Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bearcats Football Tops American Preseason Poll
Bookmark and Share
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
Bearcats Football Tops American Preseason Poll
Now to live up to the hype... from The AAC's website...

NEWPORT, R.I. – The Cincinnati Bearcats have been one of the most consistent programs in college football in the last decade. It should be no surprise, then, that Cincinnati has been tabbed as the favorite in the 2014 American Athletic Conference preseason football media poll.

The Bearcats received 17 of a possible 30 first-place votes and had 311 points in the preseason voting of media representatives. UCF, which went 8-0 in The American last season, received seven first-place votes and was second in the poll with 296 points, while Houston had six first-place votes and took third 268 points.

Cincinnati has won at least nine games six times in the last seven years and has reached double digits in wins five times in that stretch. The Bearcats went 9-4 in 2013 – the first year at Cincinnati for veteran head coach Tommy Tuberville, who has 16 starters returning. The Bearcat offense returns starters at quarterback, running back and wide receiver and has an anchor on the offensive line in the form of offensive tackle Eric Lefeld, who was a unanimous all-conference selection last year. The defense loses three all-conference players from last year, but has veterans across the board, including second-team all-conference defensive end Silverberry Mouhon (9.5 sacks in 2013).

UCF was the runner-up to Cincinnati in the 2014 preseason poll, but the Knights were the outright American Athletic Conference champions in 2013. UCF went 12-1 last season, capped by a 52-42 win against Big 12 champion Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, and finished the season ranked No. 10 in the Associated Press poll. Head coach George O'Leary has 17 starters returning from that team, but will have to replace the 2013 American Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year as quarterback Blake Bortles declared for the NFL Draft and was selected with the third pick. Linebacker Terrance Plummer, the Defensive MVP of the Fiesta Bowl, leads a group of nine returning defensive starters.

Houston went 8-5 overall and was 5-3 in the American Athletic Conference last year and has the benefit of 19 returning starters and the brand new TDECU Stadium for third-year head coach Tony Levine. While Houston made its name on offense in recent years, it was defense that carried the Cougars last season as Houston led the nation with 43 turnovers gained in 2013. Safety Trevon Stewart had four interceptions and six fumble recoveries on his own and will lead a defense that returns 10 starters. Quarterback John O'Korn was the 2013 American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year after he threw for 3,117 yards and 28 touchdowns.

East Carolina was fourth in the preseason poll with 262 points, just six points behind Houston. Coach Ruffin McNeill led the Pirates to a 10-3 season last year, including a win against Ohio in the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl, but East Carolina has just 11 starters back from that team and faces a schedule that includes two top-10 teams from last year (UCF, South Carolina). Quarterback Shane Carden, who ranked second nationally in completion percentage last season (70.5 percent) returns after he was named the Conference USA Most Valuable Player.

SMU edged USF for fifth in the poll as the Mustangs had 158 points to the Bulls' 157. SMU saw a streak of four consecutive postseason appearances end with last year's 5-7 season, but coach June Jones has never had back-to-back losing seasons in 15 years as a head coach. Wide receiver Darius Joseph had 108 receptions last year, good for second in The American, and was eighth nationally in receptions per game (8.6).

USF was sixth in the poll, one point behind SMU. The Bulls went 2-10 in Willie Taggart's first year in Tampa, but return 16 starters that will be augmented by a recruiting class that was projected as the strongest in The American. Wide receiver Andre Davis returns after he set a school record with 735 receiving yards, despite having four different starting quarterbacks deliver the ball last year.

Memphis was tabbed for seventh in the preseason poll with 133 points. Coach Justin Fuente welcomes 18 starters back from last year, including eight from a defense that ranked 12th nationally against the run last year. Defensive end Martin Ifedi is a contender for national honors after he registered 11.5 sacks last year, while cornerback Bobby McCain led The American with six interceptions despite missing three games due to injury.

Temple was eighth in the poll with 105 points. The Owls went 2-10 overall and 1-7 in The American in the first year for head coach Matt Rhule, a record that belied how competitive Temple was in 2013. The Owls have just seven seniors on their 2014 roster, but have no shortage of top-end talent. Quarterback P.J. Walker ranked third in The American in pass efficiency (150.8) as a true freshman, trailing only Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles. Linebacker Tyler Matakevich led the nation in solo tackles (8.8 per game) and is a strong candidate for national honors.

UConn and Tulane tied for ninth in the poll with 98 points each. The Huskies welcome first-year head coach Bob Diaco, the former Notre Dame defensive coordinator, who inherits a team that won its last three games of the 2013 season. Wide receiver Geremy Davis is a standout on offense following a season in which he registered 71 catches for 1,085 yards.

