Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We should go hard after Kansas fans Oklahoma to bring in Texas
Bookmark and Share
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
We should go hard after Kansas fans Oklahoma to bring in Texas
Thanks to the Hubris of Texas, the Big 12 is now and will forever be subject to plucking. Losing the states of Colorado, Nebraska, and Missouri and a huge chunk of Texas being invaded by the enemies to the southeast was a huge sacrifice for a (by all account) miserable failure that is the Longhorn Network. Regardless of what people think about the grants of rights... they expire and methinks Texas will be shopping around when the gig is up.

With all of that being said we need to make the Big Ten more attractive and geographically friendly. With A&M in the SEC, the SEC really doesnt need UT so IMO the main competition will be from the Pac and B1G. We lost out when we didnt invite Mizzou to the B1G but that can be mitigated somewhat with basketball powerhouse KU which can capture the KC market while ILL delivers St Louis. Next step is Oklahoma which would make Nebraska fans extremely happy but really pave the way for Texas to have some familiarity and comfort in an expanded Big Ten.

Obviously 17 is a terrible # to stop at and since I dont see Mizzou leaving the SEC, all remaining targets would be coming from the east. UConn is attractive to lock up NYC and New England and get to 18, but beyond that getting to 20 is tricky and would almost certainly require the SEC going in to poach the ACC of NCST and VT along with the B1G. The only schools we'd be interested in would be the schools least likely to want to leave. To get to 20 we would want UNC and UVA, but in order to get them we may have to create a mini ACC by going to 24 in a southern division that included Duke, GT, FSU and either Clemson or Miami.

Long story short, 18 is the most I see us going to to get Texas, beyond that... it's not really feasible to expand all the way to 24 just to get UNC and UVA.
08-08-2014 12:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Waterloo Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: State U of IOWA
RE: We should go hard after Kansas fans Oklahoma to bring in Texas
I'd like to see the B1G try and get Mizzou, KU, OU. I think Mizzou would move.

OU is basically Nebraska athletically and academically. Big time, national football following and OU would provide access to North Texas, the Sooners have a huge presence in North Texas/Dallas.

As far the fourth addition to go with the above three, I'd like to see Notre Dame. ND would provide all the east coast exposure you could want without the travel. Notre Dame fits the B1G model perfectly. And like OU, it wouldn't be an AAU member but I think the conference would look the other way for both nationally recognized programs.

If Notre Dame is still out of reach then maybe go after another SEC team like Vanderbilt. No exit fees or GOR issues to deal with from that conference. And Nashville would be a great TV market.

Texas certainly fits the B1G mold too, but UT is a cancer.
08-08-2014 12:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.