Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

20 Bold Predictions for 2014 (blog post)
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
20 Bold Predictions for 2014
Quote:6) An AAC team will be in the playoff hunt come December
The AAC has three really good teams, at least on paper, in Cincinnati, East Carolina and UCF. In the first year of the college football playoff, it is widely assumed only Power Five teams and Notre Dame have a chance. That may not be entirely true. Each of those three teams has multiple non-conference tests that – if aced – would put them in the playoff discussion if the thing isn’t totally rigged.

Cincinnati: Miami, Ohio State
UCF: Penn State, Missouri, BYU
East Carolina: South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia Tech

Here’s my guess: UCF wins all three big non-conference games but loses the season finale at East Carolina. The Power Five conference exhale a $30 million sigh of relief.

Ugh... that actually sounds painful enough to be true.
08-01-2014 10:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Knightbengal Offline
All American

If that's the case I would call that a successful year. It helps with our rep and means we have a decent qb

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
08-01-2014 10:13 AM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
RE: 20 Bold Predictions for 2014 (blog post)
I can't wait to be the surprise team of 2014-15!! 03-cloud9
08-01-2014 10:16 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
It would be nice if one of our teams is undefeated late in the season and in the conversation for a playoff spot
08-01-2014 10:23 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Would never happen.

Just look at last year. The pundits prior to the Fiesta Bowl were all so f*cking sure that UCF was going to be annihilated by Baylor, despite having beaten Penn State, a #6 team, and barely losing to a Top 10 team.

If these people could barely fathom how UCF could compete in the Fiesta Bowl, they sure as hell won't fathom how a team like UCF could possibly occupy one of the playoff spots. They will do anything and everything to prop up a 2 loss P5 team before lending credibility to an AAC team going to the playoff.

They will have all forgotten about the drumming we laid on BAylor. Trust me.
08-01-2014 10:46 AM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Don't sleep on Houston.
08-01-2014 10:50 AM
Advertisement

ElectricCoogaloo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
My prediction: Houston and Cincinnati go into the final week of the season undefeated in conference play.
08-01-2014 10:52 AM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
And Houston wins! 03-cloud9
08-01-2014 10:53 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Lost all credibility here:

17) North Carolina will win the ACC
Here’s my working theory: Florida State is going to breeze through the ACC regular season. They will not take UNC in the ACC Title Game seriously, despite like 80,000 UNC fans in the stands. UNC will jump out to an early lead and hang on for dear life in one of the season’s biggest upsets.

Why UNC? Larry Fedora is the real deal as a head coach. Just look at those abs! Actually, Fedora just knows his stuff offensively and it’s his third year with the school, which is when he started kicking it into high gear with Southern Miss. Lastly, I foresee a highly motivated UNC team due to NCAA investigations.
08-01-2014 10:58 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

TKT, the post says there would be talk of UCF making the CFP. As in the talk would be, "This isn't going to go over well when we announce a 10-2 Big10 team makes it over UCF". They'll all be relieved when UCF loses and the whole system isn't exposed as a fraud the first year.

However, I agree with you TKT, a non-P5 will never make the playoff as it is today. It was far fetched to think that one of our schools could make the BCS championship game, but the playoffs are a non-starter IMHO. In the old system, the AQ conferences knew they were all guaranteed their big bowl game... a BCS championship slot was gravy. Heck there wasn't all that much of an uproar when 2 SEC teams played.

The playoffs are another thing. The P5's all but expect they'll have a slot year in and year out, except maybe once every 4-5 years when they have a down year. In their words, "5 conferences, 4 slots". Plus there are no outside polls, no computers with quantitative weight, there is only a room of 13 people, with each P5 having an active AD as one of the 13.
08-01-2014 10:59 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-01-2014 10:53 AM)JDTulane Wrote:  And Houston wins! 03-cloud9

03-pissed
08-01-2014 11:14 AM
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(08-01-2014 10:46 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  Would never happen.

