescending thread. I also agree that it won't happen.

BUT...

CUSA and the SBC have a problem in that they really are two similar conferences with similar schools and overlapping geography. You could say that about CUSA and the AAC...to a point...but there is a fairly large budget divide between CUSA and the AAC (in terms of athletic spending). CUSA and SBC would be far more lateral movement than the AAC and CUSA, and hence the OP. It's a much harder comparison between CUSA (v.3.0) and the AAC.
08-12-2014 01:04 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(08-12-2014 12:50 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Well then I'm thru sulking. Why don't we reshuffle all G5 conferences while were at it?

MWC would add Idaho and NMSU. Now they have 14 and those 2 schools don't have to travel so much.

C-USA would split with the west being UTEP, UNT, UTSA, Rice, LTU, USM. Consolidation brings Tulsa, SMU, Houston and Tulane back from the AAC. That's 10. Add Arkansas St, ULL and we have 12.

SBC lost 4 so far in this shuffle so add UAB, MT, WKU, FIU and FAU to the remaining 7 and that's 12.

AAC lost 4 so far so add Charlotte, ODU, Marshall and UMass to be at 12 when Navy comes aboard in 2015.

The MAC stands pat, as always.

There, all done. I'm sure everyone is happy with that arrangement and no feelings are hurt!04-cheers
08-12-2014 01:08 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(08-12-2014 10:07 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  C-USA and the Sun Belt should get together and redraw their lines and swap teams and schools. This could cut cost in travel and create great regional rivals for the new schools moving to FBS. Which will create better gameday experiences and sell more tickets.

CONFERENCE USA
NORTH
Marshall
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Charlotte

SOUTH
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Troy
UAB
Florida Atlantic
FIU

SUN BELT

EAST

WEST
New Mexico State
UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Texas State
Rice

EAST
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
ULM
Arkansas State
Southern Miss
South Alabama
(UALR Non-Football)

ECU could join that USA North and add Georgia State and Georgia Southern and break off into their own separate conference.
08-12-2014 01:35 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(08-12-2014 01:08 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

Well then I'm thru sulking. Why don't we reshuffle all G5 conferences while were at it?

MWC would add Idaho and NMSU. Now they have 14 and those 2 schools don't have to travel so much.

C-USA would split with the west being UTEP, UNT, UTSA, Rice, LTU, USM. Consolidation brings Tulsa, SMU, Houston and Tulane back from the AAC. That's 10. Add Arkansas St, ULL and we have 12.

SBC lost 4 so far in this shuffle so add UAB, MT, WKU, FIU and FAU to the remaining 7 and that's 12.

AAC lost 4 so far so add Charlotte, ODU, Marshall and UMass to be at 12 when Navy comes aboard in 2015.

There, all done. I'm sure everyone is happy with that arrangement and no feelings are hurt!04-cheers

Peoples feelings might be hurt, but this is EXACTLY what I think would eventually happen if the P5 split with the G5. The G5 media contracts would evaporate to virtually nothing, TV exposure would drop, ticket sales would slump dramatically, and donations into the athletic department would plummet. These schools would be forced to dramatically curtail spending and would be desperate to find a way to get people to attend games that only lead to some meaningless G5 championship that nobody would care about.

Getting hyper-regional might be the only way to save these programs. These conferences might be able to get consistent coverage on the Fox-SW's of the world and the close proximity might create rivalries generating increased ticket sales from nearby traveling fans. While this would help some to survive, even with a new configuration, I think some of these G5 programs wont be able to stay afloat (especially those with a lot of debt). Schools like Houston, where pro sports competition exist, will really have to work hard on establishing a niche in order to survive. Schools with marginal support already might be done.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 01:44 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-12-2014 01:36 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-12-2014 01:36 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 11:26 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  I'm offended by this post and my feelings are hurt.

Peoples feelings might be hurt, but this is EXACTLY what I think would eventually happen if the P5 split with the G5. The G5 media contracts would evaporate to virtually nothing, TV exposure would drop, tickets would slump dramatically, and donations into the athletic department would plummet. These schools would be forced to dramatically curtail spending and would be desperate to find a way to get people to attend games that only lead to some meaningless G5 championship that nobody would care about. Getting hyper regional might be the only way to save these programs---and frankly, I think some of these programs wont be able to stay afloat (especially those with a lot of debt).

Maybe.

An alternative outcome would be that G5 breaks away in all sports and starts actually competing for market share, cooperating on a G5 television network, changes rules to shake up the status quo rather than perpetuate it, etc.

They couldn't beat the P5, but they could carve out more market share and profits than they do now.

Too many people think a split off G5 would be FCS. It wouldn't if done correctly.
08-12-2014 01:44 PM
Advertisement

ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(08-12-2014 01:04 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  CUSA and the SBC have a problem in that they really are two similar conferences with similar schools and overlapping geography. You could say that about CUSA and the AAC...to a point...but there is a fairly large budget divide between CUSA and the AAC (in terms of athletic spending). CUSA and SBC would be far more lateral movement than the AAC and CUSA, and hence the OP. It's a much harder comparison between CUSA (v.3.0) and the AAC.

It's a spectrum. Here in 2014, some of the AAC programs got a windfall from the departing Big East programs. However, some of the remaining C-USA programs have athletic budgets very similar to those at the bottom of the AAC, and especially the last three who departed C-USA for the AAC. Does Cincinnati look like Florida International? Of course not. But does Marshall look like Tulsa?

So what comes down the road in the next few years? The AAC wants to fight to lift their programs further. C-USA wants to prove themselves. Voluntarily merging with the Sunbelt looks like giving up. And I know those programs at the top of the Sunbelt, who look like some of the C-USA programs, would also take offense there.

History had the MWC form out of the WAC-16, and neither Fresno State nor TCU were included in the original MWC-8. That's what everyone in the AAC, C-USA and SBC want to believe happens to their program, too, even if they are not exactly where they want to be at present.
08-12-2014 01:47 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(08-12-2014 01:35 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 10:07 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  C-USA and the Sun Belt should get together and redraw their lines and swap teams and schools. This could cut cost in travel and create great regional rivals for the new schools moving to FBS. Which will create better gameday experiences and sell more tickets.

CONFERENCE USA
NORTH
Marshall
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Charlotte

SOUTH
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Troy
UAB
Florida Atlantic
FIU

SUN BELT

EAST

WEST
New Mexico State
UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Texas State
Rice

EAST
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
ULM
Arkansas State
Southern Miss
South Alabama
(UALR Non-Football)

ECU could join that USA North and add Georgia State and Georgia Southern and break off into their own separate conference.

Riiiight. Good troll attempt.
08-12-2014 01:51 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(08-12-2014 01:51 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 01:35 PM)ken d Wrote:  

CONFERENCE USA
NORTH
Marshall
Old Dominion
Appalachian State
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Charlotte

SOUTH
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Troy
UAB
Florida Atlantic
FIU

SUN BELT

EAST

WEST
New Mexico State
UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Texas State
Rice

EAST
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
ULM
Arkansas State
Southern Miss
South Alabama
(UALR Non-Football)

Riiiight. Good troll attempt.

I was making a point. ECU would no sooner go along with somebody else trying to decide who they should play with than any of these other schools/conferences would. Nor should they. Trying to make a geographical fit for those schools makes no more sense than making a geographical for for ECU - if it did, ECU wouldn't be in the AAC.
08-12-2014 02:12 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
I

03-puke
08-12-2014 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.