Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Five questions with UC coach Tommy Tuberville
Five questions with UC coach Tommy Tuberville
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 1:52 p.m. EDT August 9, 2014

[Image: 1407606663000-004UC-PRACTICE.JPG]
Tommy Tuberville (Photo: The Enquirer/ Amanda Rossmann)

Tommy Tuberville is starting his second year as University of Cincinnati coach, with the Bearcats opening preseason practice Monday at their Higher Ground getaway in West Harrison, Ind.

UC went 9-4 last season, capped by a 39-17 Belk Bowl loss to North Carolina. With UC picked to finish first in the American Athletic Conference by league media, Tuberville recently answered five questions from Enquirer UC football beat reporter Tom Groeschen.

Q: What are some of the main differences in your program, year one to year two?

A: We're so much more comfortable this year knowing where we are, where we want this program to go. We're not to the promised land, but we know a lot more about the players on the team, the recruits that we've recruited last two years.

We know what we want to do on offense and defense, what to expect when we get to the season with the teams that we're playing. We're much better physically in terms of strength and size. We need to get bigger and stronger in some areas, but we've gotten quicker. We understand more of where the guys fit in.

Q: What is the latest on your quarterback situation? (NOTE: Former starter Munchie Legaux is returning from a severe knee injury that ended his 2013 season, and his playing status remains uncertain).

A: Obviously, Gunner (Kiel) is the guy right now. Jarred Evans is the guy that I brought in to be the Munchie for this year, to be a run-around guy to make plays. I'm going to use Jarred. If Munchie plays, he'll take plays away from Jarred.

Remember, last year we sat here and Brendon Kay was going to be the quarterback, and we get in there and Munchie beats him out. Munchie's getting better physically. Once he gets there, he's got to mentally get over standing in the pocket throwing the football.

We've also got (true freshman) Hayden Moore, a kid from Alabama. He's going to be a star here at Cincinnati, but this isn't going to be his year.

Q: Who are you counting on to lead this team?

A: (Running back/slot receiver) Ralph Abernathy is one of the guys we're counting on, not just on the field but off the field with his leadership. He'll play several roles for us on offense. Defensively, (cornerback) Adrian Witty and (linebacker) Nick Temple have been working hard and they've been good leaders.

The area we've got to find somebody that's going to step up for us is in the kicking game, punting and kicking. (Placekicker) Tony Miliano didn't have a very good year but he's worked really hard, I've been watching him. We've got some competition in that area, and also in punting with (returnee) John Lloyd.

We've got to get better in the kicking game for this team to take another step forward, and be the team that we can be.

Q: You have said that you're not happy about having two open dates to start the season. Does that change anything with your preseason approach? (NOTE: UC opens Sept. 12 against Toledo at Paul Brown Stadium).

A: We tried over the last 14-15 months to save us from having two open dates at the beginning, but it just didn't work out. We tried to get a conference game moved up and the league didn't help us. I guess there were too many conflicts.

You never want to open up that late. Some teams have already played two games by the time we've played a game, and then it gives you only one open date during the year. It's something you don't ever want to do again …. It is what it is.

Q: The fans haven't seen your team since the spring game. What have your players shown you during offseason workouts?

A: The strength coaches and our staff have done a great job of organizing things and getting them ready, and I want to brag about our players. We haven't been able to coach them on the field but they've been working hard on their own. They've done a tremendous job of leadership and working together and getting this team ready to go. I know we have a good football team.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../13826331/

08-10-2014 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: Five questions with UC coach Tommy Tuberville
I love CTT's optimism 04-rock I'm ready.

08-11-2014 03:11 AM
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Five questions with UC coach Tommy Tuberville
(08-11-2014 03:11 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  I love CTT's optimism 04-rock I'm ready.

Right with you. Let's hope they stay healthy and play up to their potential. If so, it could be one of the greatest seasons ever for Bearcat football.

08-11-2014 06:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.