Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sporting News Article About BG Helping Out UT With Water
Bookmark and Share
RocketBBallFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Sporting News Article About BG Helping Out UT With Water
Some things are more important than football. The article below talks about how BG provided UT with water during this crisis in Toledo.

Toledo athletics welcomed behind enemy lines for drinking water

Toledo, Ohio, as you may have heard, is having some problems with its tap water.

As in, you can't drink it, prepare food with it or brush your teeth with it. You can't boil it, either. That will only "increase the concentration of the toxins," according to the city's urgent notice for residents.

This news was a problem for Brian Jones, the University of Toledo's director of sports medicine. Among his responsibilities are ensuring that the school's athletes have water to drink, and with fall camps starting Sunday, his group didn't have a ton of options.

"The biggest thing is I don't want to take 25 cases of bottled water from Kroger," Jones said. "Our community needs that right now."

23 miles to the south, sworn rival Bowling Green State University was happily drinking its algae-bloom-free H2O. In many instances, they weren't shy about shoving it in their enemy's faces, either.

BGSU's director of sports medicine Alfred Castillo knew this was no joke for his colleagues up I-75. So when Jones called to ask if the Falcons could help load the Rockets up on drinking water, Castillo's response was a "no-brainer."

"We said 'come on down,'" he said. "I know that it's a tense rivalry, but in my area, we try to take care of the other team as best as possible. Rivalry aside, they needed something. They'd do the same for us."

Jones' team made the 20-minute trip to BGSU's campus in a large van stripped of seats and packed with enough empty water jugs to quench a university-sized thirst.

The rival Falcons were waiting with hoses and smiles, according to Jones. The Rockets filled up with "probably 500 gallons of water" early in the morning before heading back north.

"There probably are some rivalries out there that would not do that," said Jones, who's entering his 18th year at Toledo. "If that's the case, in my world, that's a damn shame."

"People are all, 'I hate BG,' and 'I hate Toledo,'" he continued. "I'm used to it by now. My issue is this — when it comes down to it, we need to protect the health and safety of these athletes."

Castillo and the Falcons have offered to furnish the program with water as long as necessary, but with the water in Toledo reportedly improving, they may return to their smack-talking ways sooner than expected.

"We take care of each other," Jones said. "But yeah, when the ball goes up in the air in November, I want to whoop them."
08-03-2014 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Sporting News Article About BG Helping Out UT With Water
Very nice. Hopefully we can pay them back. Maybe our law faculty can provide some free legal aid or something.
08-03-2014 06:11 PM
UTCHARGER73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TOLEDO
Any one in sports med world would expect nothing less but it's nice to hear a feel good story between rivals. Not sure big 10 schools would do the same! http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml
08-03-2014 06:18 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Great story and I like Jeff's idea.
08-03-2014 06:24 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-03-2014 06:11 PM)RocketJeff Wrote:  Very nice. Hopefully we can pay them back. Maybe our law faculty can provide some free legal aid or something.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
08-03-2014 07:02 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Not sure why they had to go to BG since UT is offering free water to the public from a well on the Scott Park campus. 03-banghead
08-03-2014 07:46 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
Nice gesture from our friends down in Wood County...
08-03-2014 07:57 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
We have algea-bloom free H2O right here on the Launch Pad.
08-03-2014 08:30 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-03-2014 08:30 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  We have algea-bloom free H2O right here on the Launch Pad.

And here I always thought you were a funguy.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 09:04 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
08-03-2014 08:57 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-03-2014 06:11 PM)RocketJeff Wrote:  Very nice. Hopefully we can pay them back. Maybe our law faculty can provide some free legal aid or something.

Or maybe the team can return the water when they're done with it.

Good one, Jeff!
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 09:04 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
08-03-2014 08:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.