Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
OU's Boren wants XII to get back to 12 teams
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
OU's Boren wants XII to get back to 12 teams
http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthr...not/page71

OU President David Boren was interviewed by soonersports.com last night and had some interesting things to say:

Quote:OU president Boren indicated last night that he would like the Big 12 to eventually expand to 12 members.

Quote:Boren also indicated that the BIG 12 is stable for now…..and that everybody is now getting along very well
Without naming Texas he did talk about how he had to play hard ball with UT.
Boren also indicated that you never know what might happen years from now….

Quote:That Boren interview was very interesting.

He admitted that the schools that left the Big 12 conference felt they were being bullied by Texas
He said that the former Big 12 Commissioner would have to consult with Texas and UT regents before being able to do big 12 business
He said he wanted to add Louisville and one other to build a bridge to West Virginia.
He said the Big 12 was close to breaking apart
He said OU had "2 or 3 other conferences that were interested". Then said he had flown to the west coast and the east coast as well as north, when talking to these other conferences. So...that would be West: PAC, North: B1G 10 East: ???? ACC??? merger? The SEC HQ isn't east coast, it's in Birmingham, AL.
He talked about having to stand up to Texas. About how OU was a major part of the conference, and how he & OU had to take it's role in leadership of the conference
He mentioned that some of OU's interest in realignment was "playing poker" and playing "hard ball" to get some of the things OU wanted.
He defended adding WVU as a cultural fit.

My big take away...if Boren had to make the decision, the Big 12 would add 2 schools to get back to 12, but no more. He also wants and likes the "Midwestern sensibilities" as he called them.
And the source of the interview is behind a paywall, but if you're feeling froggy:

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/...M_ID=31000

I don't think that this means that any moves are on the immediate horizon, but it does indicate that OU is more than willing to talk expansion.
08-11-2014 10:02 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
RE: OU's Boren wants XII to get back to 12 teams
Cincinnati, it may be time to put that Sunday dress on. Who else? Memphis? No one else I can think of would provide that "bridge to West Virginia."
08-11-2014 10:12 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-11-2014 10:02 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthr...not/page71

OU President David Boren was interviewed by soonersports.com last night and had some interesting things to say:

Quote:OU president Boren indicated last night that he would like the Big 12 to eventually expand to 12 members.

Quote:Boren also indicated that the BIG 12 is stable for now…..and that everybody is now getting along very well
Without naming Texas he did talk about how he had to play hard ball with UT.
Boren also indicated that you never know what might happen years from now….

Quote:That Boren interview was very interesting.

He admitted that the schools that left the Big 12 conference felt they were being bullied by Texas
Nebraska did feel like they were being bullied specifically by Texas when 11 members voted against them. A&M ALWAYS feels like its being bullied by Texas.

He said that the former Big 12 Commissioner would have to consult with Texas and UT regents before being able to do big 12 business
[/i]Texas didn't want Dan Beebe. They wanted Jack Swarbick. OU wanted Beebe. So Boren didn't like the guy he hired over Texas's objection.
He said he wanted to add Louisville and one other to build a bridge to West Virginia.
[i]Its long been rumored the reason WVU was delayed (and their senators threw temper tantrums) was NOT because they were thinking of taking UL over WVU, but because of issues with Missouri and with the possibility of going to 11 with WVU and UL-but TV vetoed that.

He said the Big 12 was close to breaking apart
Duh
He said OU had "2 or 3 other conferences that were interested". Then said he had flown to the west coast and the east coast as well as north, when talking to these other conferences. So...that would be West: PAC, North: B1G 10 East: ???? ACC??? merger? The SEC HQ isn't east coast, it's in Birmingham, AL.
Duh
He talked about having to stand up to Texas. About how OU was a major part of the conference, and how he & OU had to take it's role in leadership of the conference
His leadership role was to drive Missouri out of the conference by flirting with the Pac 12. Great example of leadership.
He mentioned that some of OU's interest in realignment was "playing poker" and playing "hard ball" to get some of the things OU wanted.
He defended adding WVU as a cultural fit.

My big take away...if Boren had to make the decision, the Big 12 would add 2 schools to get back to 12, but no more. He also wants and likes the "Midwestern sensibilities" as he called them.
And the source of the interview is behind a paywall, but if you're feeling froggy:

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/...M_ID=31000

I don't think that this means that any moves are on the immediate horizon, but it does indicate that OU is more than willing to talk expansion.

