Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

80 year old man shoots pregnant woman
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/24/80-...=obnetwork

Quote:LOS ANGELES – An 80-year-old man says he shot and killed a fleeing woman whom he had caught burglarizing his home, despite her plea that she was pregnant.

"She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant — I'm going to have a baby,' and I shot her anyway," Tom Greer told KNBC-TV.

Was this man in the right about shooting this woman and protecting his property or will he be charged with double homicide since he killed a woman and her unborn child?
07-30-2014 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: 80 year old man shoots pregnant woman
Dragon, I think we had a thread on this already.
07-30-2014 10:05 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

Oh vacation last week. didnt read much while i was gone
07-30-2014 10:07 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Why would you shoot anyone that is running away regardless of whether or not she is pregnant.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-30-2014 10:33 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Question behind the question,...why would she unlawfully break into his house and then attack him ? She got what she deserved.

07-30-2014 01:17 PM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

(07-30-2014 01:17 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Question behind the question,...why would she unlawfully break into his house and then attack him ? She got what she deserved.

Tend to agree she was only apologetic after he got his gun.
07-30-2014 01:18 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

Maybe she deserved an ass kicking and arrest. She didn't deserve to get shot if she is running away.

07-30-2014 01:35 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(07-30-2014 01:35 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Maybe she deserved an ass kicking and arrest. She didn't deserve to get shot if she is running away.

He didn't deserve to have his home burglarized. Now, I probably wouldn't have shot AT the woman, but she put herself in that positon and met the consequences.
07-30-2014 01:44 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Turns out the girl wasn't even preggo.
07-30-2014 02:10 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-30-2014 01:18 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 01:17 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Question behind the question,...why would she unlawfully break into his house and then attack him ? She got what she deserved.

Tend to agree she was only apologetic after he got his gun.

I think on the other thread most of us agreed that the shooter won't do jail time.
DA won't get an indictment and if that did happen jury would not convict.
07-30-2014 02:29 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-30-2014 10:33 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Why would you shoot anyone that is running away regardless of whether or not she is pregnant.

Maybe use karate like you? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
07-30-2014 02:30 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(07-30-2014 02:10 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Turns out the girl wasn't even preggo.

That thought crossed my mind the first time I read that story.
07-30-2014 02:37 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Seems like these two habitually preyed upon the elderly

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20...-this-year

Quote:Records show Long Beach police in May arrested Andrea Miller and Gus Adams, the two suspects at the center of a robbery and fatal shooting in Los Cerritos, but released them without filing charges.

Steve Lecuyer, 48, of Long Beach, said Friday he was shocked when he heard that Miller and Adams had broken into the home of Tom Greer on the night of July 22 in the upscale neighborhood and allegedly assaulted the 80-year-old homeowner. He recognized the two suspects — Miller, who was fatally shot by Greer, and Adams, who was charged Friday with robbery and murder — because they had scammed his elderly father out of hundreds of dollars a few months earlier.

Miller and Adams were arrested around 8:25 p.m. in the 2100 block of Maine Avenue after patrol officers conducted an investigation relating to an elderly man being extorted out of several hundred dollars, said Nancy Pratt, a spokeswoman for the Long Beach Police Department. The two were booked on suspicion of committing a variety of offenses including extortion, embezzlement and receiving funds under false pretenses.

And evidently it was a family affair
http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20...ficals-say

Quote:The mother of a man charged with murder in a fatal home-invasion robbery in the upscale Long Beach neighborhood of Los Cerritos has been charged for her alleged role as a lookout, prosecutors said Monday.

Ruby Adams, 49, is accused of serving as a lookout while her son, Gus Adams, and his female accomplice, Andrea Miller, ransacked the home of an elderly Long Beach man last week. She appeared in court Monday afternoon but did not enter a plea.

The July 23 shooting gained media attention after the homeowner, 80-year-old Tom Greer, told KNBC Channel 4 that he shot Miller twice in the back as she was fleeing with Adams, even though she called out that she was pregnant. Miller later died.

The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office said Miller was not pregnant.

Ruby Adams was charged with first-degree residential burglary and first-degree residential robbery, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Monday. She is being held at $175,000 bail.

Adams will be arraigned Aug. 11 along with her son, who faces murder, residential robbery and other felony charges after his arrest on the day of the robbery. Ruby Adams was arrested the next day.
07-30-2014 02:38 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(07-30-2014 02:37 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 02:10 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Turns out the girl wasn't even preggo.

That thought crossed my mind the first time I read that story.

Thief. Liar. Dead.
07-30-2014 02:39 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
The rational side of me wants the shooter arrested, since he was no longer in danger and shot a fleeing suspect.

The emotional side is fine with it... she is to blame for putting herself in that volatile position, and it's one violent criminal off the streets unable to commit the same act again.

I struggle.
07-30-2014 02:41 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

Anyone who attempts to rob another person should expect to suffer the consequences. By the same token, anyone who elects to shoot a pregnant women who is fleeing should also expect to suffer consequences.

07-30-2014 04:53 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(07-30-2014 10:33 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Why would you shoot anyone that is running away regardless of whether or not she is pregnant.

I'm kind of with Fitbud on this one... Rights come along with responsibilities and while you have the right to use a weapon to defend yourself you have the duty to make sure it's done in a reasonable situation.
07-30-2014 05:03 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Many on this board like to use the term, look at it in "context". Well let's do that. The victim had his property broken into, stolen and he was also battered and assaulted. Now in order to defend himself, he gets a weapon, which is his right to have.

After receiving a broken collarbone and other wounds, the 80 year old senor citizen, needs to use "restraint" on these low life good for nothing trash. Nah.....
07-30-2014 05:17 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(07-30-2014 05:17 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Many on this board like to use the term, look at it in "context". Well let's do that. The victim had his property broken into, stolen and he was also battered and assaulted. Now in order to defend himself, he gets a weapon, which is his right to have.

After receiving a broken collarbone and other wounds, the 80 year old senor citizen, needs to use "restraint" on these low life good for nothing trash. Nah.....

When the perps ran he was no longer in danger... He went after them creating the situation in which the woman was shot.

I do not think he is a murderer based on the info I have but his hands are not clean.
07-30-2014 05:19 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(07-30-2014 05:19 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 05:17 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Many on this board like to use the term, look at it in "context". Well let's do that. The victim had his property broken into, stolen and he was also battered and assaulted. Now in order to defend himself, he gets a weapon, which is his right to have.

When the perps ran he was no longer in danger... He went after them creating the situation in which the woman was shot.

I do not think he is a murderer based on the info I have but his hands are not clean.

That's your interpretation

Here's the Long Beach Police Chief's

from the second article I linked above
Quote:Greer said he regarded the shooting of Miller as self-defense, even though Miller was running away. McDonnell said it would be up to prosecutors to decide if Greer’s actions amounted to a crime.

“Basically, you can defend yourself if you’re in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death,” McDonnell said. “It’s not so much the location specifically. It’s are you in fear of your life, wherever you are.”

In the end this is going to come down to the external pressure put upon the D.A. Since this is in the People's Republic of California he probably stands a 50/50 chance of facing trial for murder.
07-30-2014 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.