Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the gay bullying plague in schools a myth?
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Is the gay bullying plague in schools a myth?
Quote:I trust you, or your advisors, will give serious consideration to the medical evidence below and reconsider your decision to fund the so-called Safe Schools programme throughout Australia.

The political justification for ‘Safe Schools’ programmes, or the associated ‘Gay-Straight Alliances’, is that there is a plague of gay-based bullying in our schools, and the only way to counter that is through celebrating homosexuality. That justification, however, is doubtful.

In one large study comparing a thousand homosexual and heterosexual adults in the UK, published in the British Journal of Psychiatry in 2003, the researchers found no increase in bullying of gay men compared to heterosexual men, whether at school or subsequently, whether verbally or physically. “Reports that gay and lesbian people are vulnerable to such experiences because of their sexuality are often taken at face value”, these researchers noted, with other studies failing to draw a comparison to heterosexual students.

In other words, there are many reasons to be bullied at school – for being too smart, too dumb; too fat, too weak; or for being “gay” even when you are not gay. A report in the news only last week finds one-third of 10-year-olds in Australia report being bullied for various reasons. That is something many young people go through, and the claim that homosexual people suffer disproportionate bullying appears to be “taken at face value”.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/is-t...ols-a-myth
07-30-2014 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: Is the gay bullying plague in schools a myth?
Gee, another lie from leftists?
07-30-2014 09:24 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
07-30-2014 09:28 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
I went to a small country school... I've seen people get bullied for being fat, small, wearing glasses, being in "Expanded Horizons," being a mixed couple, and many other things... Being a queer was never an issue that caused bullying, hell, we always tried to be cool with the few there because they hung around all the hot chicks.

Leftists just need hateful talking points, nobody picks on fags.
07-30-2014 09:30 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(07-30-2014 09:28 AM)mlb Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_Life_Coalition

??? 01-wingedeagle
07-30-2014 09:31 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
(07-30-2014 09:31 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 09:28 AM)mlb Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_Life_Coalition

??? 01-wingedeagle

Lol, this ^^
07-30-2014 09:35 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(07-30-2014 09:30 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  I went to a small country school... I've seen people get bullied for being fat, small, wearing glasses, being in "Expanded Horizons," being a mixed couple, and many other things... Being a queer was never an issue that caused bullying, hell, we always tried to be cool with the few there because they hung around all the hot chicks.

We didn't have any queers at my school. We did call people queers anyway. I was picked on a bit in 5th grade because I was unusually short and looked like I was in 2nd grade. Never complained like a whiny liberal, I countered by turning into a nasty SOB and creating alliances with some of the larger guys and that worked fine and never had to deal with it again.
07-30-2014 09:35 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators

??? 01-wingedeagle

That web site is run by a very socially conservative group since 1997.

The opinion article was written by the head of the Australian Marriage Forum, an anti-gay marriage group.
07-30-2014 09:38 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-30-2014 09:38 AM)mlb Wrote:  
??? 01-wingedeagle
That web site is run by a very socially conservative group since 1997.
The opinion article was written by the head of the Australian Marriage Forum, an anti-gay marriage group.

And that makes it wrong because?
07-30-2014 09:40 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Point?
07-30-2014 09:41 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(07-30-2014 09:35 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  We didn't have any queers at my school.

You took a poll? (No pun intended)
07-30-2014 09:41 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(07-30-2014 09:40 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  And that makes it wrong because?

I'd like to see better sources, that is my point. Just the same when I see something attacking "conservatives" on Huffington Post. I take it with a grain of salt. Same goes with this "source."

That being said, I'm not in school but 20 years ago when I was 15 I know for a fact that any kids that were not part of the in crowd were called "fags," and my buddies and I would all call each other gay and fags when we were just ripping on each other. I'd be shocked if at some level teenage boys aren't still doing the same, especially if someone is openly gay.
07-30-2014 09:45 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(07-30-2014 09:41 AM)Smaug Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 09:35 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  We didn't have any queers at my school.

You took a poll? (No pun intended)

I went to a small private school, maybe 50-60 students per grade level, so I knew literally everybody at the school.
07-30-2014 09:48 AM
DrTorch Offline

(07-30-2014 09:45 AM)mlb Wrote:  

I'd like to see better sources, that is my point. Just the same when I see something attacking "conservatives" on Huffington Post. I take it with a grain of salt. Same goes with this "source."

That being said, I'm not in school but 20 years ago when I was 15 I know for a fact that any kids that were not part of the in crowd were called "fags," and my buddies and I would all call each other gay and fags when we were just ripping on each other. I'd be shocked if at some level teenage boys aren't still doing the same, especially if someone is openly gay.

But that's the wrong analysis.

By your own admission you and your friends bullied non-gays, but you're not aware of bullying gays.
07-30-2014 09:48 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(07-30-2014 09:45 AM)mlb Wrote:  

So what? When we were ripping each other, I was often called an Italian piece of schit. I didn't call for a national campaign, I countered.
07-30-2014 09:50 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
We played "Smear the Queer"
07-30-2014 09:57 AM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(07-30-2014 09:30 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  I went to a small country school... I've seen people get bullied for being fat, small, wearing glasses, being in "Expanded Horizons," being a mixed couple, and many other things... Being a queer was never an issue that caused bullying, hell, we always tried to be cool with the few there because they hung around all the hot chicks.

When I look at a person I can tell if they're fat, small, wear glasses, and many other things, but how do I know they're gay unless they tell me? So do school kids these days typically walk around and announce they're gay thus inviting the bullying everyone is trying to prevent? Why don't they just sTFU like the rest of us? Face it, when I was a freshman I got bullied. When I was a senior I bullied others. I have 3 cats and the dominant one bullies the other two. That's life.
07-30-2014 10:05 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(07-30-2014 09:48 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  But that's the wrong analysis.

By your own admission you and your friends bullied non-gays, but you're not aware of bullying gays.

Using those slurs is still an attack on the people who are gay... even if you weren't directly attacking that person at the time. They heard it, I'm quite positive it hurt them. I have come to find out quite a few of my classmates were gay so I do imagine my buddies and I hurt them at some level.

I would think this is pretty close to a situation in which a black kid overheard a bunch of white kids jokingly calling each other n-bombs. It may not be directed at him, but it most certainly is going to create some feelings that shouldn't he shouldn't have to deal with.
07-30-2014 10:07 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(07-30-2014 09:57 AM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  We played "Smear the Queer"

Me too - great game!
07-30-2014 10:11 AM
DrTorch Offline

(07-30-2014 10:07 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 09:48 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  But that's the wrong analysis.

Using those slurs is still an attack on the people who are gay... even if you weren't directly attacking that person at the time. They heard it, I'm quite positive it hurt them. I have come to find out quite a few of my classmates were gay so I do imagine my buddies and I hurt them at some level.

Regardless, you were not bullying them.
07-30-2014 10:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.