Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pot seen as reason for rise in Denver homeless
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Pot seen as reason for rise in Denver homeless
DENVER (AP) — Officials at some Denver homeless shelters say the legalization of marijuana has contributed to an increase in the number of younger people living on the city's streets.

One organization dealing with the increase is Urban Peak, which provides food, shelter and other services to homeless people aged 15 to 24 in Denver and Colorado Springs.

"Of the new kids we're seeing, the majority are saying they're here because of the weed," deputy director Kendall Rames told The Denver Post. "They're traveling through. It is very unfortunate."

The Salvation Army's single men's shelter in Denver has been serving more homeless this summer, and officials have noted an increase in the number of 18- to 25-year-olds there.

The shelter housed an average of 225 each night last summer, but this summer it's averaging 300 people per night. No breakdown was available by age, but an informal survey found that about a quarter of the increase was related to marijuana, including people who moved hoping to find work in the marijuana industry, said Murray Flagg, divisional social services secretary for the Salvation Army's Intermountain Division.

Some of the homeless have felony backgrounds that prevent them from working in pot shops and grow houses, which are regulated by the state, Flagg said. He also thinks others may find work but don't earn enough to pay rent in Denver's expensive housing market.

At the St. Francis Center, a daytime homeless shelter, pot is the second most frequently volunteered reason for being in Colorado, after looking for work.

St. Francis executive director Tom Leuhrs also sees an economic reason for the increase of the number of homeless young people. They're having difficulty moving from high school and college to the workforce, Leuhrs said.

"The economy is not supporting them. There are not enough jobs," he said.

Edward Madewell said he was on his way back home to Missouri when he decided to head to Colorado so he could keep smoking the marijuana he uses to control seizures. "I'm not going to stop using something organic. I don't like the pills," he said.

Dusty Taylor, 20, said he moved back to Colorado, where he grew up, to avoid legal problems. "I don't want to catch a felony for smoking," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/pot-seen-reason-ri...15981.html
07-27-2014 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
RE: Pot seen as reason for rise in Denver homeless
Thought they just legalized it.
07-27-2014 04:55 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
The citizens of Colorado better hope Berkley comes through with their promise of free pot for the homeless. Otherwise, they will be raising taxes in order to support the deadbeats.
07-27-2014 05:22 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Of course, even homeless people like to get high.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-27-2014 06:13 PM
olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Some liberal was bragging that the state government is raking in millions now with this law. Well let them use those millions on their new problem. Simple.
07-27-2014 08:01 PM
HappyAppy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App
Quote:The shelter housed an average of 225 each night last summer, but this summer it's averaging 300 people per night. No breakdown was available by age, but an informal survey found that about a quarter of the increase was related to marijuana, including people who moved hoping to find work in the marijuana industry, said Murray Flagg, divisional social services secretary for the Salvation Army's Intermountain Division.

Who can argue with hard stats like that? A homeless shelter has seen an increase of about 75 people per day over last year. Of those 75, about 19 are there because of pot, and those numbers include people who thought they could find a job in this industry.

Quote:Some liberal was bragging that the state government is raking in millions now with this law. Well let them use those millions on their new problem. Simple.

Even the Yahoo comments section (a far right circle jerk that makes this board look like the Huffington Post by comparison) realizes what a joke this article is. A major city, in one of the few places in the world where you can buy legalized marijuana, is seeing a small increase in homeless people according to an informal survey. These are not people made homeless by the devil weed, but people who were already homeless.

I don't know how you can argue with that logic. Sure it's bringing millions and millions of dollars to the state, but the homeless are flooding in by the tens!! I've heard some garbage arguments against legalization but this is up there with the worst.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 09:00 PM by HappyAppy.)
07-27-2014 09:00 PM
Advertisement

jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(07-27-2014 04:54 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  "Of the new kids we're seeing, the majority are saying they're here because of the weed," deputy director Kendall Rames told The Denver Post. "They're traveling through. It is very unfortunate." . . .

Edward Madewell said he was on his way back home to Missouri when he decided to head to Colorado so he could keep smoking the marijuana he uses to control seizures. "I'm not going to stop using something organic. I don't like the pills," he said.