Tulane has 14 returning starters from last year's team that went 7-6 as Curtis Johnson's squad improved by five wins from the previous season. The Green Wave will christen the new Yulman Stadium this season as All-America cornerback Lorenzo Doss leads Tulane against seven teams that played in bowl games last season.

Tulsa was pegged for 11th in the poll with 94 points, but the Golden Hurricane was just 11 points away from the No. 8 spot in the ranking. Recent history suggests that Tulsa will outperform its projection – the Hurricane won the Conference USA title just two years ago and Bill Blankenship has 19 returning starters back from last year's squad. Defensive back Michael Mudoh, who had 133 tackles last year, leads a group of 10 returning starters on defense.

2014 AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE
PRESEASON FOOTBALL MEDIA POLL
Rank Team (First-Place Votes) Pts.
1. Cincinnati (17) 311
2. UCF (7) 296
3. Houston (6) 268
4. East Carolina 262
5. SMU 158
6. USF 157
7. Memphis 133
8. Temple 105
9. UConn 98
Tulane 98
11. Tulsa 94

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 08:08 AM by Jchuges7.)
07-29-2014 07:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Bearcats Football Tops American Preseason Poll
over valued: SMU, Memphis

under valued: Temple, Tulane

Like last year this conference is decent at the top and garbage at the bottom.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 08:04 AM by CliftonAve.)
07-29-2014 08:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
A little deceiving to say we have a returning starter at QB. It is nice to get top billing though, hope we follow through.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 08:05 AM by Teakwood.)
07-29-2014 08:05 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(07-29-2014 08:05 AM)Teakwood Wrote:  A little deceiving to say we have a returning starter at QB. It is nice to get top billing though, hope we follow through.

Technically we do--- Munchie was the starter last year and he returns (albeit he won't start).

07-29-2014 08:07 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(07-29-2014 08:07 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 08:05 AM)Teakwood Wrote:  A little deceiving to say we have a returning starter at QB. It is nice to get top billing though, hope we follow through.

Technically we do--- Munchie was the starter last year and he returns (albeit he won't start).

Good Lord, I hope not. Just keep Eddie Gran away from Munchie and RDAIV, and the offense will be fine.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 08:15 AM by ctipton.)
07-29-2014 08:14 AM
Advertisement

mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
With UofL gone, we're expected to be a title contender every year until we're called to another conference.

This could go very bad for us if we don't win this conference; however, I think the 'Cats are solid on both sides of the line and Kiel will show what a 5-star QB can do. With time to throw and the corp of WRs he has, this could be a special year.

We stand a very good chance of going undefeated in conference and 3-1 OOC. As long as Tubbs keep the team focused week after week, we will do fine.

07-29-2014 08:37 AM
Teakwood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: All Bearcats
(07-29-2014 08:37 AM)mac6115cd Wrote:  With UofL gone, we're expected to be a title contender every year until we're called to another conference.

This could go very bad for us if we don't win this conference; however, I think the 'Cats are solid on both sides of the line and Kiel will show what a 5-star QB can do. With time to throw and the corp of WRs he has, this could be a special year.

We stand a very good chance of going undefeated in conference and 3-1 OOC. As long as Tubbs keep the team focused week after week, we will do fine.

If we don't win the conference, the only way I won't be ticked is if someone flat out rises up and plays over their head. If someone else earns it, I can deal with that, if we piss it away, I'll pound my head into a wall.

07-29-2014 09:32 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

Houston getting 6 first place votes was a shock to me. I thought UC and UCF were a full step ahead of the pack, but that got my attention.

07-29-2014 10:17 AM
Bearcat Jimmy-93 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
It is very nice to be picked to finish 1rst in the preseason poll. I don't remember the last time we were preseason favorites! It will be interesting to see how the team responds when they are used to the under dog role and playing with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove.

07-29-2014 10:27 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(07-29-2014 10:17 AM)uccheese Wrote:  Houston getting 6 first place votes was a shock to me. I thought UC and UCF were a full step ahead of the pack, but that got my attention.

Houston could show up here 11-0.

07-29-2014 10:28 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(07-29-2014 10:17 AM)uccheese Wrote:  Houston getting 6 first place votes was a shock to me. I thought UC and UCF were a full step ahead of the pack, but that got my attention.

Houston returns the majority of a very opportunistic and stout defense from last year. They also return their QB O'Korn who played very well for a freshman last year.

