Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EKU receives seed funding for FB stadium renovation project...
Bookmark and Share
alpha_eagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
EKU receives seed funding for FB stadium renovation project...
Looks like support ($$$) for prepping EKU for a potential move up to FBS continues to grow. As an EKU grad, and having attended during their football championship era, I'm glad that they've put the pieces in place to take their game to the next level. Like Georgia Southern they may have missed their initial 'window' to move up and be successful after their consecutive NC games from '79 to '82, but perhaps its better late than never. Would like to see them in the SBC in two years...they'd make a good addition and travel partners for App State, GSU, GS, and stAte.

http://www.eku.edu/news/lead-gift-dizney...e-facility
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 07:28 AM by alpha_eagle.)
08-04-2014 07:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: EKU receives seed funding for FB stadium renovation project...
Meanwhile the EKU coach is being quoted in the Miami Herald as saying FCS is a dinosaur. Credit to EKU's administration for going out and doing something about it. Clearly they're serious about landing the last opening in the Sun Belt.
08-04-2014 11:14 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
A visionary administration can do wonders. Good luck
08-04-2014 11:15 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-04-2014 11:14 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Meanwhile the EKU coach is being quoted in the Miami Herald as saying FCS is a dinosaur. Credit to EKU's administration for going out and doing something about it. Clearly they're serious about landing the last opening in the Sun Belt.

They've had renewed hope ever since we pretty much ignored Liberty and UMass. EKU's best hope is to look for an addition a couple years down the road from now when the SBC has to renew its deals with Idaho and NMSU.
08-04-2014 11:23 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
If they keep the FB renovations moving and stay good in basketball, they'll probably get in.
08-04-2014 11:50 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Have always thought highly of the EKU football and basketball program.
They could be pretty strong competitors in FBS.

[Image: Wallpaper25_zpsfad57447.jpg~original]
08-04-2014 12:01 PM
Advertisement

moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
give them credit, the JMU administration blew it, Missouri St probably will not be ready for atleast 3 or 4 years, no one wants Liberty, even though they are in great shape financially. EKU sees their opportunity, and it looks like their going for it, good for them, I say give them a serious look in a year or two.
08-04-2014 12:11 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
(08-04-2014 12:01 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Have always thought highly of the EKU football and basketball program.

looking at your map, it would be a great fit and to let Idaho go. Bring in NMSU all sports too. Good boost to b-ball. Nice conference footprint. and hopefully the CCG rule is changed to allow conferences to have one (if wanted) without 12 members. They might not be an instant replacement for WKU (or some others that left), but they have some history and currently the will to make it happen.

Good luck EKU. 04-cheers
08-04-2014 12:16 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(08-04-2014 12:16 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 12:01 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Have always thought highly of the EKU football and basketball program.

looking at your map, it would be a great fit and to let Idaho go. Bring in NMSU all sports too. Good boost to b-ball. Nice conference footprint. and hopefully the CCG rule is changed to allow conferences to have one (if wanted) without 12 members. They might not be an instant replacement for WKU (or some others that left), but they have some history and currently the will to make it happen.

Good luck EKU. 04-cheers

+1
08-04-2014 12:22 PM
GoApps70 Offline

Just do not want a basketball first school. If they are truly eat up
with football glad for them to have a great basketball program and
would welcome it.
08-04-2014 12:30 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(08-04-2014 12:30 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Just do not want a basketball first school.

^this^
08-04-2014 12:44 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
It should be very clear the Sun Belt leaders at this point are willing to wait a couple of years or so. To me that was made clear this past winter/spring when no one was added. It is obvious Liberty does not have the votes and neither does a schoole like Jacksonville St. JMU was the first choice for the 12th spot but when they foolishly said no then I see no reason why in a couple of years if EKU makes some facility improvements that they would not get serious consideration.
08-04-2014 01:59 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

(08-04-2014 12:44 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 12:30 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Just do not want a basketball first school.

^this^

They had decent football and could see them becoming a solid program. I don't know which sport will be top at EKU, but I don't think they will treat football like a son of a motherless goat. IF they put the money and effort into staff, recruits, and facilities then they need a serious look. They fit the footprint and similar school type to the rest of the SBC.
JMU had their chance. Have fun in the CAA. MoSt is still on the table and EKU is looking like serious contender.

Drop Idaho (I don't even care if they become the next BSU). Bring in NMSU all sports and add MoSt and EKU all sports 12 football/14 olympic. Championship game at the team with best record (higher attendance used as tie breaker if conference records are equal or use whatever poll/ranking system).

Done. Solid conference with great schools in mostly football and enough basketball teams to make it interesting.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 02:10 PM by trueeagle98.)
08-04-2014 02:08 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-04-2014 02:08 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  

^this^

They had decent football and could see them becoming a solid program. I don't know which sport will be top at EKU, but I don't think they will treat football like a son of a motherless goat. IF they put the money and effort into staff, recruits, and facilities then they need a serious look. They fit the footprint and similar school type to the rest of the SBC.
JMU had their chance. Have fun in the CAA. MoSt is still on the table and EKU is looking like serious contender.

Drop Idaho (I don't even care if they become the next BSU). Bring in NMSU all sports and add MoSt and EKU all sports 12 football/14 olympic. Championship game at the team with best record (higher attendance used as tie breaker if conference records are equal or use whatever poll/ranking system).

Done. Solid conference with great schools in mostly football and enough basketball teams to make it interesting.

League may renew or terminate Idaho's deal at the end of the 2015 season (Two years notice requires mean 2017 departure.) If Both Missouri State and EKU were ready by that time, we'll terminate Idaho's membership. If only one is, or none are, we'll renew Idaho. Its pretty simple.
08-04-2014 02:19 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
If Idaho is "renewed" would that be for 2 more years (til 2019) or 4 years (til 2021)?
08-04-2014 02:21 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

(08-04-2014 02:19 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 02:08 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  

^this^

League may renew or terminate Idaho's deal at the end of the 2015 season (Two years notice requires mean 2017 departure.) If Both Missouri State and EKU were ready by that time, we'll terminate Idaho's membership. If only one is, or none are, we'll renew Idaho. Its pretty simple.

I have a feeling if MoSt and EKU aren't ready to start the 2 transition in 2 years then I doubt they ever will make the move. The new payout structure, the increase emphasis on playing FBS over FCS teams, and likely stipends for athletes and more is going to force the schools debating the move to get off the pot or stay seated. We'll see how these facility improvements look in 1-2 years. GSU started expansion during the 1st year of transition. The new student fees are covering much of the move up. I can see EKU doing the same.
I don't know much about MoSt. I get the feeling they can make the move, the just need the will to do so.
08-04-2014 02:29 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(08-04-2014 02:21 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  If Idaho is "renewed" would that be for 2 more years (til 2019) or 4 years (til 2021)?

Not sure. My guess is it would be two years to 2019, subject to renewal again in 2017. Essentially, they'll always be up for renewal every two years, with the right to cancel with two years notice should we wish to end the agreement.
08-04-2014 02:48 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I still believe Idaho will be in the SBC for several years yet.
08-04-2014 02:51 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

yep 4 years.
08-04-2014 02:51 PM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
Good Luck EKU! I would not be sad at all if EKY and Missouri St were the next two additions.

Hope to beat ya soon 03-wink
08-04-2014 03:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.