Federal judge rules against NCAA in O'Bannon Antitrust Case
08-08-2014 07:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
RE: Federal judge rules against NCAA in O'Bannon Antitrust Case
I'm certain there will be appeals. This likely ends up at the Supreme Court.
08-08-2014 08:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
This ruling along with the Autonomy vote and college sports will never be the same. Open bidding wars for athletes will now start.
08-08-2014 10:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(08-08-2014 10:13 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  This ruling along with the Autonomy vote and college sports will never be the same. Open bidding wars for athletes will now start.

This is my only issue with allowing players to get paid anything for their likeness. That basically means FedEx could pay a kid millions to appear in one commercials or show up at some event. There has to be some form of limits to stop players from just going to the highest bidder.
08-08-2014 10:31 PM
Advertisement

Timandjen94 Offline
2nd String

Federal judge rules against NCAA in O'Bannon Antitrust Case
I am very confused and concerned what the implications for our university will be

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-08-2014 11:22 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2014 10:31 PM)Tygrys Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 10:13 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  This ruling along with the Autonomy vote and college sports will never be the same. Open bidding wars for athletes will now start.

This is my only issue with allowing players to get paid anything for their likeness. That basically means FedEx could pay a kid millions to appear in one commercials or show up at some event. There has to be some form of limits to stop players from just going to the highest bidder.

Why?
08-09-2014 01:13 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(08-09-2014 01:13 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Why?

It essentially allows schools with the deepest pockets to buy the best players. It is exactly what the P5 want because this leads to a huge disparity between the haves and have nots. With this ruling they do not need to make their own league because it will come about naturally now.
08-09-2014 02:39 PM
Advertisement

Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(08-09-2014 01:13 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Why?

And just to be clear. I do not have a real issue with kids being able to make some money by doing appearances or commercials or whatever, however, I just there has to be some reasonable balance/method to stop the richest schools simply buying the best players.
08-09-2014 02:42 PM
JhanJo Offline
1st String

Take it another step..... If the school has to pay a player extra because they use his likeness, name, etc on jersey's or promo's, then they are going to market the individual player less. How does ESPN and other sports broadcast companies handle this? Seems they would have to be careful what and how they promote the various events.

You see? this is why we can't have anything nice!
08-09-2014 03:01 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
i have no problem with it.
08-09-2014 04:00 PM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Issue will be how many student nationwide will lose a chance to go to college after schools start cutting non revenue sports to cover the cost of the paying players in revenue sports. Title IX will protect most of the women's teams. But many men's teams will get the axe.
08-09-2014 06:15 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

Read Michaele McCann (sp?) from SI. He actually has legal experience interpreting and applying rulings.
08-09-2014 07:36 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(08-09-2014 06:15 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Issue will be how many student nationwide will lose a chance to go to college after schools start cutting non revenue sports to cover the cost of the paying players in revenue sports. Title IX will protect most of the women's teams. But many men's teams will get the axe.

25 years and scholarship athletics will be gone.

Honestly, good riddance. I love the tigers, but when you take a step back and look at the rest of the world and then the united states, you see that we have totally lost sight of what universities are supposed to be doing: Education. Giving scholarships for football or tennis or target shooting is just sheer lunacy, we just had a vacuum of sports that created a business that then created the justification for athletic scholarships.
08-09-2014 09:14 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
lets try to win a national title before they go away then.
08-11-2014 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.