Open TigerLinks

AAC Commissioner Responds To The Autonomy Vote
Bookmark and Share
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
AAC Commissioner Responds To The Autonomy Vote
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...structure/

We are pleased that the NCAA Governance Redesign Model was adopted today by the NCAA Board of Directors. We extend our congratulations to Dr. Nathan Hatch and to the NCAA Steering Committee for its excellent work in designing a model that we believe will enjoy broad acceptance. We also appreciate the exemplary efforts of our NCAA Board representative, Dr. John Hitt of UCF, and our Conference Board chair, Dr. Gerald Turner of SMU, who were deeply engaged in this process.

Our conference membership supports the new governance model and the opportunities it will present to enhance the student-athlete experience and student-athlete welfare. Our presidents and athletic directors are steadfast in their commitment to these ideals and also to providing our student-athletes with the ability to compete at the highest level of collegiate athletics.
08-08-2014 09:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
RE: AAC Commissioner Responds To The Autonomy Vote
Couple of snippets below:

"Wright State president David Hopkins said that even though his school competes in the Horizon League, which isn't one of the five high-resources conferences, he did not believe it would be a death knell to its ability to compete."

"Long-term, though, there will be questions about whether an NCAA structure can work with 65 schools in one category and more than 280 in another while living under the same so-called "big tent" and also sharing hundreds of millions in revenue each year generated by the Division I men's basketball tournament."

There's been an unofficial dividing line; now it's official. In 2013 we were 'in the club' for one year (sort of). We're on the outside looking in again.

The G5 and the rest of the small-fry can spout off all the brave words they want to but if you think the gap is big now just wait and see what happen over the next 3-5 years.

Scary times.....we either have to get back in the club or in a decade we're basically what FCS is today and FCS gets pushed even further down the totem pole.
08-08-2014 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Yup. We are doomed. what part of "Power 5 Autonomy" are they missing out on?
08-08-2014 11:18 AM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(08-08-2014 11:18 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Yup. We are doomed. what part of "Power 5 Autonomy" are they missing out on?

But not doomed forever.
08-08-2014 11:53 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
"In a world of haves and have-nots, the American has officially been relegated to college football's version of Triple-A.

After enjoying privileged status throughout the BCS era, the conference formerly known as the Big East watched the clock strike 12 on it after champion UCF shocked Baylor in January's Fiesta Bowl. Goodbye, Power 5. Hello, Group of 5. So long, automatic bid to a lucrative postseason payday. Glad to make your acquaintances, Miami Beach Bowl"
08-08-2014 08:45 PM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(08-08-2014 08:45 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  "In a world of haves and have-nots, the American has officially been relegated to college football's version of Triple-A.

After enjoying privileged status throughout the BCS era, the conference formerly known as the Big East watched the clock strike 12 on it after champion UCF shocked Baylor in January's Fiesta Bowl. Goodbye, Power 5. Hello, Group of 5. So long, automatic bid to a lucrative postseason payday. Glad to make your acquaintances, Miami Beach Bowl"

Do you recommend giving up? I say to hell with that.
08-09-2014 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
(08-09-2014 09:48 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 08:45 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  "In a world of haves and have-nots, the American has officially been relegated to college football's version of Triple-A.

It's one thing to give up. It's another to realize you've been excluded & excommunicated.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 10:09 AM by BIGDTiger.)
08-09-2014 10:09 AM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(08-09-2014 10:09 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  

It's one thing to give up. It's another to realize you've been excluded & excommunicated.

To prepare yourself ahead of time for what you think could be the worst future is a painful option.

Good people with wide-angle vision are on it.
08-09-2014 12:24 PM
dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
The response is what has me so down on this whole new arrangement. There was leverage and everyone just let it go, hoping beyond hope that one day they can join the club. The rest of the NCAA should have called their bluff and told them to go and starting this year any game in any sport with a non NCAA member was off the table. The way everyone just rolled over is disheartening to say the least. I can't say this is it for me and college football but if it plays out how I think it will I can see me losing interest. There is no way we can compete when there will be 2 sets of rules. Its going to affect basketball also I don't see how it can't. I mean I am just at a loss on how to take this. I'm not going to jump off a cliff but I can tell you I have no interest in going to a game where we line up basically walk on's against paid all stars. I'm not going to pay to see that and I don't get the feeling that I am alone. I'm not going to say the next step but I think its pretty obvious. You know I'm not even sure that if we by some miracle get in the club that I want to go see the NFL minor leagues either.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 12:28 PM by dcg141.)
08-09-2014 12:27 PM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators

This was a quote from an article that was posted on the front of the official AAC conference website....... I think I'd have left this one off.
08-14-2014 08:42 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
It's OVA. The last train has left the station
08-14-2014 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.