Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jury Sides With Man Who Fired At Cops After They Forcibly Entered Wrong Home
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
[Image: 2n8zxfm.jpg]

The jury got it right.

Quote: After battling authorities for more than a year, a Portsmouth, Virginia, man was handed a verdict of not guilty by a jury who determined that he did not, in fact, act recklessly when he fired a warning shot at officers who attempted to make forcible entry into his home, only to later discover that they had gone to the wrong house.

The incident, which happened last January, unfolded while Brandon Watson and his wife were watching late-night TV and heard noises coming from the back yard.

“She said, ‘Oh my gosh, someone is in the backyard,’” Watson told reporters. “The noises got closer and then she heard the clicking of the backdoor handle.”

At that point Watson ran to grab his gun, which was legally owned.

“We ran upstairs very quickly,” Watson recalled. “She saw guys in all black.”

Watson didn’t immediately call 911 because he couldn’t find his cell phone. However, he wasn’t about to let anyone come into his home and possibly harm his family either. So he ran back downstairs, gun in hand.

Watson called out into the darkness, saying, “Who is that? I have a gun.”

He received no response, but instead then saw a red laser aimed at his chest.

At the point, still not knowing who was trying to get into his home, Watson fired a warning shot through the window and ran across the street to seek help from his neighbor, a Virginia State Trooper.

Then things became even more confusing for Watson. As he ran out of his house he was confronted by authorities who told him to drop his weapon. He complied.

“They said, ‘We just got news you shot at an officer.’ I said, ‘An officer? Nobody came to my door. What do you mean an officer? I didn’t know there were any officers in my backyard,’” he said.

According to Watson, the cops never announced who they were or why they were there. And the officers, responding to a call from Watson’s neighbor about a possible break-in, had apparently gone to the wrong house.

“When they went around from the front, they started counting 2, 3, 4. They were counting the number of townhouse units from the end, where Patricia Brooks lived. Then they see a gate that is open, and that raises suspicion that must be the house,” explained Portsmouth Commonwealth’s attorney Earle Mobley.

Nonetheless, Mobley still prosecuted Watson with reckless handling of a firearm.

“You cannot fire indiscriminately through the window,” Mobley said.

The judge found Watson guilty, but the matter was far from resolved. Watson appealed the decision and a mistrial was declared by the second judge. Watson then requested a jury trial.

“This can’t be doing your job. You come in my backyard, try to open my door, open my window and flash red laser beams on my chest because you thought I was the burglar, and I thought you were the burglar,” Watson said.

And apparently the jury, who deliberated for a total of 47 minutes, agreed.

In fact, the jury felt Watson actually showed restraint by only firing a single warning shot.

http://www.guns.com/2014/08/02/jury-side...ome-video/
08-04-2014 01:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Jury Sides With Man Who Fired At Cops After They Forcibly Entered Wrong Home
Good for him, there really needs to be a new set of laws that gives civilians greater protection during no-knock police raids.
08-04-2014 01:34 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Jury Sides With Man Who Fired At Cops After They Forcibly Entered Wrong Home
No Knock police raids should not be allowed.
08-04-2014 01:57 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
This guy never should have been prosecuted. In fact, cops have done far worse with nothing happening to them.
08-04-2014 02:30 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I agree. Cops frequently overstep their bounds. I'm always telling my students how to defy the cops.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-04-2014 02:40 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(08-04-2014 02:40 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I'm always telling my students how to defy the cops.

[Image: full?d=1400710854]
08-04-2014 03:17 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I knew you were a star trek fan.

08-04-2014 04:34 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Good for him.
08-04-2014 04:36 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
They were lucky the guy didnt follow the advice of Joe Biden. They would have had buckshot flying at them.

If you are so pumped up on a raid that you can screw up and get an address wrong, dont go on the raid.
08-04-2014 06:40 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I'm just surprised that they didn't unleash hell on that house after he shot through the window. Wouldn't be the first time.......

The couple is lucky to have survived this. Thanks to a jury for seeing things clearly.
08-04-2014 07:51 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
I hope sues the local government and police officials. !!

08-04-2014 08:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.