One of the last lines says the interview will be on Fox Sports SW at 10 am tomorrow.

OU was interested in still thinking about going to 12 after most everyone else had lost interest.
08-11-2014 10:22 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-11-2014 10:12 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  Cincinnati, it may be time to put that Sunday dress on. Who else? Memphis? No one else I can think of would provide that "bridge to West Virginia."

Well WVU and OU will talk to them. But no one else will.
08-11-2014 10:24 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
OU should do what TCU did, get the UT prez liquored up. I'm talking "three sheets to the wind" liquored up.
08-11-2014 10:28 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-11-2014 10:24 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 10:12 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  Cincinnati, it may be time to put that Sunday dress on. Who else? Memphis? No one else I can think of would provide that "bridge to West Virginia."

Boren, according to Landthieves, was also rumored to have recently flown to a location in the Southeast to talk about other options for the Sooners. And I'm not saying it was the SEC it could just as easily have been the ACC or Delany on vacation. So I wouldn't put a lot of stock in comments made right now one way or the other. It sounds to me as if he is just updating his options list which of course includes staying in a 12 school Big 12.
08-11-2014 10:28 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston

Suppsedly Oklahoma has been very impressed with Houston. The 2016 neutral site game in Reliant might be an indicator that they could be supportive of Houston sometime in the future.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 10:43 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-11-2014 10:42 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(08-11-2014 10:28 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Boren, according to Landthieves, was also rumored to have recently flown to a location in the Southeast to talk about other options for the Sooners. And I'm not saying it was the SEC it could just as easily have been the ACC or Delany on vacation. So I wouldn't put a lot of stock in comments made right now one way or the other. It sounds to me as if he is just updating his options list which of course includes staying in a 12 school Big 12.

What we have here is the beginning of a symbolic parting of ways for the two Kings of the Big 12. I say symbolic because it will appear as if there is stormy weather between the two but the protection of what is truly valuable between the two shall live on beyond the parting that is now inevitable.

What do we see in his comments? Statements of opposition to what Texas has said. Oklahoma wants expansion, Texas does not.

He is quite openly marking Texas as "The bad guy". Perhaps this was agreed upon in order for Oklahoma to go along with this, perhaps it is his own flourish.

A little too early for me to start saying I told you so but....this is the beginning.

As to Boren meeting with the SEC. He would be a damned fool if during this process he didn't meet with all parties, even if their destination is already set in stone. If it isn't set in stone then he has to build Oklahoma's position for negotiations. If it is already set in stone then proper appearances of it Not being set in stone need to be made. Either way, I fully believe that he is already speaking with folks from other conferences. This isn't even news. That is a constant state of affairs these days. Who knows, perhaps he is having to make a deal with the SEC and ESPN so that they will accept Oklahoma State. After all, ESPN Headquarters are to the East.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 11:07 PM by He1nousOne.)
08-11-2014 10:47 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(08-11-2014 10:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Supposedly Oklahoma has been very impressed with Houston. The 2016 neutral site game in Reliant might be an indicator that they could be supportive of Houston sometime in the future.
For the league to put a 5th team in Texas would be a real shock.

If having a bridge to WVU is very important to the rest of the league, then I agree Cincinnati would be a prime suspect. But I doubt if having the bridge really is that important in the first place. Maybe, maybe not. If/when the league does expand past 10, I would have to guess that they would look first to some growing demographic markets. The Big <XII -- aside from the state of Texas -- is in some very stagnant areas. Programs like BYU, UCF would help liven up the party.

But all that is a several years down the road.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 10:52 PM by Native Georgian.)
08-11-2014 10:51 PM
He1nousOne Offline

Boren is bring up the issue of expansion because it is an issue without solution. It is not meant to spark expansion. Seriously though, the AAC is going to be in very strong standing and a school like Houston may even be better positioned in that future AAC of 20 than it would be in a Big 12 of 12. Granted being in that Big 12 would be pretty f'n awesome for UH and it's alumni/fans but the championship of the AAC is very attainable and when the AAC gets it's automatic berth in the 8 team tournament, Houston will be a strong contender for that during many seasons.
08-11-2014 10:59 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
BYU & Conn have to be 1 & 2
if BYU is no go, then Cin & Conn
if you can get all 3, who 14, Buffalo, UCF is on island, the problem ur trying to fix
my ? is how do u get ISU, KU & KSU to leave TexOkla
08-11-2014 11:04 PM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-11-2014 10:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Suppsedly Oklahoma has been very impressed with Houston. The 2016 neutral site game in Reliant might be an indicator that they could be supportive of Houston sometime in the future.

