Article on Kestenbaum
08-01-2014 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Article on Kestenbaum
(08-01-2014 09:28 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  http://www.ualrtrojans.com/ViewArticle.d...=209603232

Nice article. I will send a letter to Chris about placing Coach Kestenbaum in the UALR Hall of Fame. I've been meaning to do so for several years, but always put it off. He deserves and needs to be there.
08-01-2014 12:07 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Leading a team into D1 is bound to be a tough job.
08-01-2014 12:13 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I vividly recall that last second loss to Georgia Southern. I imagine North Texas feels the same way about Solo's miracle shot.
08-01-2014 03:53 PM
Advertisement

ez272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Little Rock
It was a good article.
I remember the press conference when it was announced UALR was not renewing Kestenbaum's contract. So strange. Vice chancellor for advancement Wyatt was sitting next to Kestenbaum. Wyatt answered almost every question with "no comment." The school came out looking pretty dumb in the article because of that.
I think Kestenbaum should be in the Hall, too.
08-02-2014 08:34 AM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
I started with the Trojans after Kestenbaum, I believe it was Newell's 2nd year. What I remember about it was that Kestenbaum was not treated well, and was somewhat bitter. I recall him saying that for recruiting trips he no budget and had to pay for expenses out of his own pocket. Could be that he would not be that excited about the Trojan HOF.
08-02-2014 09:32 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

You wonder how we would have done had Ron stayed? Don't know if he would have had the success Newell had, but he did pretty darn good while he was here. No way of knowing, but you have to think about where the program would be today had he stayed and Newell had never come. He had New York connections and Newell, if I recall, had Detroit connections through his assistant coach. If we ever hire another coach, it might be wise to bring in someone who could tap into a major market.
08-02-2014 09:34 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm sure Ron was bitter and he deserved to be. I remember going to the TAAC tournament game in Shreveport and Ron drove down in his Pinto and, I believe, had a couple of players squeezed in as well. They traveled in vans and ate at McDonald's. However, the article suggests to me that he is over how he was let go and remembers his time in Little Rock fondly. I wrote an email to Chris supporting his election to the Hall of Fame. I hope a few folks on this board will take 5 minutes to do the same.
08-03-2014 09:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.