UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBR - Your best social media advice for student-athletes
Blzer4Life Offline
Super Blazer Moderator

I Root For: UAB

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
NBR - Your best social media advice for student-athletes
I'm speaking to a group of student-athletes on Thursday, taking a more positive spin on social media usage.

One of the things I'm interested in communicating to them is what fans want more of, as well as any advice you have for them. You know, past the obvious "don't be an idiot".

Thoughts welcome!
07-28-2014 07:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: NBR - Your best social media advice for student-athletes
Give the fans an inside look. Pics on road trips. Their opinions of the game, etc.

Represent your school, but don't be simply an arm of the PR dept.

For the most part, UAB athletes do a great job on twitter (only social media I mess with).
07-28-2014 07:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't expect your spelling and grammar to be perfect, but I do expect you to come off as literate.
07-28-2014 08:10 AM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB_ASDD
Screw the fans because they don't put in work, will turn on you in a heart beat, most are clueless, and only care about you as an athlete. Focus on family, education, football, and friends because in the end that's all that matters in your teenage world. If someone tweets you about your spelling and grammar, simply tell them that they are number#1. Then ask them why a grown ass man is following an 18 year old kid that they don't know.
07-28-2014 08:43 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Why would a grown ass man watch a 18 year old play a game? Same logic.

They are providing entertainment. Like it or not, social media is now part of the package.

I agree with you that they should not worry about the fans when they post and be themselves, but be aware that they are not in a vacuum.
07-28-2014 09:01 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
RE-lax in front of the camera. But remember, your grandma is watching. If you are not confident in your ability to speak in front of a group, take a public speaking course. And do it early in your career so that it will pay off for you over a long period of time.
07-28-2014 09:16 AM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(07-28-2014 08:43 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  Screw the fans .

The question was what do what fans want more of.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 09:39 AM by Smaug.)
07-28-2014 09:21 AM
Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
Tell them before they post it...pause and ask, am I okay with my parents, coach, pastor and potential employer seeing this.
If the answer is no to either...don't post it.
07-28-2014 09:44 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

As an athlete, you have a wider audience than your friends and family.

07-28-2014 10:04 AM
UABslant Offline

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The moment you become a UAB Blazer you become a part of media relations, public relations, and recruiting. You are on the front line & can create positive change for the program through your tweets.

You want to be a winner? You want to be a champion? Tweet like a winner... show your pride in the work you put in, the education you're receiving, and the fun & exciting parts of being at UAB & living in B'ham. You chose to come to UAB because you thought you could make a difference... start by showing the Twitterverse how great UAB can be... you'll attract other winners to the program.

You determine how everyone else sees your school and your team... your job on Twitter is to make sure all your followers know that you made the right choice in becoming a Blazer.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 10:52 AM by UABslant.)
07-28-2014 10:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Don't ever use the terms, "Roll" "Eagle" "War" or "Tide".
07-28-2014 11:07 AM
Advertisement

UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 10:04 AM)Smaug Wrote:  As an athlete, you have a wider audience than your friends and family.

As an athlete you should represent your family well, cherish your true friends, and screw the fans. Your family and friends were around before so called fans and will be around long after. Your family pay your dues, drive you to practice, pay for your training, drive you to training, pay for camps, drive you to camps, attend your games, support you when fail, lift you up when you're down, and celebrate your accomplishments and that's when the fan shows up.

You have NO responsibility to a fan, your responsibilities are with your family, your team, and your friends. Fans that think you have some type of responsibility to them have an overly inflated sense of self.
07-28-2014 11:15 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Yeah, fans should just write checks and shut their pie hole.

You understand this is an internet message board, right?

I'm reminded of a line of Rick Reilly's. "See that lady way up in the nosebleed seats? Section 300, Row X, seat 48? She's a single mother making $12 an hour, who just shelled out $75 for tickets, $10 to park, and $18.50 for three hot dogs and 2 cokes so her kids could see you play. You be nice to her. Without her, you're a 300lb bouncer with half a PE degree."
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 11:22 AM by Smaug.)
07-28-2014 11:17 AM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 11:17 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Yeah, fans should just write checks and shut their pie hole.

Fans write checks to schools not athletes, athletes generate a helluva lot more money for schools than fans donate.

I understand it's a message board, that's why I post my opinions the same way that you do. You understand what an opinion is, don't you?
07-28-2014 11:24 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(07-28-2014 11:24 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  Fans write checks to schools not athletes.

Yep, and if there are no athletes, there are often no checks.

Quote:I understand it's a message board, that's why I post my opinions the same way that you do. You understand what an opinion is, don't you?

Sure, I know what an opinion is. I also know a deliberately inflammatory one when I see it.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 11:27 AM by Smaug.)
07-28-2014 11:26 AM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 11:17 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Yeah, fans should just write checks and shut their pie hole.

I'm reminded of a line of Rick Reilly's. "See that lady way up in the nosebleed seats? Section 300, Row X, seat 48? She's a single mother making $12 an hour, who just shelled out $75 for tickets, $10 to park, and $18.50 for three hot dogs and 2 cokes so her kids could see you play. You be nice to her. Without her, you're a 300lb bouncer with half a PE degree."

Yeah, there's a lot of ignorance and prejudging going on in that quote, I can see why YOU would be reminded of it.
07-28-2014 11:27 AM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(07-28-2014 11:27 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  

Yeah, there's a lot of ignorance and prejudging going on in that quote, I can see why YOU would be reminded of it.

Heh, you've baited me far enough. I'm out.
07-28-2014 11:28 AM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(07-28-2014 11:26 AM)Smaug Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 11:24 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  Fans write checks to schools not athletes.

Yep, and if there are no athletes, there are often no checks.

Quote:I understand it's a message board, that's why I post my opinions the same way that you do. You understand what an opinion is, don't you?

Sure, I know what an opinion is. I also know a deliberately inflammatory one when I see it.

Yep, the athlete is often a reason for fans writing checks but the revenue generated by athletes guarantees that they will be around, with or without a fans check.
07-28-2014 11:30 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(07-28-2014 10:49 AM)UABslant Wrote:  The moment you become a UAB Blazer you become a part of media relations, public relations, and recruiting. You are on the front line & can create positive change for the program through your tweets.

You want to be a winner? You want to be a champion? Tweet like a winner... show your pride in the work you put in, the education you're receiving, and the fun & exciting parts of being at UAB & living in B'ham. You chose to come to UAB because you thought you could make a difference... start by showing the Twitterverse how great UAB can be... you'll attract other winners to the program.

You determine how everyone else sees your school and your team... your job on Twitter is to make sure all your followers know that you made the right choice in becoming a Blazer.

That's exactly what I don't like. If I follow someone, I don't want to feel like I am following the Team's PR machine. Be yourself.
07-28-2014 11:34 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(07-28-2014 11:27 AM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  

I suspect that quote is directed more toward pro athletes than unpaid college kids.
07-28-2014 11:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.