RE: Aresco comments on Autonomy on Sporting News Radio
He sounds concerned
08-07-2014 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redvolution Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
He makes perfect sense. Why is playing Louisville 'ok' now, but not before? Why is playing Rutgers 'ok' now but not a year ago? TCU now but not in 2011, etc. etc. This whole thing just has a funny smell to it, and this whole concept of 'breaking away' will not go as cleanly as some of those coaches, AD's, and conference commissioners would like. If they want to create a football version of the D-league or AAA baseball, then have at it and we'll see what happens to all of those tv deals, fanfare, and popularity they already have and enjoy now.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 08:55 PM by Redvolution.)
08-07-2014 08:51 PM
Pirate1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePiratesofECU
rightfully so.
08-07-2014 08:52 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Looks to me as if Mike Aresco has given up... I understand the difficulties the AAC had before, but with the Autonomy now in the so called p5 hands, things may have gotten much worse for this league.
08-07-2014 09:49 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
He needs to go along with the P5.
08-07-2014 09:51 PM
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(08-07-2014 08:39 PM)First Mate Wrote:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footbal...i%2FSNMain

I have a feeling it may work out ok. If nothing else it has been proven and we can all agree that all this realignment was driven by one thing and that was money. Based on that premise once the school presidents and commissioners see how much money is involved in this playoff system I can’t see where it wont be expanded from 4 teams to 8 teams in the very near future. If that’s the case I think the best that we can hope for is 5 spots reserved for the 5 P5 champions, 1 spot guaranteed for the highest ranked G5 program, and 2 at large bids for the highest ranked programs past that.

The presidents will be happy because of the additional revenue which will be tremendous, the NCAA can do some damage control and public relations by guaranteeing at least one spot for a Cinderella team from the G5, and programs will have flexibility scheduling because SOS will not be as big of an issue with an 8 team playoff. It will also give a decent boost to the sagging bowl schedule expanding the major playoff bowls to 8 instead of 3.

It’s all just my opinion, but it’s an opinion looking at it from a stickily business and public relations standpoint driven by money.
08-07-2014 10:18 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(08-07-2014 10:18 PM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  
(08-07-2014 08:39 PM)First Mate Wrote:  http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footbal...i%2FSNMain

I have a feeling it may work out ok. If nothing else it has been proven and we can all agree that all this realignment was driven by one thing and that was money. Based on that premise once the school presidents and commissioners see how much money is involved in this playoff system I can’t see where it wont be expanded from 4 teams to 8 teams in the very near future. If that’s the case I think the best that we can hope for is 5 spots reserved for the 5 P5 champions, 1 spot guaranteed for the highest ranked G5 program, and 2 at large bids for the highest ranked programs past that.

The presidents will be happy because of the additional revenue which will be tremendous, the NCAA can do some damage control and public relations by guaranteeing at least one spot for a Cinderella team from the G5, and programs will have flexibility scheduling because SOS will not be as big of an issue with an 8 team playoff. It will also give a decent boost to the sagging bowl schedule expanding the major playoff bowls to 8 instead of 3.

It’s all just my opinion, but it’s an opinion looking at it from a stickily business and public relations standpoint driven by money.

I think you are offering pretty sound reasoning. Let's hope it works out that way.

Fire June

08-07-2014 11:49 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(08-07-2014 11:49 PM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  
(08-07-2014 10:18 PM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  

I think you are offering pretty sound reasoning. Let's hope it works out that way.

Fire June

If we can get the point where there is an 8 team playoff where the P5 champs are all AQ and one playoff slot is reserved for the best G5 champ---then I can live with that. At least there is a viable direct guaranteed access to the playoff for a G5 team. Right now there is no route as the selection committee has too much anti-G5 bias to ever allow a G5 school to the 4 team field. In the current environment, the committee must decide if a G5 team is worthy before even considering them. I don't trust the committee with that analysis.

If the top G5 team was AQ---then the question moves from "are they worthy" to "who is the best G5 champ". Given their anti-G5 bias, Im much more comfortable with the committee's ability to handle the latter issue than the former. Bottom line, if we can ever get to a point where the top G5 champ has a slot in the actual playoff---then life in the G5 wouldn't be so terrible (regardless of how much we make in media dollars).
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 12:43 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-08-2014 12:42 AM
Pirate1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePiratesofECU
All this has come about so ESPN and the p5 can expand the playoff without having to include the AAC, MWC. ALL that money is theirs and they don't need us to make it. The day will come when the amount they throw our way gets less and less. Over the next 10 years even the lowliest P5 school will receive $200,000,000.00 more than the top G5 school. Think about that one.
08-08-2014 06:45 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(08-07-2014 09:49 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  Looks to me as if Mike Aresco has given up... I understand the difficulties the AAC had before, but with the Autonomy now in the so called p5 hands, things may have gotten much worse for this league.

Where do you get that from?
08-08-2014 07:21 AM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(08-07-2014 09:49 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  Looks to me as if Mike Aresco has given up...

I think you seriously underestimate the fight in Aresco.
08-08-2014 07:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
"WE ARE DOOMED!!"
08-08-2014 07:56 AM
Mitch Rapp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: T U L A N E
It is pretty simple. At this point you go ahead and add BYU, SDSU and to make you West Coast teams happy you go ahead and make it an even 4 so add Fresno and maybe Boise. You could substitute either of the last two for someone else. Maybe Army or Air Force.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 09:25 AM by Mitch Rapp.)
08-08-2014 09:20 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
This is what the American should do:

East
UConn
Army
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati
Memphis
ECU
Central Florida
South Florida
West
Tulane
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Air Force
BYU
Boise State
Fresno State
San Diego State
07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 10:29 AM by Wilkie01.)
08-08-2014 10:13 AM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
(08-08-2014 10:13 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  This is what the American should do:

West
UConn
Army
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati
Memphis
ECU
Central Florida
South Florida
West
Tulane
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Air Force
BYU
Boise State
Fresno State
San Diego State
07-coffee3

Ok this has got to stop.

1, Army has a different mission and will never ever try to play in a top conference ever. End of discussion on Army.

2, Boise will not be offered a life line while Aresco is in office. Believe it.

3, This conference will only expand to the maximum that money will allow. If they aren't paying for 16, we aren't going to 18. 07-coffee3
08-08-2014 10:22 AM
Advertisement

Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
I like the idea of 2 West divisions.

way to think out of the box Wilkie!
08-08-2014 10:24 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(08-08-2014 10:24 AM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  I like the idea of 2 West divisions.

I have a typo. First West should be East! 03-lmfao03-lmfao
08-08-2014 10:28 AM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
We are only doomed if we buy into the hype. We will continue to fight and while it won't be easy we will make substantial progress despite opposition and the obstacles that have been created.
08-08-2014 10:32 AM
Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
(08-08-2014 10:28 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 10:24 AM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  I like the idea of 2 West divisions.

I have a typo. First West should be East! 03-lmfao03-lmfao

just messing with you. it would show our commitment to BYU Boise et al. 04-cheers
08-08-2014 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.