Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Notre Dame
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Notre Dame
ESPN debate: will ACC football be helped or hurt by the Notre Dame scheduling agreement.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/72...rt-the-acc

I think helped, but I see both sides of the argument.
07-28-2014 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
RE: Notre Dame
Notre Dame is going to take a hit in the W column.

http://www.uhnd.com/articles/football/no...acc-17337/[/u]

Quote:NOTRE DAME’S HISTORICAL PERFORMANCE AGAINST THE ACC
Opponent All-Time (W-L-T) First Played Last Played
Boston College 13-9-0 1975 2012
Clemson 1-1 1977 1979
Florida State 2-5 1981 2011
NC State 0-1-0 2003 2003
Syracuse 3-3-0 1914 2008
Wake Forest 2-0 2011 2012
Duke 3-1-0 1958 2007
Georgia Tech 27-6-1 1922 2007
Miami 17-7-1 1955 2012
North Carolina 16-2 1949 2008
Pittsburgh 47-20-1 1909 2012
Virginia 1-0-0 1989 1989
Virginia Tech 0-0-0 Never Never
Louisville 0-0-0 Never Never
Totals 132-55-3 (0.694)
07-28-2014 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(07-28-2014 03:00 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  ESPN debate: will ACC football be helped or hurt by the Notre Dame scheduling agreement.

I think Andrea misses the entire point of having ND in the ACC, what may or may not happen in one season is mostly irrelevant.
07-28-2014 03:14 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
(07-28-2014 03:14 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 03:00 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  ESPN debate: will ACC football be helped or hurt by the Notre Dame scheduling agreement.

I think Andrea misses the entire point of having ND in the ACC, what may or may not happen in one season is mostly irrelevant.

I have to agree lumberpack.

..and I usually LOVE Andrea's piece's but this is a weird one.? Notre Dame IS like a "Friends w/benefits" situation were it's not completely ideal but both side do get A boost in certain areas.

I know it is TOTALLY AWESOME for us to see the Domers on our schedule! and it's will always be a instant sell-out to whomever ACC stadium they go to.
FLossY out....04-wine
07-28-2014 03:24 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 03:24 PM)HRFlossY Wrote:  

I have to agree lumberpack.

..and I usually LOVE Andrea's piece's but this is a weird one.? Notre Dame IS like a "Friends w/benefits" situation were it's not completely ideal but both side do get A boost in certain areas.

I know it is TOTALLY AWESOME for us to see the Domers on our schedule! and it's will always be a instant sell-out to whomever ACC stadium they go to.
FLossY out....04-wine

If you can't beat ND, you aren't going to play for the National Championship. From the point of view of Clemson and FSU, if they can't beat South Carolina or Florida, or WF or NC State in that particular year, they aren't going to play for a NC. Only VT and Miami are the other ACC schools that might string together a year good enough to get back into the top 4.

ND is not going to take a bowl from FSU or Clemson, that FSU or Clemson fans really want. In a year that ND does that, it means that CU or FSU have two or more losses.

Now, UNC, NC State, GT, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Miami, and VT - yes that group might get screwed one year by ND taking their bowl, but what bowl will they actually take. The Champs Sports bowl? The place for our 2nd's or 3rd team against the B12's 3rd or 4th?

That's just not much of a price when balanced against the home and away football games with ND, the exposure on NBC, and the money from 2.5 football games. It's not like any ACC teams actually MAKES MONEY on a bowl below the Orange Bowl or if they do, it's damn little.

As others have pointed out and complained about, you came make more staying at home some years.
07-28-2014 04:09 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams

Based on the way she worded it, I got the impression that she was given the assignment to write the "anti-Notre Dame" piece (even if she didn't agree with that position).
07-28-2014 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
With Notre Dame committed to playing five ACC schools every year, and the conference planning the rotation, it's a win for the Atlantic Coast Conference. It shows a level of commitment that never existed with the Big East Conference.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 06:19 PM by texasorange.)
07-28-2014 06:17 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
speaking of rotations they should announce the next 3 year rotation sooner rather than later
07-28-2014 07:10 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
AA's analysis is a bit flawed. Yes, FSU plays Okie State, but let's not pretend for one minute they play defense, something FSU is quite adept at. Will Okie State be ranked, yes, should FSU get bonus points for beating them, yes. Will Okie State compete with FSU, not really. The Big 12 has not played defense as a whole for some years. OU and UT actually started focusing on defense last season and will probably be nearer their historical dominance than they have lately (especially UT!). Okie State cannot be take lightly on offense, but FSU's offense has been know to score every now and then. (sarcasm off)

Florida: 'nuff said. Loaded with talent, wasted by the staff. FSU has proven their system and the players remain pretty much the same. Can't see where UF wins this game. Until they get a new HC, UF will remain one of the most talent laden teams with disappointing results.

