Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UREC Expansion
Bookmark and Share
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
UREC Expansion
http://www.breezejmu.org/multimedia/coll...f6878.html

A Breeze first look at the new UREC expansion. It will be completed by May 2016.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 02:09 PM by Potomac.)
08-01-2014 02:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PGJMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes
RE: UREC Expansion
(08-01-2014 02:08 PM)Potomac Wrote:  http://www.breezejmu.org/multimedia/coll...f6878.html

A Breeze first look at the new UREC expansion. It will be completed by May 2016.

man, sure beats the broom closet in godwin with a universal machine, some device with a belt that would shake your bacon and 5 dumbells that I had back in the late 80's
08-01-2014 02:41 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
My daughter and I were in Harrisonburg last Sunday checking on her apartment and paying rent. We drove through Campus and looked at the UREC work. Huge hole in the ground where the back side fields were. The expansion is going to really increase the size of UREC.

Lot of projects going on all over Campus, some big some small. We stopped by the old RMH which has now been turned into the Student Success Center. The building was open and we wandered through it. Absolutely fabulous job on the Success Center. Place looks great. My daughter works in the Math and Science Tutoring Center and the new facility knocked her socks off. There is also a food court and convenience type store on the second floor and scads and scads of tables, chairs and benches and power outlets on the first floor. Should be a very popular place when it fully opens this month. If you are on Campus and have a chance take a stroll through it. And don't forget the Dunkin Donuts that is on the second floor also!!

Brian
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 03:33 PM by ParentofJMUMRDs.)
08-01-2014 03:29 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
New-rec construction album was updated last week. Still about a year out from completion, a lot of work done, a lot of work yet to do!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmuurec/se...008421783/
04-20-2015 10:01 AM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Really really nice work. I want a purple hard hat!
04-20-2015 10:37 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-20-2015 10:01 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  New-rec construction album was updated last week. Still about a year out from completion, a lot of work done, a lot of work yet to do!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmuurec/se...008421783/

Many thanks for sharing the photo album! This is a massive project, and the UREC is going to be an even greater boon to enrolled students and recruitment.
04-20-2015 01:07 PM
Advertisement

JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes

.jpg  20150422_101517.jpg (Size: 217.12 KB / Downloads: 86) Was in there yesterday and took a couple pics. The stairs lead up to where exercise bikes will be. Outleats on the wall up high are for TVs I have heard the bikes will provide thier own power as being pedeled and will have individual TV on them for viewing.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 07:50 AM by JMUsince89.)
04-23-2015 07:48 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

the flickr album was updated again.
04-28-2015 12:52 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

Exterior Construction photos from last week.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmuurec/se...5276570401
07-06-2015 09:41 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-06-2015 09:41 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Exterior Construction photos from last week.

Thanks for the link!

A near tripling in size of UREC will do wonders for the current student body, but looking at the scale of the project I can't help but think JMU's enrollment isn't going to stop around 22k, but will blast right past that to a number closer to 28k within the decade.
07-06-2015 07:36 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Deez

Thanks for the pics. Always nice to see a reminder as to how beautiful the campus is.

Brian
07-06-2015 07:48 PM
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

(07-06-2015 07:36 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 09:41 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Exterior Construction photos from last week.

Thanks for the link!

A near tripling in size of UREC will do wonders for the current student body, but looking at the scale of the project I can't help but think JMU's enrollment isn't going to stop around 22k, but will blast right past that to a number closer to 28k within the decade.

At the Madison Alumni Conference last month, President Alger and Dr. Benson said that JMU is not going to grow more; that they felt enrollment is at a very good number for JMU.
07-06-2015 10:32 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

(07-06-2015 07:48 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Deez

Thanks for the pics. Always nice to see a reminder as to how beautiful the campus is.

Brian

Sure thing; credit where credit is due though - I didn't shoot the pics, just noticed they were updated on the UREC Photostream. Wanted to share!
07-06-2015 10:34 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(07-06-2015 10:32 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  

Thanks for the link!

