Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFN Big 10 tidbits on Week 2 opponent
Bookmark and Share
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Here are a few things I found interesting from CFN's Big 10 preview
A little surprised they see Ball State a threat to Iowa and NIU not a threat to NU. Not saying NIU should be considered a threat to NU, probably more like I don't think Ball State should be listed as a threat to Iowa.

NU could really really make this ugly in the passing game.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1432580.html

Watch out for ... Northwestern. Last year was a blip. The 2012 team outkicked its coverage, and the 2013 team had a bizarre string of bad luck losses. This year’s team will be closer to the real Northwestern

Team That'll Surprise
Northwestern - Completely ignored after a dud year, the veteran team will have an identity on offense with more passing thanks to Trevor Siemian under center full-time and a loaded receiving corps to play with. The defense will be stronger, and the ugly losses of last year won't happen twice. Last year's team should've had at least seven wins - with bad luck against Nebraska and Michigan easily going the other way. This year it'll come up with at least eight. Illinois is a very, very close second in the surprise race. If QB Wes Lunt stays healthy, the Illini will go bowling.

5 Big-Time Players Who Deserve a Bigger Spotlight ...
1. RB Tevin Coleman, Jr. Indiana
2. SS Earnest Thomas, Sr. Illinois
3. RB David Cobb, Sr. Minnesota
4. CB Sojourn Shelton, Soph. Wisconsin
5. LB Chi Chi Ariguzo, Sr. Northwestern

5 Non-Conference Games the Big Ten had better take very, very seriously
1. Cincinnati at Ohio State, Sept. 27
2. Bowling Green at Wisconsin, Sept. 20
3. Texas State at Illinois, Sept. 20
4. Ball State at Iowa, Sept. 6
5. Rutgers at Navy, Sept. 20
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 08:00 AM by MaddDawgz02.)
08-11-2014 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
RE: CFN Big 10 tidbits on Week 2 opponent
Doesn't matter what CFN says. NU players and coaches will take us very, very seriously.
08-11-2014 08:14 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-11-2014 08:14 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  Doesn't matter what CFN says. NU players and coaches will take us very, very seriously.

Very true. I do like their BG/Wisconsin mention though, that game screams danger for UW
08-11-2014 08:19 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
The real Northwestern is an average team. Period. I respect what they've done in getting national recognition. But they've had losing conference seasons in 2013, 2011, and 2010. They went 5-3 in 08 and 09.

They do more than they should, but I never understood the NW love. They beat up on FCS and do decent vs other BCS teams, but they're an average BigTen team.
08-11-2014 08:21 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
CFN has no credibility.
08-11-2014 08:28 AM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

If NIU is as good as I think they'll be, it's certainly a winnable game.

In part time last year, Siemian had 11 TD/9 INT (and 4 of those TDs came against Illinois) and was sacked 19 times. So in all games not against Illinois, he had 7 TD/9 INT. I don't think he's any good.
08-11-2014 08:31 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
How is NIU ever not a threat to NU, or any middle of the pack Pig10 team?
08-11-2014 09:43 AM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

It may not be a game for the B1G to worry about because they're already used to losing to NIU.
08-11-2014 10:20 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

NIU 4-3 I believe in the last 7 vs Big 10, not bad considering 5 of those are on the road and 2 at neutral site.
08-11-2014 10:27 AM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-11-2014 10:20 AM)17Huskies Wrote:  It may not be a game for the B1G to worry about because they're already used to losing to NIU.

Speaking of the big 10, I was going back and watching some of the Minnesota game back in 2010 again, and I'll tell you, every time I see that game I get a weirder and weirder feeling about it. You just watch some of the Minnesota defense during that game and they are way way beyond checked out. A few of the plays look almost Toledo-Vegas suspicious.
08-11-2014 10:48 AM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
They take us seriously so we don't need to be mentioned. It's the other teams that have historically not presented a challenge that they need to take seriously.
08-11-2014 10:56 AM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2014 10:48 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 10:20 AM)17Huskies Wrote:  It may not be a game for the B1G to worry about because they're already used to losing to NIU.

