ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Taylor Heinicke's Draft Stock
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Taylor Heinicke's draft stock has gone up again. This morning, NFLDraftScout updated its rankings, and TH has moved up to number 14 and is now projected as a possible seventh round draft pick. He currently is the last of the QBs projected to be possbily drafted. On a side note, Cato was dropped all the way to No. 30.

If he has the kind of year we all know he can, I suspect TH will be a top ten QB. I think the only reason he is not higher now is because they are waiting to see him perform at the FBS level.

Way to go Taylor! GO MONARCHS!
08-12-2014 05:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: Taylor Heinicke's Draft Stock
(08-12-2014 05:10 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Taylor Heinicke's draft stock has gone up again. This morning, NFLDraftScout updated its rankings, and TH has moved up to number 14 and is now projected as a possible seventh round draft pick. He currently is the last of the QBs projected to be possbily drafted. On a side note, Cato was dropped all the way to No. 30.

If he has the kind of year we all know he can, I suspect TH will be a top ten QB. I think the only reason he is not higher now is because they are waiting to see him perform at the FBS level.

Way to go Taylor! GO MONARCHS!

AGGIE, is this the product of NFL Scouts watching the players at the August camp(s). I'm Just trying to understand why Cato has dropped so much in the last few months.
08-12-2014 09:59 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2014 09:59 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  AGGIE, is this the product of NFL Scouts watching the players at the August camp(s). I'm Just trying to understand why Cato has dropped so much in the last few months.

I think the 6' 0" height at 185 lbs hurts him. This is the core of what nfldraftscout had to say on Cato that holds him back:

“...the lack of size, inconsistent mechanics and overconfident arm hurt his NFL value..."

Here is the core of what they had to say on TH that leads me to believe his stock will go even higher after he has another strong season against FBS competition:

"...He is a cerebral passer with a high football I. Q. and the improvisational skills to be productive. With Old Dominion making the transition to the FBS-level in 2014, the bar will be raised for Heinicke as a senior."
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 11:30 AM by ODU AGGIE.)
08-12-2014 10:38 AM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(08-12-2014 10:38 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 09:59 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  AGGIE, is this the product of NFL Scouts watching the players at the August camp(s). I'm Just trying to understand why Cato has dropped so much in the last few months.

I think the 6' 0"" height at 185 lbs hurts him. This is the core of what nfldraftscout had to say on Cato that holds him back:

“...the lack of size, inconsistent mechanics and overconfident arm hurt his NFL value..."

Here is the core of what they had to say on TH that leads me to believe his stock will go even higher after he has another strong season against FBS competition:

"...He is a cerebral passer with a high football I. Q. and the improvisational skills to be productive. With Old Dominion making the transition to the FBS-level in 2014, the bar will be raised for Heinicke as a senior."

Thanks for the info. This season's performance could potentially move him into a position as our first NFL draft pick. I think he has the genetics to do well under pressure but a few factors will be out of his control. The O line and our defense will play heavily in the outcome of this year's team, which will ultimately effect his stock as well.
08-12-2014 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Making good reads and developing arm strength I think will help more than anything. Pros don't seem to be all that in love anymore with improv QB's.
08-12-2014 11:18 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2014 11:18 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Making good reads and developing arm strength I think will help more than anything. Pros don't seem to be all that in love anymore with improv QB's.

I don't know. The Browns took Johnny Football. The quarterbacks at Seattle and San Francisco seem to have some improv capability. They will always take a good QB who can turn a bad play into a good one, and TH clearly does that very well. I certainly don't think his improv ability hurts him in any way.
08-12-2014 11:36 AM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

TH needs to have a damn good season to have a shot at being drafted. QBs his size just don't get any love on draft day. Manziel and Wilson are the exception, and they only got love because they did it against the best competition in the land for multiple seasons. If Heinicke has anything less than a great season this year, he'll have a long road to the NFL ahead of him.

Of course, I've been wrong before and would love to be wrong here.
08-12-2014 11:41 AM
Advertisement

ODUR8R Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
Russell Wilson is a unique athlete. I believe his hands are considered elite whereas a taller Teddy Bridgewater has small hands.

Wilson is also built like a workhorse RB which helps him in the open field.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-12-2014 12:02 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

For the record, I am not saying TH is the best thing since sliced bread and is a cinch to be drafted. I am sharing what I found on NFLDraftScout.com, and they show him the 14th rated quarterback in the 2015 draft and rate him as a possible 7th round pick. What they say about him indicates they like the same qualities most of us Monarch fans like. He is smart with good football instincts and completes 70% of his passes with an average NFL arm. They also indicate his real value will be determined by how he does this year against FBS competition. I think these are all things most of us agree with.

If he does have another 4,000+ yards year while pushing 70% completions, 35 or so TDs and only 10-12 picks -- he will be drafted and possibly move up into the round 4-5 vicinity. Now that's not me. That's NFLDraftScout, but I agree whole heartedly.
08-12-2014 12:28 PM
bit_9 Offline

For s&g's I measured. I'm 5'11 (rounding up) and I measure a 9.5" hand. The NFL avg is 9.6". Man, I could be in the NFL. Thanks dad. =]
08-12-2014 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Im 6-3 and only a 9.25" hand size
08-12-2014 01:07 PM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

6'3" with a 10 7/8" hand size. I picked the wrong profession.
08-12-2014 01:23 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

If you find a job that values your hand size, does that mean you found a good hand job?
08-12-2014 01:37 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

6' 2.5" and can't palm a basketball, can't jump, and am slower than molasses on New Year's morning. Other than those minor drawbacks, I am one hell of an athlete in my own mind.
08-12-2014 01:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.