Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN and ACC Network Talks "encouraging"
GTTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GT and Clemson

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-expansion

"Deepening the conference network intrigue is the ACC, which is eyeing its own 24-hour network starting in 2017.

ESPN has to reciprocate that eagerness, but a source with direct knowledge of the process said talks between the sides have been encouraging.

No doubt the SEC's early distribution returns would help the ACC immensely."

Odd to me, that are still people out there that think the ACC won't have a network. It will happen and it will be 2016 or 2017.
08-03-2014 12:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
It's mostly the inbred, tin foil hat wearing types that hang out on the WVU board that swear by all things holy that the acc will never have a network and implode after 10 or 12 member schools challenge the GOR (that they willingly signed) in court.

Clay Travis, while not a WVU guy, can be included in that merry band of morons.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 08:45 AM by ren.hoek.)
08-03-2014 08:44 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: ESPN and ACC Network Talks "encouraging"
With Sinclair stepping into and wanting sports distribution, it will be interesting how all this evolves for CUSA, which has its tv contract coming up in two years.

It is obvious the way these conference dedicated networks are coming on board, and this might open up new platforms for the NonBCS conferences. The best example being, of course, Sinclair which is taking Raycom's place if you will...but on an expanded scale as witnessed by the recent Sinclair/CUSA agreement.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 08:56 AM by Tallgrass.)
08-03-2014 08:53 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Maybe someone from Florida State who was in one of those meetings with Swofford where he was saying he was going to get his schools big money, SEC-like money, will come out and confirm that there was always a timeline in place, down the line and not immediate, concerning the terms of the media contract that broiled them to begin with.

I don't think the ACC is doomed regardless of how long this network takes, but I do think you had an academically-minded and ACC apologist of a now former president doing all in his power to keep his Seminoles out of the Big XII and SEC, and succeed in convincing a bunch of people it was worthwhile for the school to decline more money and stay the course.

It's fine and it is what it is...but the gap between revenue coming into Gainesville and Tallahassee will only widen, and it's not one I think FSU can truly close in its present course.

All I know is...it's not Barron's problem anymore. He's back at a school that will never have to worry about this for years to come, and where his stakeholders won't need to be wooed by a commissioner and fancy PowerPoint presentations, graphs, and charts.
08-03-2014 09:04 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Re: ESPN and ACC Network Talks "encouraging"
The $ between the ACC & the Big 12 aren't that great. Plus everyone has to take a back seat to Texas. IMO Florida St is better off in the ACC than the Big 12.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
08-03-2014 09:16 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Re: RE: ESPN and ACC Network Talks "encouraging"
(08-03-2014 09:16 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  The $ between the ACC & the Big 12 aren't that great. Plus everyone has to take a back seat to Texas. IMO Florida St is better off in the ACC than the Big 12.

FSU is better off in the ACC because they really do care more about playing for the national title than maximizing dollars, and the ACC of today is like the ACC of the 90s - it offers any good FSU team smooth sailing to. Top-4 ranking.

I mean, does anyone think there's any chance at all FSU misses the playoffs this year? The ACC offers no obstacles, just like last year.

08-03-2014 10:25 AM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Re: RE: ESPN and ACC Network Talks "encouraging"
(08-03-2014 10:25 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 09:16 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  The $ between the ACC & the Big 12 aren't that great. Plus everyone has to take a back seat to Texas. IMO Florida St is better off in the ACC than the Big 12.

FSU is better off in the ACC because they really do care more about playing for the national title than maximizing dollars, and the ACC of today is like the ACC of the 90s - it offers any good FSU team smooth sailing to. Top-4 ranking.

I mean, does anyone think there's any chance at all FSU misses the playoffs this year? The ACC offers no obstacles, just like last year.

FSU is the favorite but there are obstacles.

08-03-2014 11:25 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
First time I have ever seen a timeline for an Acc network to launch. 2017.
08-03-2014 04:15 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
ive always heard 2016 or 17 on the other cuse board
08-03-2014 04:29 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
makes sense too since you don't really want to get the pushback from cable companies if your espn after just launching sec network so a few years later while our digital is second to none
08-03-2014 04:31 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(08-03-2014 08:53 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  With Sinclair stepping into and wanting sports distribution, it will be interesting how all this evolves for CUSA, which has its tv contract coming up in two years.

It is obvious the way these conference dedicated networks are coming on board, and this might open up new platforms for the NonBCS conferences. The best example being, of course, Sinclair which is taking Raycom's place if you will...but on an expanded scale as witnessed by the recent Sinclair/CUSA agreement.

I'd like to see Sinclair not just syndicate during game time, but to create an actual 24/7 dedicated channel on OTA. If ME-TV, Bounce, etc can get good enough ratings showing old movies and shows, then Sinclair creating a dedicated new sub-channel to be the free "ESPN" of antenna TV would be a home run I think. There would be plenty of content to fill up the time slots with G5, FCS College Conferences of all sports and then minor league baseball, minor league hockey, indoor football etc. create a studio show of highlights and there you go....

