Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did Spurrier single handedly boost tv ratings..
Pirateoracle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
Did Spurrier single handedly boost tv ratings..
How many more eyeballs will be checking out ECU vs USC game? Just a thought. Might even get some b10 eyeballs out of curiosity..
08-07-2014 05:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Did Spurrier single handedly boost tv ratings..
plus, if ECU should somehow win, he has a built-in excuse now.
08-07-2014 06:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
I'm confused? What did Spurrier do to boost ratings?
08-07-2014 06:39 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(08-07-2014 06:39 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  I'm confused? What did Spurrier do to boost ratings?

said ecu is better than certain big 10 teams, which has been mentioned in almost every news outlet
08-07-2014 06:42 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(08-07-2014 06:39 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  I'm confused? What did Spurrier do to boost ratings?

If this is related to the compliment, zero change.
08-07-2014 06:52 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
While I enjoy his comment and he's 100% right, which is important to reiterate for the PR reasons, is this really anything shocking?

I don't know of anyone who holds Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers, or Iowa in high regard as football programs.

I think most reasonable people would easily agree that ECU, or UCF, or Houston, or Cincy are certainly capable of being considered better than any of those schools. Hell, Rutgers got punched around in the AAC last year and Maryland got torched by friggin' Marshall in their bowl game.

The Big 10 basically has one really great team in OSU, some pretty good teams, and then a host of teams that are downright average or bad.
08-07-2014 07:08 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

To me he was trying to take a shot at the Big 10.
08-07-2014 07:11 AM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
(08-07-2014 07:08 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  The Big 10 basically has one really great team in OSU, some pretty good teams, and then a host of teams that are downright average or bad.

Ohio State - consistently elite every year

Michigan State, Wisconsin - very good right now, but not elite

Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska - formerly elite, they have the resources to get back to prominence one day

Everyone else - average to terrible
08-07-2014 07:39 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

Well this went from a game no one was talking about to one that has been mentioned on pretty much every national media outlet. Spurrier really is a master at this kind of thing.
08-07-2014 07:55 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2014 07:55 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Well this went from a game no one was talking about to one that has been mentioned on pretty much every national media outlet. Spurrier really is a master at this kind of thing.

I've only heard about this here, but I'm not watching much espn in july.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 09:47 AM by KNIGHTTIME.)
08-07-2014 07:57 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(08-07-2014 07:57 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(08-07-2014 07:55 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Well this went from a game no one was talking about to one that has been mentioned on pretty much every national media outlet. Spurrier really is a master at this kind of thing.

I've only heard about this hear, but I'm not watching much espn in july.

Well it also helps that it's a really slow time in sports, but yeah it's been on ESPN, heard it on several national sports talk radio shows, been articles and tweets from national reporters about it, so thanks OBC.
08-07-2014 08:05 AM
Advertisement

NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

I agree, however talking about it is one thing, actually taking time out from a Saturday night in early September to watch is another. The fans who this would have an effect on for the most part would have been following this game already anyway and add in the fact that the game is going head to head against Michigan State vs Oregon on Fox, Michigan vs Notre Dame on NBC, and Virginia Tech vs Ohio State on ESPN if there were an increase in ratings it would be minimal.
08-07-2014 08:17 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
B10 = halfback dive, halfback dive, 3 yard completion to TE, punt ........ repeat.
08-07-2014 08:29 AM
NavyKnight Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
I think he was just pandering to the playoff committee and their "strength of schedule" is a big factor in selection. He doesn't want them to look at ECU and think "oh, a G5, big woop". He's right in his comparison, he just needed to say it out loud so poeple, mostly the playoff committee, will take this game seriously and not as some tune up.
08-07-2014 08:44 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
He also got rung by the typical P5 homer media dolts for pointing out that his QB was the only QB to beat UCF last year.

Even at USC, being outside the "main group of favorites" in the SEC, he sees how the idiot media complex works in CFB and is trying to poke holes in it.
08-07-2014 08:51 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2014 08:44 AM)NavyKnight Wrote:  I think he was just pandering to the playoff committee and their "strength of schedule" is a big factor in selection. He doesn't want them to look at ECU and think "oh, a G5, big woop". He's right in his comparison, he just needed to say it out loud so poeple, mostly the playoff committee, will take this game seriously and not as some tune up.

If the playoff committee is that inept in their jobs, they should all be fired.
08-07-2014 09:00 AM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2014 06:42 AM)pesik Wrote:  

said ecu is better than certain big 10 teams, which has been mentioned in almost every news outlet

Oh, I thought it was something different.

If people remember his comments a month later, maybe. He was just defending his strength of schedule.

Is the game on ESPN?

You guys have played SC in the recent past, what was their a lot of media focus then?
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 09:05 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
08-07-2014 09:04 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2014 09:04 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(08-07-2014 06:42 AM)pesik Wrote:  

Oh, I thought it was something different.

If people remember his comments a month later, maybe. He was just defending his strength of schedule.

Is the game on ESPN?

You guys have played SC in the recent past, what was their a lot of media focus then?

Its ESPN2 or ESPNU. We're going up against San Jose St. vs Auburn for the 7pm timeslot.

I think we get the ESPN2 slot.
08-07-2014 09:14 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

At what point do these comments become normal to us as a fan base. It seems a little silly to be worked up over his comments if we are a "Power" conference.

If we want to be apart of the big boy table, act like you belong.
08-07-2014 09:16 AM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
(08-07-2014 09:16 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  At what point do these comments become normal to us as a fan base. It seems a little silly to be worked up over his comments if we are a "Power" conference.

If we want to be apart of the big boy table, act like you belong.

If we were a Power Conference in their eyes, we wouldn't have Spurrier making such comments. Sitting idle when he makes a positive statement about us is like the little boy who is scared while his big brother defends him. Want proof the little brother is tough?...he'll man up a let you know it verbally...and hopefully physically when the time comes. There are situations where we need to act like we belong by keeping our mouths shut. In this case, the opposite is true. That is acting like you belong. Not biting your lip.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 09:37 AM by apex_pirate.)
08-07-2014 09:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.