ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This article in the Pilot about ODU is important.
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
We should vote and mabey write something.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/08/civic-le...-odu-study
08-04-2014 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

odufansam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: This article in the Pilot about ODU is important.
I was approached by a misinformed couple that was pushing this. They were walking the Larchmont neighborhood with fliers. Their angle is that Foreman Field is historic and shouldn't be torn down. Their proposed solution was to tear down buildings that are just as old to make room for stadium expansion. They also did not want to accept the fact that Foreman Field cannot support expansion due to structural limitations.
08-04-2014 11:03 AM
MONARCHSWIN Offline
1st String

This call for a study is just a delay tactic by those who don't want any of this to happen. They don't want a new stadium.

The comment "Residents, including Bill Ballard, said at a meeting last week that the dorms would be located in a section of Larchmont that doesn't have on-campus student housing. Students would overrun nearby Bluestone Park, he and others warned." is just BS. That whole section of "Larchmont" across from the stadium is mostly student housing now!

"Students would overrun Bluestone Park..." oh my! Say it ain't so!
03-phew
08-04-2014 11:03 AM
TedHead Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
I would think they would be more concerned with the possibility of being under water one day when the right storm hits.
08-04-2014 11:05 AM
Advertisement

paintedblue Offline
All American

I will say the same thing to those people as the ones who complain about jet noise in their neighborhood. You should have considered the possible ramifications.of.moving.near a.university.before purchasing.your.property. If they purchased their home since 1930 they knew a university is in the neighborhood. Granted it has grown tremendously since 1930, however I'm sure most there have not owned their homes nearly that long.
08-04-2014 12:07 PM
First time Long time Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-04-2014 11:05 AM)TedHead Wrote:  I would think they would be more concerned with the possibility of being under water one day when the right storm hits.

This.
08-04-2014 12:45 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

Or Crime around campus
08-04-2014 12:48 PM
Advertisement

TedHead Offline
1st String

(08-04-2014 12:07 PM)paintedblue Wrote:  I will say the same thing to those people as the ones who complain about jet noise in their neighborhood. You should have considered the possible ramifications.of.moving.near a.university.before purchasing.your.property. If they purchased their home since 1930 they knew a university is in the neighborhood. Granted it has grown tremendously since 1930, however I'm sure most there have not owned their homes nearly that long.

Absolutely,
Talking to friends down in East Carolina, their neighborhood sits on the campus or right next to it, I saw most of the homes had parties in their yards and the looked as if it was no trouble at all. They said it did not hurt the value of their home, if any it increased.
I thought a Greek row was coming.
08-04-2014 02:48 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

All things must end. The Foreman land will be re-purposed. LECL will go back to fussing about whatever it is that they fuss about.
08-04-2014 02:51 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2014 02:48 PM)TedHead Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 12:07 PM)paintedblue Wrote:  I will say the same thing to those people as the ones who complain about jet noise in their neighborhood. You should have considered the possible ramifications.of.moving.near a.university.before purchasing.your.property. If they purchased their home since 1930 they knew a university is in the neighborhood. Granted it has grown tremendously since 1930, however I'm sure most there have not owned their homes nearly that long.

Absolutely,
Talking to friends down in East Carolina, their neighborhood sits on the campus or right next to it, I saw most of the homes had parties in their yards and the looked as if it was no trouble at all. They said it did not hurt the value of their home, if any it increased.
I thought a Greek row was coming.

I've been thinking a greek row would be something the frats could purchase themselves since the school cant buy land anymore. Have the frats purchase land for their houses in the hood near the District. Build a frat row privately and use it as a buffer between the no-mans land and campus. Cant see too many gangstas wanting to mug people in the middle of an area where a couple hundred young men live.
08-04-2014 03:35 PM
Advertisement

ODUfootball13 Offline
Water Engineer

Quote:
I've been thinking a greek row would be something the frats could purchase themselves since the school cant buy land anymore. Have the frats purchase land for their houses in the hood near the District. Build a frat row privately and use it as a buffer between the no-mans land and campus. Cant see too many gangstas wanting to mug people in the middle of an area where a couple hundred young men live.

Well I'm pretty sure most Fraternity chapters at ODU don't have enough money saved up to simply "buy their own Fraternity house". I know the one I was in didn't. And honestly "gangstas" have come to big fraternity parties before and have fired shots,showed their guns, or taken stuff so I don't think having a greek row would really scare them off. Would be nice though
08-05-2014 08:23 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Wasnt in a fraternity, so I guess I figured the national chapters would help pay for the house. I know Sigma Nu sold their place a while ago and was rumored to be saving the money to build a place on the then-planned ODU Frat row. Hate to hear the badguys are brazen enough to walk into a greek party and start trouble. The lack of police presence around there is baffling.
08-05-2014 11:10 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-05-2014 11:10 PM)monarx Wrote:  Wasnt in a fraternity, so I guess I figured the national chapters would help pay for the house. I know Sigma Nu sold their place a while ago and was rumored to be saving the money to build a place on the then-planned ODU Frat row. Hate to hear the badguys are brazen enough to walk into a greek party and start trouble. The lack of police presence around there is baffling.

Most fraternity's will fundraise through their alumni to help defray the total cost of financing. They will then take a loan for the remainder. Nationals is little help in this endeavor. The fraternity I was a member of at UT did this in 2012 for upgrades to their house. Total upgrades were near $2million. Raised $500k. The remainder is financed. Which was all well and good until they had their charter pulled in 2013 for 4 years.
08-06-2014 06:46 AM
Big Blue Crazy Offline
Special Teams

The admin at ODU has stop Fraternity row many times.
They do not want it to happen.
This has been going on for decades!
There have been many different versions of plans that include the Row in the past. They all seem to be changed. The latest was the Village plans. FR was dropped right before final approval of plans.

Most of the National Chapters have Housing boards and would be loaned the money- as long as in they are in good standing with " National" leadership.
A few- such as Sigma Nu, ATO and Lamda Chi should have some money in the bank from the sales of their official off campus house they all had in the 80s and 90s.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-08-2014 11:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.