Their schedule is not as daunting as some others face: their only stiff test OOC is at BYU (other games are Grambling, Texas-San Antonio and UNLV) and they do not have to play East Carolina. They get UCF at home. They could sleep walk and get 8-9 wins next year.

07-29-2014 10:34 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(07-29-2014 10:34 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Houston returns the majority of a very opportunistic and stout defense from last year. They also return their QB O'Korn who played very well for a freshman last year.

Their schedule is not as daunting as some others face: their only stiff test OOC is at BYU (other games are Grambling, Texas-San Antonio and UNLV) and they do not have to play East Carolina. They get UCF at home. They could sleep walk and get 8-9 wins next year.

Houston has a home field this year, brand new stadium. 7 home games, 8 games in Texas.

07-29-2014 10:44 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Not to beotch but didn't we sign a TV contract with ESPN!? Foxsports.com and CBSsports.com both have stories on their NCAAFB sites about the Bearcats being predicted to win the conference title. ESPN does not. The bastards payed nothing and give not one schit about our conference. This is evidenced by ESPN's American blog also. They rarely update it (they did today because Oklahoma is going to play in Houston to start the 2016 season).

07-29-2014 12:27 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(07-29-2014 12:27 PM)bearcatdp Wrote:  Not to beotch but didn't we sign a TV contract with ESPN!? Foxsports.com and CBSsports.com both have stories on their NCAAFB sites about the Bearcats being predicted to win the conference title. ESPN does not. The bastards payed nothing and give not one schit about our conference. This is evidenced by ESPN's American blog also. They rarely update it (they did today because Oklahoma is going to play in Houston to start the 2016 season).

You are correct that ESPN does not care for the teams in thsi conference or the league itself. FWIW, CBSsports owns a piece of the rights to the conference since ESPN sold it off to them last year. CBSsports has been a much better parter for the AAC (the problem is the reality is if it doesn't happen on ESPN it doesn't happen).

07-29-2014 01:25 PM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

(07-29-2014 01:25 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 12:27 PM)bearcatdp Wrote:  Not to beotch but didn't we sign a TV contract with ESPN!? Foxsports.com and CBSsports.com both have stories on their NCAAFB sites about the Bearcats being predicted to win the conference title. ESPN does not. The bastards payed nothing and give not one schit about our conference. This is evidenced by ESPN's American blog also. They rarely update it (they did today because Oklahoma is going to play in Houston to start the 2016 season).

You are correct that ESPN does not care for the teams in thsi conference or the league itself. FWIW, CBSsports owns a piece of the rights to the conference since ESPN sold it off to them last year. CBSsports has been a much better parter for the AAC (the problem is the reality is if it doesn't happen on ESPN it doesn't happen).

As mentioned on CBSSports (not ESPN): "A quick look at the media's preseason poll shows a top-heavy league in 2014, with Cincinnati, UCF, Houston and even league newcomer East Carolina a tier above the rest of the league. In order to back up the media day comments, those four will need to represent the league well in non-conference play and one -- likely the league champion -- should be in a selection committee bowl on Dec. 31 or Jan. 1."

This total lack of coverage from ESPN should be a factor in the next TV contract. Aresco would have to be nuts to continue with ESPN. Granted, they're the big dog at this time, but nothing is forever.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 01:45 PM by mac6115cd.)
07-29-2014 01:41 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(07-29-2014 01:41 PM)mac6115cd Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 01:25 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

As mentioned on CBSSports (not ESPN): "A quick look at the media's preseason poll shows a top-heavy league in 2014, with Cincinnati, UCF, Houston and even league newcomer East Carolina a tier above the rest of the league. In order to back up the media day comments, those four will need to represent the league well in non-conference play and one -- likely the league champion -- should be in a selection committee bowl on Dec. 31 or Jan. 1."

This total lack of coverage from ESPN should be a factor in the next TV contract. Aresco would have to be nuts to continue with ESPN. Granted, they're the big dog at this time, but nothing is forever.

Disagree. The new big east basketball conference parted ways with ESPN and suddenly the perception of those schools tanked. Espn rarely said anything nice about the conference and constantly bashed it throughout the year. They basically fell off the map of relevance.

07-29-2014 03:14 PM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

ESPN is like the mob. Better to be on their side than against them.

07-29-2014 03:26 PM
Advertisement

MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(07-29-2014 03:26 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  ESPN is like the mob. Better to be on their side than against them.

Amen. And in the minds of recruits, if you aren't on ESPN, you aren't relevant.

07-29-2014 03:59 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
In other pre-season conference prediction news... 5 of 7 CBSsports.com writers pick UC

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...n-athletic

08-04-2014 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.