ND: Actually should be a good game with FSU. They have talent and can play offense and defense. FSU is hitting on all cylinders and should win, but ND probably has a better shot than Okie State and with UF's coaching staff, ND outclasses UF hands down.

In the future, FSU is not likely to burden themselves with three power OOC games, this is more of a one-off year for scheduling. I don't think it happens often, if ever again.

I agree with Hokie Mark that AA "was given the assignment to write the "anti-Notre Dame" piece (even if she didn't agree with that position)."
07-29-2014 07:01 AM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
I still believe the ACC should maximize by matching up ND to play FSU, Clemson, Miami, U of L, GaTech and VaTech more frequently than with the rest of the league. It may not be the most popular sentiment but from a making the ACC better prospective, these matc hups would provide more bang for the buck. Additionally, I believe that sort of scheduling should take place on the bball side as well. The league has blue bloods and providing home and home series with UNC, Duke, Cuse and U of L is a no brainier. Maybe include Pitt, UVa and State and you have match ups that certainly have proven to be draws for the basketball fan. You already no what UNC/Duke bring to the table. Obviously Duke/Cuse was a ratings boom. Pitt/Cuse, UofL/Cuse was a huge game for the Big East. Duke/U of L, UNC/U of L could be right up there as well. Nine times out of ten, you will have at the very least a top 15 match ups and more likely a top 10 match up.
07-29-2014 07:34 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
It's also got to be remembered, that this deal came out before the bowl deals. That means Notre Dame being part of the equation effected the results with likely either a) a better bowl/match-up or two or b) more money from those bowls. In particular, I have to wonder if the partial tie-in with the Citrus (Capital One) was helped by the Irish (although that could have also been a product of a deal to get the Big Ten into the Orange).
07-29-2014 09:58 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
As piss-poor as our bowl lineup is I don't know if I would be using that as proof the deal with the parasites is a good thing.
07-29-2014 10:07 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(07-29-2014 07:34 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  I still believe the ACC should maximize by matching up ND to play FSU, Clemson, Miami, U of L, GaTech and VaTech more frequently than with the rest of the league. It may not be the most popular sentiment but from a making the ACC better prospective, these matc hups would provide more bang for the buck. Additionally, I believe that sort of scheduling should take place on the bball side as well. The league has blue bloods and providing home and home series with UNC, Duke, Cuse and U of L is a no brainier. Maybe include Pitt, UVa and State and you have match ups that certainly have proven to be draws for the basketball fan. You already no what UNC/Duke bring to the table. Obviously Duke/Cuse was a ratings boom. Pitt/Cuse, UofL/Cuse was a huge game for the Big East. Duke/U of L, UNC/U of L could be right up there as well. Nine times out of ten, you will have at the very least a top 15 match ups and more likely a top 10 match up.

Syracuse, and Pitt, along with WV. always had the highest tv ratings for its football games out of the old BE. Even last year, SU and Pitt had higher average ratings than half of the teams that you listed that you think ND should play more often than others. ND/Pitt is a rivalry game that would probably do as well as any other ACC team vs ND.
07-29-2014 10:29 AM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
From Pitt's perspective it's a terrible deal. We used to play ND every year. Now we'll rotate with our conference mates.

I think for the ACC it's good all-in-all. It's not my preference but at the end of the day that doesn't mean it isn't good for the teams in the league. Playing ND is a good thing. They're still a big name program and they bring fans to the stadium and eyeballs to the TV. That's good for the league.

It's a downfall that they'll get access to the bowl lineup without having to actually join the league. This may not sound too bad until they take your place in a better bowl game.
07-29-2014 11:29 AM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

(07-29-2014 10:29 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 07:34 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  I still believe the ACC should maximize by matching up ND to play FSU, Clemson, Miami, U of L, GaTech and VaTech more frequently than with the rest of the league. It may not be the most popular sentiment but from a making the ACC better prospective, these matc hups would provide more bang for the buck. Additionally, I believe that sort of scheduling should take place on the bball side as well. The league has blue bloods and providing home and home series with UNC, Duke, Cuse and U of L is a no brainier. Maybe include Pitt, UVa and State and you have match ups that certainly have proven to be draws for the basketball fan. You already no what UNC/Duke bring to the table. Obviously Duke/Cuse was a ratings boom. Pitt/Cuse, UofL/Cuse was a huge game for the Big East. Duke/U of L, UNC/U of L could be right up there as well. Nine times out of ten, you will have at the very least a top 15 match ups and more likely a top 10 match up.

Syracuse, and Pitt, along with WV. always had the highest tv ratings for its football games out of the old BE. Even last year, SU and Pitt had higher average ratings than half of the teams that you listed that you think ND should play more often than others. ND/Pitt is a rivalry game that would probably do as well as any other ACC team vs ND.

