Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Myerberg: #39
Bookmark and Share
BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca.../13547441/

Sadly, there's no way Northern Illinois can replace this quarterback – no, not this one, the best quarterback to ever come through campus, the irreplaceable star behind the program's rise.

Not when he set 30 school records for passing, rushing and total offense. Not when he compiled a hair shy of 12,000 yards from scrimmage, the equivalent of about seven miles; not when he lifted the Huskies to the finest season in program history, and not when dozens of teams tried and failed – often failing miserably – to corral his dual-threat otherworldliness.

Yeah, Chandler Harnish was impossible to replace. Until, you know, he was replaced, and the rest is history.
08-04-2014 09:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

RE: Myerberg: #39
Quote:The belief is that this is foolproof, a friendly system designed to make the most of the quarterback's ability to move the ball in and out of the passing game, and that the beat will go on despite the changing cast.

It's only fair to have some faith in the system. The Huskies went from Harnish to Lynch and improved, amazingly enough; while future improvement seems mathematically improbable, the Huskies can tout an asset unshared by the vast majority of the Football Bowl Subdivision: NIU has a can't-fail offensive mentality.
08-04-2014 09:05 AM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
Quote:SEASON BREAKDOWN & PREDICTION:

In a nutshell: Northern Illinois is not going to give away the West Division. This is the Huskies' house, you see, and these Huskies – the program we've seen grow before our very eyes since 2010 – won't go down without a fight, with or without the star quarterback the meat and bones of last year's defense. Ball State and Toledo are two good, strong, capable teams; neither has what it takes to stop NIU from reaching another MAC title game and competing for another season with double-digit wins. Allow the situation at quarterback speak for the entire program: NIU has become bigger than any one individual player – the system in place, on the field and off, virtually ensures no significant decline from one season to the next.

USATODAY
2014 College Football TV Schedule
I'm not that worried about the Huskies' situation at quarterback – I mean, I understand the difficulty inherent to replacing a legend, but the offense is so quarterback-friendly as to guarantee the new starter challenges for all-conference accolades. As a whole, the offense will rival Bowling Green for the MAC's best. What worries me more than the quarterback spot – and much, much more, to be honest – is this defense. There are significant problems, in my mind: NIU is fine at end but questionable in reserve, so keeping Meehan and Ford healthy is a priority; the interior of the line is a mess, not to mention undersized; the second level is great in space but must be kept clean by the front four; and the secondary is clearly going to struggle without Ward patrolling every quadrant of the deep middle. Add an average kicking game into the mix and you have some issues to address.

So this isn't a 12-win team, I'd say. Instead, look for NIU to have some early issues, likely dropping two games in September, before finding a groove and some momentum heading into MAC play. With no Bowling Green on the regular-season slate, I see no reason why this team can't again go undefeated from October through November and earn yet another spot in the conference championship game. This is life: NIU is built to last, built to survive a hiccup and built to run roughshod over the overwhelming majority of the MAC – and that's not changing in 2014. The Huskies are not quite as good as the program's recent versions, but this team is again one of the best in the conference – if not the best, period, to little surprise.

Dream season: NIU goes 11-1 in the regular season before topping Bowling Green in the MAC title game.

Nightmare season: The Huskies slide to 7-5, third in the West Division.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 09:07 AM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
08-04-2014 09:05 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

He's right on about how QB friendly NIU is. Also right on about real concerns on D.
08-04-2014 09:13 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(08-04-2014 09:13 AM)7 Wrote:  He's right on about how QB friendly NIU is. Also right on about real concerns on D.

He usually has a good grasp of things and has been pretty spot on. Nice to see a nightmare season is still over .500 and going bowling. Means your program is where it needs to be.

As for the offense being qb friendly and foolproof he's again spot on. Carey even mentioned in a presser that they are going to do what the qb can do and avoid anything he can't. That's genius and obviously seems like duh but many teams don't do it.

At worst this offense is going to hand it off to two guys that will eclipse 2,000 yards combined and run a **** ton of jet sweeps and bubble screens and out athlete the entire MAC.
08-04-2014 09:33 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(08-04-2014 09:33 AM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 09:13 AM)7 Wrote:  He's right on about how QB friendly NIU is. Also right on about real concerns on D.

He usually has a good grasp of things and has been pretty spot on. Nice to see a nightmare season is still over .500 and going bowling. Means your program is where it needs to be.

As for the offense being qb friendly and foolproof he's again spot on. Carey even mentioned in a presser that they are going to do what the qb can do and avoid anything he can't. That's genius and obviously seems like duh but many teams don't do it.

At worst this offense is going to hand it off to two guys that will eclipse 2,000 yards combined and run a **** ton of jet sweeps and bubble screens and out athlete the entire MAC.
Which is exactly what they've been doing since Doeren got here. Lynch was a freak athlete and tough as nails, but it's not like he was Peyton Manning. Get a mobile guy who doesn't turn the ball over and the offense won't miss a beat.

