Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More Games vs the MW?
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
More Games vs the MW?
Overall, this is a short but interesting fairly unbiased story looking at the G5 plight in the playoff/autonomy era (mostly from the MW prospective). Buried in the story was this interesting nugget.

Thompson said the league’s immediate goal is to consistently place teams in the New Year’s Eve bowl that will pit the top-ranked team from the Group of Five (Mountain West, American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC) against a power-conference foe. He has spoken with AAC commissioner Mike Aresco about scheduling more games between teams from the two leagues, to offer comparative data about which is better.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/...ll-playoff
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 04:59 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-31-2014 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HURRICANEWARNING Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TULSA -"The TU"
RE: More Games vs the MW?
(07-31-2014 04:47 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Thompson said the league’s immediate goal is to consistently place teams in the New Year’s Eve bowl that will pit the top-ranked team from the Group of Five (Mountain West, American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC) against a power-conference foe. He has spoken with AAC commissioner Mike Aresco about scheduling more games between teams from the two leagues, to offer comparative data about which is better.

Blah. Of course, he's going to say that, he doesn't have any other defense.
07-31-2014 04:49 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
Sports involves so much political posturing these days...
07-31-2014 04:56 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(07-31-2014 04:49 PM)HURRICANEWARNING Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 04:47 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Thompson said the league’s immediate goal is to consistently place teams in the New Year’s Eve bowl that will pit the top-ranked team from the Group of Five (Mountain West, American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC) against a power-conference foe. He has spoken with AAC commissioner Mike Aresco about scheduling more games between teams from the two leagues, to offer comparative data about which is better.

Blah. Of course, he's going to say that, he doesn't have any other defense.

I certainly have not seen a slew of AAC vs MW OOC games announced recently. Maybe the AAC was indifferent to the idea. My guess is that all things being equal, we have placed more emphasis on scheduling P5 OOC games. Our OOC scheduling plan has been to get two P5 games per year--plus an FCS and a regional FBS. The only way to add a MW team would be to dump the FCS game, but I think we would prefer to keep the 7th home game occurring as often as possible. That said, we did add UNLV at the last minute this year---but that was largely because Rice backed out on us late in the scheduling process.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 05:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-31-2014 04:57 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Tuberville is 100% in charge of our OOC scheduling. Better to get P5 teams on the schedule if you can.
07-31-2014 05:12 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

that's an interesting perspective

it says 2 things:
1) it acknowledges he knows we are the perceived better league

2) he believes despite perception the MWC is the better league and wants to prove it

in a way he basically acknowledges they are 7 but believes they should be 6

you look at aresco's perspective he's not even fighting for 6, he just says it's ours, and his goal is to be a "power 6"

why this will never happen, both leagues are going for the above level, aresco/aac have nothing to gain with that, just everything to lose
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 08:50 PM by pesik.)
07-31-2014 05:14 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-31-2014 05:14 PM)pesik Wrote:  that's an interesting perspective

it says 2 things:

2) he believe despite perception the MWC is the better league and wants to prove

you look at aresco's perspective he's not even fighting for 6, he just says it's ours, and his goal is to be a "power 6"

why this will never happen, both leagues are going for the above level, aresco/aac have nothing to gain with that, just everything to lose

No, the MW doesn't perceive the CUSA..er the AAC to be better. I don't mind scheduling some G5 schools to provide that data point. And we do have a few games with you guys. So, well just see how this plays out starting this year.
07-31-2014 05:18 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(07-31-2014 05:18 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 05:14 PM)pesik Wrote:  that's an interesting perspective

it says 2 things:

2) he believe despite perception the MWC is the better league and wants to prove

No, the MW doesn't perceive the CUSA..er the AAC to be better. I don't mind scheduling some G5 schools to provide that data point. And we do have a few games with you guys. So, well just see how this plays out starting this year.

"spoken with AAC commissioner Mike Aresco about scheduling more games between teams from the two leagues, to offer comparative data about which is better."

did you even read the quote??? this isn't a general G5 thing like you are trying to say..this is clearly and obviously targetted at the AAC, boise's AD said the same thing in the MWC media days, and said the AAC not G5..

and you're right in what you said that "the MW doesn't perceive the CUSA..er the AAC to be better" they don't perceive themselves that way, re-read my original comment... they perceive themselves as #6 but acknowledge that they are viewed as #7 to everyone but themselves..

this quote is clearly stating in an incognito way, we think we are better than them and we want to prove it & show the world...

be honest do you honestly think the MWC commish would have said they wanted to schedule more sunbelt and c-usa for comparative data especially to a media source??
you dont need to compare yourself if youre already sitting on the top..

in referece aresco constantly talks about scheduling and beating P5, people aim for the level above them, the league views itself as a power league but no one else does
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 05:43 PM by pesik.)
07-31-2014 05:33 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
I've got no interest in playing MW teams. I like to watch a some of their games, but I don't want to play H and H with them. Seeing Nevada/UNLV/SDSU play in Dowdy just doesn't do it for me.
07-31-2014 05:40 PM
Tigersmoke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
Whatever you say mwctex or whoever you are. Its not our fault you dumb@sses took the quick money over smart money. You know they say quick money like dope money, it doesn't last and you don't prosper from it.lol. you idiot
07-31-2014 05:51 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
of coarse we all want to play P5 teams but I'd take some home and homes with MWC in a heartbeat...as a fan I'd be excited to go to Nippert and see Boise, AF, Fresno, Col St, or SDSU.
07-31-2014 05:53 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(07-31-2014 04:47 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Overall, this is a short but interesting fairly unbiased story looking at the G5 plight in the playoff/autonomy era (mostly from the MW prospective). Buried in the story was this interesting nugget.