I have no doubt that for the Big East, that those games did have the highest ratings; however, ND did not play their required games against the Big East teams, like it will with this current agreement. So, do you really believe a ND/Cuse or ND/Pitt game, although may be very entertaining, would have the same attractiveness of a ND/FSU, ND/Miami, ND/VaTech, ND/Clemson or ND/U of L game? Especially if they are all ranked at the time. Those match ups would allow the ACC to counter the attractiveness of a Bama/FL game, or FL/UGa game, or LSU/Bama game. Match ups, that is one of the strongest reasons the SEC can command what they command. They have multiple attractive football match ups each week. Why not allow for a higher frequency of the strongest ACC teams against ND?
07-29-2014 11:53 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(07-29-2014 11:53 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 10:29 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

I have no doubt that for the Big East, that those games did have the highest ratings; however, ND did not play their required games against the Big East teams, like it will with this current agreement. So, do you really believe a ND/Cuse or ND/Pitt game, although may be very entertaining, would have the same attractiveness of a ND/FSU, ND/Miami, ND/VaTech, ND/Clemson or ND/U of L game? Especially if they are all ranked at the time. Those match ups would allow the ACC to counter the attractiveness of a Bama/FL game, or FL/UGa game, or LSU/Bama game. Match ups, that is one of the strongest reasons the SEC can command what they command. They have multiple attractive football match ups each week. Why not allow for a higher frequency of the strongest ACC teams against ND?

The strongest ACC teams on the field are not always the strongest teams in the tv ratings. Syracuse and Pitt fb have higher tv ratings than Louisville, even though Louisville is currently, likely, the better team. I do believe that SU and Pitt vs ND would bring in higher ratings than Louisville/ND especially Pitt/ND. Keep in mind that SU is still recovering from the GRob years and still gets pretty good ratings. That's why SU and Pitt, along with WV regularly had more nationally televised games in the last few years of the BE than anyone else in the BE.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 12:14 PM by cuseroc.)
07-29-2014 12:12 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
We will see when the games start being played. 07-coffee3
07-29-2014 02:23 PM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

@cuseroc, I hate that I used ratings when in fact i should have used "attractiveness", "high profile" any other word combination that would impart what two nationally ranked opponents playing each week would do for the ACC. Again, I have no doubt that the ratings for ND/Cuse, ND/Pitt may be higher; however, the higher profile game would be a ranked ND vs a ranked FSU, Clemson, GaTech, VaTech, U of L and Miami. I certainly remember Irish vs Criminoles and Irish vs Convicts and all the hype associated with those games. And, it just wasn't regional. It was a national thing.

The same tactic would be the same in basketball. The ACC would crazy not to try and have all eyes on home and home series that feature UNC, Duke, U of L and Cuse. Throw in Pitt, UVa, State and you have the eyes of the national watching b ball match ups that you can only hope to get during the Big Dance. I am not saying that the game with ND should be eliminated; I am just saying that the frequency in which those football programs play ND should take precedent over a ND/Wake match up, ND/State match up, ND/UNC match up, ND/UVa match up and ND/Duke mtach up. Put the best possible match up out to the masses more frequently until those weaker football programs step their game up.
07-29-2014 02:36 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
Well since this year will be our FIRST TIME EVER playing Notre Dame, the rating after this year will serve as an example going forward.05-mafia
FLossY out....04-wine
07-29-2014 03:48 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

2014 - ND at FSU, Louisville and UNC at ND, Syracuse - NYC (Metlife) (4)
2015 - ND at UVa, at Clemson, at Pitt, GT and WF at ND, BC - Boston (ND's home game) (6)
2016 - ND at NC State, VT, Duke, and Miami at ND, Syracuse - NYC (Metlife) (5)
2017 - ND at BC, at Louisville, NC State at ND, tbd (5)

NC State has been told that we are at ND in 2017, supposedly in part due to the LSU/Syracuse deal. A Syracuse person can decipher who is home and who is away when ND and Syracuse are in NYC.

It's possible that the ACC makes the most when the less popular ACC team hosts ND. That's our telecast and it turns a potential dog into something that would be watched.

The world is not beating down the door to watch Maine at BC, Georgia Southern at NC State, or San Diego State at UNC. They aren't beating the door down for FSU versus SAvannah State or Clemson versus South Carolina State, but as more popular teams that are going to be playing a one or two duds a year like the ACC, it may be that the reverese of Indy''s thesis is true. However, it will take some research to test it.

However, I can't imagine that Swofford would go for something that cheats teams that want to play ND out of their matchups. He might go for allowing a school to avoid them if they have better games that suit them better on tap, but that's as far as I would think he would go.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 07:09 PM by lumberpack4.)
07-29-2014 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.