At the Madison Alumni Conference last month, President Alger and Dr. Benson said that JMU is not going to grow more; that they felt enrollment is at a very good number for JMU.

That's actually good to hear at the undergrad level, might get selectivity back up and keep the campus "intimate". Did they mention anything about graduate programs? Trying to get us recognized at the "national" university level vs the regional masters sub-category?
07-06-2015 11:17 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the link!

I would agree with them (that current enrollment numbers are "good"), but I'm not inclined to believe that enrollment will stabilize at the present number. Rose shared at his inauguration that JMU would not expand beyond the enrollment then in place (around 15k), which I knew was a blatant lie (projections filed with SCHEV had already set a number for JMU of about 20.5k by 2005), and while the present Sr. Administrators may say JMU will not grow beyond the present enrollment I see a different trend taking form.

Personally, I would like to see a cap on further growth at the undergraduate level (with a corresponding increase in the entrance requirements) and an increased focus on developing our graduate and professional programs.
07-07-2015 12:19 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2015 12:19 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Thanks for the link!

I would agree with them (that current enrollment numbers are "good"), but I'm not inclined to believe that enrollment will stabilize at the present number. Rose shared at his inauguration that JMU would not expand beyond the enrollment then in place (around 15k), which I knew was a blatant lie (projections filed with SCHEV had already set a number for JMU of about 20.5k by 2005), and while the present Sr. Administrators may say JMU will not grow beyond the present enrollment I see a different trend taking form.

Personally, I would like to see a cap on further growth at the undergraduate level (with a corresponding increase in the entrance requirements) and an increased focus on developing our graduate and professional programs.

In the past 40 years has there ever been a decrease in enrollment from one year to the next or a couple consecutive years? It seems to me the school has stopped to take a breath every now and again before marching to new levels of enrollment. Successful public universities will continue to grow as the population grows and it's doubling every 40 years. Those people will have to go somewhere.
07-07-2015 05:56 AM
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

2Buck, I forget how that part of the conversation went; Can't remember if anything was said, i believe it was but I won't speculate.

BP - the number of people going to college isn't as high as it was a couple of years ago. Furthermore, the QUALITY of applicants that JMU has traditionally received is a concern; There has typically been a proportion of students from Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, PA, /east coast that made up the JMU student population. WHEN the number of JMU applicants goes down from Virginia/surrounding areas as a result of students pursuing trade schools or community colleges, JMU will be forced to enroll students who wouldn't necessarily be the quality/caliber that they are used to accepting (think GPA, involvement, scores, etc that make up the admission decision).

The economic burden associated with costs of higher education isn't something that will happen, it's already happening, so admission decisions at colleges around the country will force them to enroll applicants from farther away or who are considered a less quality academic student. That is one of the reasons JMU isn't interested in growing the student population; so that they can maintain the same type of students who are attending JMU. It's hovered around 20K for the last recent years but i don't have the year-to-year breakdown.
07-07-2015 08:17 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

Construction album updated last week.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmuurec/se...3008421783
07-13-2015 01:12 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Deez

Thanks for the update.

Really liked the pic of the two microwaves sitting on the cinder block!!

Brian
07-13-2015 02:58 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2015 05:56 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 12:19 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Thanks for the link!

In the past 40 years has there ever been a decrease in enrollment from one year to the next or a couple consecutive years? It seems to me the school has stopped to take a breath every now and again before marching to new levels of enrollment. Successful public universities will continue to grow as the population grows and it's doubling every 40 years. Those people will have to go somewhere.

Not doubling every 40 years.

US has doubled in last 60+ years. Web search Census est 1953 about 159 million and 2015 about 319 million).

Va has doubled in last 50+ Years. Census estimates 1962 4.18 millon and 2014 8.33 million.
07-14-2015 11:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.