Just look at last year. The pundits prior to the Fiesta Bowl were all so f*cking sure that UCF was going to be annihilated by Baylor, despite having beaten Penn State, a #6 team, and barely losing to a Top 10 team.

If these people could barely fathom how UCF could compete in the Fiesta Bowl, they sure as hell won't fathom how a team like UCF could possibly occupy one of the playoff spots. They will do anything and everything to prop up a 2 loss P5 team before lending credibility to an AAC team going to the playoff.

Unfortunately, you guys got 'stuck' with Baylor instead of your more well-known and better respected football program from the Big12. It would have been a bigger story and upset if you guys would have beaten a UT or Oklahoma...or even Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl.

For a lot of folks Baylor is basically the new Kansas from a few years ago, when the Jayhawks had a couple good seasons while UT and OU had a couple down years...but didn't remain in the national spotlight.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 12:05 PM by CyberBull.)
08-01-2014 12:02 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

If one of those 3 were to somehow go undefeated they would be in the playoff discussion, but it's gonna be really tough for that to happen.
08-01-2014 12:07 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

'tf is this? There's no way.
08-01-2014 12:10 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-01-2014 12:02 PM)CyberBull Wrote:  

Unfortunately, you guys got 'stuck' with Baylor instead of your more well-known and better respected football program from the Big12. It would have been a bigger story and upset if you guys would have beaten a UT or Oklahoma...or even Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl.

For a lot of folks Baylor is basically the new Kansas from a few years ago, when the Jayhawks had a couple good seasons while UT and OU had a couple down years...but didn't remain in the national spotlight.

What? They were the most prolific offense in college football and were in the national title coversion up until late in the season. They're starting this year ranked as #10. That doesn't sound to me like a flash in the pan forgettable program.
08-01-2014 12:15 PM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
In MHO, think UC will lose 3 games, ECU lose 2 or 3 heartbreakers and UCF loses 2 - That leaves UH who may go undefeated, but lose out in playoffs because of SOS. We'll still get the Access Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 12:52 PM by AusTxPony.)
08-01-2014 12:51 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-01-2014 12:51 PM)AusTxPony Wrote:  In MHO, think UC will lose 3 games, ECU lose 2 or 3 heartbreakers and UCF loses 2 - That leaves UH who may go undefeated, but lose out in playoffs because of SOS. We'll still get the Access Bowl.

I don't think Houston can visit Cincy in December and fly home with a W. It would be the only probably cold weather game on their slate.

About the playoff, gotta go undefeated and beat good p5 teams ooc. Some of the p5 schools very well could have 2 losses.
08-01-2014 12:57 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(08-01-2014 12:02 PM)CyberBull Wrote:  

Baylor is far better than Kansas ever was. They have been rolling up points on everybody for several years now. They had the Heisman trophy winner a couple of years ago which put them in a new stratosphere perception wise.

They have been the media darlings recently, a much better win for UCF and the conference than you give credit for IMO.
08-01-2014 01:03 PM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
Baylor was one of the best teams in the country in 2013, but nobody thinks of them as a blue blooded elite program. The perception is that Texas and Oklahoma are the the Big XII's elite programs while the others rise and fall but rarely finish higher than 3rd.

The Fiesta Bowl win was huge for UCF and the AAC, but if it had been UT or OU in that game instead of Baylor then I bet we get a higher final ranking in 2013 and a higher preseason ranking in 2014. It's not fair, but perception is more important than reality in this sport.
08-01-2014 01:07 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
10) The Big 12 will announce expansion plans by NovemberThe league is not getting a playoff spot this year. If strength of schedule truly means something, they may not until Texas gets really good again because the league lacks elite teams. The talking points about no conference championship game are already starting and next year the Big 12 will be the only conference without a title game, including the non-power conferences.

That’s not going to work long-term. Before this season ends, the Big 12 will realize it needs to match the number in its name and will announce such. Who those teams are? I don’t know everything*.

*It’ll be BYU and UCF.
08-01-2014 03:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.