I do not know about their being very impressed with Houston. I suppose it depends if you are talking about the City or the school. I know they have always been impressed with the recruits in Houston and I think that if the Big12 ever expands Oklahoma and Oklahoma State both would support adding Houston for recruiting purposes. Remember OSU played a neutral sight game in Houston last year.
08-11-2014 11:20 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(08-11-2014 11:20 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 10:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I do not know about their being very impressed with Houston. I suppose it depends if you are talking about the City or the school. I know they have always been impressed with the recruits in Houston and I think that if the Big12 ever expands Oklahoma and Oklahoma State both would support adding Houston for recruiting purposes. Remember OSU played a neutral sight game in Houston last year.

lol...I'll take either if they sponsor us for the Big-12. FWIW--Ive heard for some time that Oklahoma has been surprising receptive to the idea of Houston in the Big-12. I have no doubt that part of our attraction is the Houston recruiting area. That said, I would think they have at least been a little impressed by the campus growth that includes a new football stadium, new dorms, new basketball practice facility, a planned new tennis facility, new artificial baseball stadium playing surface, new football practice fields, and a planned complete renovation of Hofheinz--especially given our G5 income. Btw--I hope the renovation of the Hoff turns out as nicely as Moody.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 11:50 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-11-2014 11:44 PM
Cali_Cat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC fans to stop
I have little to no interest in the Big 12. I wouldn't mind it if we were added with UofL and WVU...but no thanks now...07-coffee3
08-11-2014 11:59 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(08-11-2014 11:59 PM)Cali_Cat Wrote:  I have little to no interest in the Big 12. I wouldn't mind it if we were added with UofL and WVU...but no thanks now...07-coffee3

Who's we? You and the voices in your head?
08-12-2014 12:06 AM
Cali_Cat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC fans to stop
(08-12-2014 12:06 AM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 11:59 PM)Cali_Cat Wrote:  I have little to no interest in the Big 12. I wouldn't mind it if we were added with UofL and WVU...but no thanks now...07-coffee3

Who's we? You and the voices in your head?

The University of Cincinnati, which is where my fandom lies...07-coffee3
08-12-2014 12:22 AM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-11-2014 11:04 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  BYU & Conn have to be 1 & 2
if you can get all 3, who 14, Buffalo, UCF is on island, the problem ur trying to fix

WVU too. They haven't been playing there long but they don't want to give up playing Texas and Oklahoma every year to be in the North division.
08-12-2014 12:47 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(08-12-2014 12:47 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 11:04 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  BYU & Conn have to be 1 & 2

WVU too. They haven't been playing there long but they don't want to give up playing Texas and Oklahoma every year to be in the North division.

It's impossible to do. Just as it is impossible to come to agreement on whom to invite if schools actually were to be invited.

Because that is the debate that Boren chose to make, that is why we know the real point of what he is doing now.

People need to seriously stop attacking me so much. I said the Big 12 was in the sights and the fact that CBS's Dodd was the one putting the target there, it meant this was serious. Now we have Boren doing this?

When are people going to stop putting their head in the sand and instead open their eyes to just how much is possible now? The rules have been changed.

You folks think WVU, ISU and KSU would willingly agree to weaken their strength of schedule by a massive amount? That is what they would be agreeing to. They would also be agreeing to a massive cut in their funding when you considering ticket sales. The Big 12 is just too polarized. It has two Kings and both of them refuse to be split apart if they are in the same conference. Without splitting Oklahoma and Texas, there is no point in even discussing divisions for the Big 12.

It is a shame that they are reigniting the flame of hope in some of these fans of "potential invites" but they must in order to set the table for what they are about to do.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 01:41 AM by He1nousOne.)
08-12-2014 01:37 AM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Would the NCAA rules allow us to play 11 conference FB games? That would let us stick with the round-robin schedules that we like so much.
08-12-2014 06:43 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(08-12-2014 06:43 AM)PlayBall! Wrote:  Would the NCAA rules allow us to play 11 conference FB games? That would let us stick with the round-robin schedules that we like so much.

You would not need the NCAA Approval for that...but it would make for a boring schedule....05-nono
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 07:03 AM by Maize.)
08-12-2014 07:03 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.