The biggest question about the QB will be if he can stay healthy.
08-04-2014 09:36 AM
Advertisement

chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
This says it all:

[/b]"Allow the situation at quarterback speak for the entire program: NIU has become bigger than any one individual player – the system in place, on the field and off, virtually ensures no significant decline from one season to the next."[b]

Years ago I tried to argue/ explain how we have to make this true. I hope we have. I am not sure yet. I think we are on the cusp of making this true, but I think we still need to work hard at making it true. Point: WE are the program. Without WE (fans, supporters, donors) there is no program. Players come and go. Programs live on. I.E., "Tradition doesn't graduate."
08-04-2014 09:43 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Two years ago, we didn't know how good Lynch would be. He had a whole new offensive line. The new QB has a veteran offensive line plus more than capable backups. There is depth at running back. Barring injury, plenty of skill at WR. The next QB does not have to be superman.
08-04-2014 10:03 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

(08-04-2014 10:03 AM)klake87 Wrote:  Two years ago, we didn't know how good Lynch would be. He had a whole new offensive line. The new QB has a veteran offensive line plus more than capable backups. There is depth at running back. Barring injury, plenty of skill at WR. The next QB does not have to be superman.

I thought Lynch was going to be terrible, had no faith he could make the throws necessary....shows what I know! His legs opened the top for many of this big completions and the speed of TLL and Brown can turn a buble screen into a 65 yard TD reception...
08-04-2014 10:13 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Myerberg is simply the best college football analyst out there. Having said that, his preview does not offer much comfort. If you were to not read the number, you would not have said you just read the 39th ranked team. Obviously his concerns are valid, but to hear Paul say "I'm worried" is something that makes me quiver. He basically has NIU ranked 39th because of the track record NIU has put up recently, which in my opinion NIU does deserve the benefit of the doubt.
08-04-2014 10:54 AM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
It looks like he's missing the additions of Lemon and Dunbar. Aside from that, very thorough.
08-04-2014 10:57 AM
Advertisement

HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
(08-04-2014 10:54 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Myerberg is simply the best college football analyst out there. Having said that, his preview does not offer much comfort. If you were to not read the number, you would not have said you just read the 39th ranked team. Obviously his concerns are valid, but to hear Paul say "I'm worried" is something that makes me quiver. He basically has NIU ranked 39th because of the track record NIU has put up recently, which in my opinion NIU does deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Here is the only worried quote.

Quote:I'm worried about the secondary, and about the group's ability to force turnovers in particular – Ward's leading specialty, among his many qualities. Again, there is one positive to consider: Meehan and Ford could put together the sort of pass rush needed to offset any decline from the secondary.
08-04-2014 10:58 AM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(08-04-2014 10:54 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Myerberg is simply the best college football analyst out there. Having said that, his preview does not offer much comfort. If you were to not read the number, you would not have said you just read the 39th ranked team. Obviously his concerns are valid, but to hear Paul say "I'm worried" is something that makes me quiver. He basically has NIU ranked 39th because of the track record NIU has put up recently, which in my opinion NIU does deserve the benefit of the doubt.

The hell are you talking about?

Quote:...the Huskies can tout an asset unshared by the vast majority of the Football Bowl Subdivision: NIU has a can't-fail offensive mentality.

Quote:In total, no team in the MAC can match what NIU brings to the table at the skill positions.

Quote:Toledo's line is great; NIU's should be better.

Quote:Northern Illinois is not going to give away the West Division.
08-04-2014 11:15 AM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
"This is life: NIU is built to last, built to survive a hiccup and built to run roughshod over the overwhelming majority of the MAC – and that's not changing in 2014. The Huskies are not quite as good as the program's recent versions, but this team is again one of the best in the conference – if not the best, period, to little surprise." 04-rock
08-04-2014 01:05 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, UT
Good ranking for a team that doesn't know their starting quarterback and has huge holes to fill on the D.

I think our biggest problem is on D, and specifically the D Line... Bishop made our LBs look good, because he took up O linemen.. Because none of our LBs can shed blocks, like Schiller could.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 01:39 PM by cartershaw.)
08-04-2014 01:36 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(08-04-2014 01:36 PM)cartershaw Wrote:  Good ranking for a team that doesn't know their starting quarterback and has huge holes to fill on the D.

You can say the same thing about a lot of large conference teams every year.
08-04-2014 01:40 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(08-04-2014 01:36 PM)cartershaw Wrote:  Good ranking for a team that doesn't know their starting quarterback and has huge holes to fill on the D.

I think our biggest problem is on D, and specifically the D Line... Bishop made our LBs look good, because he took up O linemen.. Because none of our LBs can shed blocks, like Schiller could.

oh god hahahaaha
08-04-2014 01:41 PM
Skinut Offline
1st String

That's really showin' some love!

Very complete analysis.

Thanks for the link.
08-04-2014 01:58 PM
JCCNIU31 Offline
1st String

(08-04-2014 10:57 AM)Max Power Wrote:  It looks like he's missing the additions of Lemon and Dunbar. Aside from that, very thorough.

We don't even know if Dunbar will play at this point so can't fault him for missing him.
08-04-2014 04:10 PM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

(08-04-2014 04:10 PM)JCCNIU31 Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 10:57 AM)Max Power Wrote:  It looks like he's missing the additions of Lemon and Dunbar. Aside from that, very thorough.

We don't even know if Dunbar will play at this point so can't fault him for missing him.

...What are you talking about? Dunbar is on the roster and CAN play.
08-04-2014 04:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.