08-03-2014 08:07 PM
Advertisement

Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
Stupid question time: What is Sinclair?
08-03-2014 08:10 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-03-2014 08:10 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  Stupid question time: What is Sinclair?

A poor man's national network of OTA channels (some major Networks (ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS) and other digital sub tier channels like WB/Bounce/etc...
08-03-2014 08:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(08-03-2014 08:13 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 08:10 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  Stupid question time: What is Sinclair?

A poor man's national network of OTA channels (some major Networks (ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS) and other digital sub tier channels like WB/Bounce/etc...

I would compare Sinclair to what Raycom was 30 years ago.
08-03-2014 08:55 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-03-2014 08:55 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

Except that 30 years ago, Raycom was syndicating sports to OTA channels in an era before everyone had cable, and way before everyone had 100 channels on their set like they do now. Then, Raycom was placing sports on the 6th or 7th most-watched channel in the typical TV home, because there were often only 6 or 7 channels available. Today, those lesser OTA channels are lucky if they are the 66th or 77th most-watched channel in any given TV home that has cable or satellite.
08-03-2014 10:12 PM
All American

(08-03-2014 10:12 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Except that 30 years ago, Raycom was syndicating sports to OTA channels in an era before everyone had cable, and way before everyone had 100 channels on their set like they do now. Then, Raycom was placing sports on the 6th or 7th most-watched channel in the typical TV home, because there were often only 6 or 7 channels available. Today, those lesser OTA channels are lucky if they are the 66th or 77th most-watched channel in any given TV home that has cable or satellite.

For the 65 million people who have no cable because they have recently cut it or never get it, those OTA channels are still in the Top 6 or 7.

The new generation of kids are graduating college and used to using NetFlix and the majority will never get cable. Thats what the research shows. The middle aged families are cutting cable. Only the 50-70 year old demographic is hunkered down with cable.
08-03-2014 10:39 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-03-2014 10:39 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

For the 65 million people who have no cable because they have recently cut it or never get it, those OTA channels are still in the Top 6 or 7.

Not that many households with TV but no cable. Nielsen said in 2012 there were 114.7 million U.S. households with TV. Of those, about 10 percent have no cable/satellite subscription, meaning about 11.5 million households with TV but no cable/satellite.

And the cord-cutters and no-cable TV homes are nearly all non-sports watchers. If they watch much TV at all, the cord cutters are using Hulu and Netflix to watch "The Daily Show" or "Breaking Bad". They're not searching for televised sports on OTA channel 57. The sports watchers curse Comcast and DirecTV, but stay on for ESPN or NFL Sunday Ticket or whatever.
08-03-2014 11:56 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Not to sound pessimistic on this, but wake me up when there is something more concrete regarding the potential network.
08-04-2014 01:57 AM
All American

(08-03-2014 11:56 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 10:39 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 08:13 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  A poor man's national network of OTA channels (some major Networks (ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS) and other digital sub tier channels like WB/Bounce/etc...

Not that many households with TV but no cable. Nielsen said in 2012 there were 114.7 million U.S. households with TV. Of those, about 10 percent have no cable/satellite subscription, meaning about 11.5 million households with TV but no cable/satellite.

And the cord-cutters and no-cable TV homes are nearly all non-sports watchers. If they watch much TV at all, the cord cutters are using Hulu and Netflix to watch "The Daily Show" or "Breaking Bad". They're not searching for televised sports on OTA channel 57. The sports watchers curse Comcast and DirecTV, but stay on for ESPN or NFL Sunday Ticket or whatever.

Your information is off.

CBS/ABC/NBC all have distribution of around 128 million households.

http://rabbitears.info/search.php?request=network_list

ESPN has distribution of 95 million households. That means 33 million households (65 million people) use antenna only.

These numbers are easy to validate and the gap is increasing as ESPN subs have fallen 3 straight years while population growth and household formation has increased.

08-04-2014 06:16 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(08-03-2014 08:07 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 08:53 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  With Sinclair stepping into and wanting sports distribution, it will be interesting how all this evolves for CUSA, which has its tv contract coming up in two years.

I'd like to see Sinclair not just syndicate during game time, but to create an actual 24/7 dedicated channel on OTA. If ME-TV, Bounce, etc can get good enough ratings showing old movies and shows, then Sinclair creating a dedicated new sub-channel to be the free "ESPN" of antenna TV would be a home run I think. There would be plenty of content to fill up the time slots with G5, FCS College Conferences of all sports and then minor league baseball, minor league hockey, indoor football etc. create a studio show of highlights and there you go....

I've been thinking the same thing for the past year now.
08-04-2014 11:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.