Thompson said the league’s immediate goal is to consistently place teams in the New Year’s Eve bowl that will pit the top-ranked team from the Group of Five (Mountain West, American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC) against a power-conference foe. He has spoken with AAC commissioner Mike Aresco about scheduling more games between teams from the two leagues, to offer comparative data about which is better.

i hope aresco laughed at him and told him we dont need to measure ourselves against the mwc. heck we are playing ucla this year. i dont give 2 shites about playing any of them. we shouldnt even schedule any mwc games, let em rot in the pacific and mountain time zones. i wouldnt offer them eastern exposure. most of the country is asleep or drunk at a tailgate party before they even take the field.
07-31-2014 05:56 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
(07-31-2014 05:56 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 04:47 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Overall, this is a short but interesting fairly unbiased story looking at the G5 plight in the playoff/autonomy era (mostly from the MW prospective). Buried in the story was this interesting nugget.

i hope aresco laughed at him and told him we dont need to measure ourselves against the mwc. heck we are playing ucla this year. i dont give 2 shites about playing any of them. we shouldnt even schedule any mwc games, let em rot in the pacific and mountain time zones. i wouldnt offer them eastern exposure. most of the country is asleep or drunk at a tailgate party before they even take the field.

[Image: Shots+Fired.jpg]
07-31-2014 06:02 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(07-31-2014 05:40 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  I've got no interest in playing MW teams. I like to watch a some of their games, but I don't want to play H and H with them. Seeing Nevada/UNLV/SDSU play in Dowdy just doesn't do it for me.

I'm in the same boat as you, ncbeta

How could they (MWC) not view the AAC as the sixth best conference... This league (AAC) has far more respectable members outside of the so called p5 conferences.
07-31-2014 06:22 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(07-31-2014 05:40 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  I've got no interest in playing MW teams. I like to watch a some of their games, but I don't want to play H and H with them. Seeing Nevada/UNLV/SDSU play in Dowdy just doesn't do it for me.

Its working for Northern Illinois as they are adding Utah, BYU, SDSU, UNLV, Wyoming to the schedule. However again they are NIU and the furthest West MAC school so there is more interest playing out that direction.

Quote:2016
SDSU

@SDSU

Utah
@BYU

@Utah

BYU

http://csnbbs.com/thread-696696.html
07-31-2014 06:23 PM
RedMountain Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ASU, UPenn, UH
More games vs the MW?

Why male models?
07-31-2014 07:39 PM
Advertisement

ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
(07-31-2014 06:23 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Its working for Northern Illinois as they are adding Utah, BYU, SDSU, UNLV, Wyoming to the schedule. However again they are NIU and the furthest West MAC school so there is more interest playing out that direction.

SDSU

@SDSU

Utah
@BYU

@Utah

BYU

I wouldn't mind BYU or Utah. Would probably be okay w. Wyoming, Fresno and AF. Really don't care about Nevada, New Mexico, unlv, boise, sdsu, csu or Hawaii. Utah st and sjsu might be okay.
07-31-2014 08:18 PM
GLinPa Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
Really only as a last resort. Some of them have appeal for us hardcore fans and should they be ranked at the time that they were to visit it might create a mild buzz, but really we need to do all that we can to schedule any P5 school instead.
07-31-2014 08:24 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(07-31-2014 08:18 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 06:23 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

SDSU

@SDSU

Utah
@BYU

@Utah

BYU

I wouldn't mind BYU or Utah. Would probably be okay w. Wyoming, Fresno and AF. Really don't care about Nevada, New Mexico, unlv, boise, sdsu, csu or Hawaii. Utah st and sjsu might be okay.

Ohio had Wyoming a few years back but for whatever reason can only pull in New Mexico St and Idaho out west.

BYU or Utah would be great.
07-31-2014 09:04 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
It's not so much a question of "who's better", although since that inevitably factors into it, I will openly admit I think the AAC is "better" (i.e., more lucrative to its members, more visible to the public, more competitive on the field, etc.).

But the main reason I would not be in favor of the increased-scheduling idea is the boring fact of simple geography. AAC members can easily schedule 1 or 2 (or even 3 if we make a point of it) games a year against P5 teams in the Eastern/Central time zones. Once those games are set, it's easier to play an FCS, Army, or Sun Belt.
07-31-2014 11:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.