Speaking of the big 10, I was going back and watching some of the Minnesota game back in 2010 again, and I'll tell you, every time I see that game I get a weirder and weirder feeling about it. You just watch some of the Minnesota defense during that game and they are way way beyond checked out. A few of the plays look almost Toledo-Vegas suspicious.

I remember that game...it was crazy how much our O-line manhandled their D, absolute domination (even though the score wasn't crazy like the Purdue game)
08-11-2014 11:09 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

If we can get a pass rush in that game I think we can win.
Problem is we rarely get a pass rush without blitzing.
08-11-2014 12:47 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
NU takes us seriously - they know the Orange Bowl story and Heisman trophy candidate as well as our recent record against Big10 teams.

Im surprised Texas State is mention against IL. Is IL that bad where that game becomes serious? Texas State?
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 09:50 PM by NIU05.)
08-11-2014 02:12 PM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies

They were interested in getting their coach fired... and they succeeded by laying down and letting us kick them around for 4 hours.
08-11-2014 04:12 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-11-2014 04:12 PM)cawoo22 Wrote:  

They were interested in getting their coach fired... and they succeeded by laying down and letting us kick them around for 4 hours.

This makes a whole lot of sense. I've heard players talk about that team in a very bitter sense. Going back and watching that spann long td run... Not to take anything away from him but that was a case of defense laying down
08-11-2014 05:01 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(08-11-2014 02:12 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Im surprised Texas State is mention against IL. Is IL that bad where that game becomes serious? Texas State?

Illinois has been bad and there's nothing special about the returnees, newcomers or coaching to believe that trend will change. The thinking is they'll beat Youngstown State and Western Kentucky in their first two at home, then lose at Washington.
Then the assumption by the Illini is that they'll win at home over Texas State for momentum going to Nebraska. Reality, however, is that Nebraska will pummel them, so the question is are they focused enough to deal with Texas State if things go wrong or TSU's Bobcats catch a break? Dennis Franchione won as a head coach at Alabama but because of sanctions on the Tide program, he jumped to Texas A&M. Aggies were ranked at times but he got caught "sellling" a newsletter to top boosters and ended up resigning. Obviously he still had his friends and contacts in the Lone Star State and has been improving Texas State and the thinking is the Bobcats will improve beyond 6-6. Like any other Sun Belt or MAC team, it's a chance to knock off a B1G team perhaps looking ahead.
Do I believe it will happen? No. But if you want to draw up a scenario where a Texas State can pull off a surprise, this could be it.
08-12-2014 08:43 AM
Advertisement

bigdhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu, bears
(08-12-2014 08:43 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 02:12 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Im surprised Texas State is mention against IL. Is IL that bad where that game becomes serious? Texas State?

Illinois has been bad and there's nothing special about the returnees, newcomers or coaching to believe that trend will change. The thinking is they'll beat Youngstown State and Western Kentucky in their first two at home, then lose at Washington.
Then the assumption by the Illini is that they'll win at home over Texas State for momentum going to Nebraska. Reality, however, is that Nebraska will pummel them, so the question is are they focused enough to deal with Texas State if things go wrong or TSU's Bobcats catch a break? Dennis Franchione won as a head coach at Alabama but because of sanctions on the Tide program, he jumped to Texas A&M. Aggies were ranked at times but he got caught "sellling" a newsletter to top boosters and ended up resigning. Obviously he still had his friends and contacts in the Lone Star State and has been improving Texas State and the thinking is the Bobcats will improve beyond 6-6. Like any other Sun Belt or MAC team, it's a chance to knock off a B1G team perhaps looking ahead.
Do I believe it will happen? No. But if you want to draw up a scenario where a Texas State can pull off a surprise, this could be it.

Watch out for the Bobcats and D. Franchione......I predict an upset
08-12-2014 07:56 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(08-12-2014 07:56 PM)bigdhuskie Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 08:43 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  

Watch out for the Bobcats and D. Franchione......I predict an upset

Texas State also has the secret weapon[Image: Roughness-Kathy-Ireland_294.jpg]
08-12-2014 09:29 PM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

Kathy Ireland would get it...even the kohls catalog version that was around in the late 90s

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-12-2014 10:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.