Dusty Taylor, 20, said he moved back to Colorado, where he grew up, to avoid legal problems. "I don't want to catch a felony for smoking," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/pot-seen-reason-ri...15981.html

Once again, it seems like the problems allegedly caused by pot are caused by the drug war.
07-27-2014 11:45 PM
Dak10 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ron Paul
They just sent them to LA in a school bus in the South Park episode.
07-28-2014 01:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dak10 Offline
Hall of Famer

Death toll now over 1000, over 90% estimated to be civilian. Average age of Palestinian citizen is 17. Zionists everywhere celebrate the bloodshed and loss of life.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 02:50 AM by Dak10.)
07-28-2014 02:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dak10 Offline
Hall of Famer

Zionist army is killing an average of one Palestinian child per hour. Celebrate good times! Nothing better than a good old ethnic cleansing.
07-28-2014 02:53 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(07-28-2014 02:53 AM)Dak10 Wrote:  Zionist army is killing an average of one Palestinian child per hour. Celebrate good times! Nothing better than a good old ethnic cleansing.

Wrong thread?07-coffee3
07-28-2014 08:31 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
This is just too funny.

07-28-2014 12:36 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(07-27-2014 06:13 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Of course, even homeless people like to get high.

But there are more of them. Runaway kids are flocking to Denver like flies on schit... reminiscent of Haight-Asbury in the 60s. Expect communes and charismatic cult leaders to start popping up.
07-28-2014 12:40 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(07-28-2014 12:36 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  This is just too funny.

You think being homeless is funny?
07-28-2014 12:44 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
Some people just don't learn from history. Colorado and Washington are about to find out why this has failed each and every time it has been tried.

The sad fact is: the legalize crowd won't stop with pot. They will now try to legalize harder drugs using the same fallacious tactics.
07-28-2014 12:58 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
I'm good with legalizing it if it has a health benefit to those who are sick.. Not for recreational use. I don't believe in prescribing it for depression, anxiety, etc. I mean scripts for those meds are easy to get.
07-28-2014 01:04 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(07-27-2014 09:00 PM)HappyAppy Wrote:  
Quote:The shelter housed an average of 225 each night last summer, but this summer it's averaging 300 people per night. No breakdown was available by age, but an informal survey found that about a quarter of the increase was related to marijuana, including people who moved hoping to find work in the marijuana industry, said Murray Flagg, divisional social services secretary for the Salvation Army's Intermountain Division.

Who can argue with hard stats like that? A homeless shelter has seen an increase of about 75 people per day over last year. Of those 75, about 19 are there because of pot, and those numbers include people who thought they could find a job in this industry.

Quote:Some liberal was bragging that the state government is raking in millions now with this law. Well let them use those millions on their new problem. Simple.

Even the Yahoo comments section (a far right circle jerk that makes this board look like the Huffington Post by comparison) realizes what a joke this article is. A major city, in one of the few places in the world where you can buy legalized marijuana, is seeing a small increase in homeless people according to an informal survey. These are not people made homeless by the devil weed, but people who were already homeless.

I don't know how you can argue with that logic. Sure it's bringing millions and millions of dollars to the state, but the homeless are flooding in by the tens!! I've heard some garbage arguments against legalization but this is up there with the worst.

The article is only a joke if you think the number of homeless won't increase. The article is only a joke if you think stoned out kids will de-mellow out and look for work and then pass a drug screen when they find something. The article is only a joke if it's someone else's kid and not yours.
07-28-2014 01:07 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2014 01:04 PM)gdunn Wrote:  I'm good with legalizing it if it has a health benefit to those who are sick.. Not for recreational use. I don't believe in prescribing it for depression, anxiety, etc. I mean scripts for those meds are easy to get.

As far as I know, pot cures no known disease.

The medical aspect is how the legalize crowd gets their foot in the door.
07-28-2014 01:07 PM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
Pain killers cure no diseases easier but certainly makes living with physical pain easier.

I am not for recreational pot use. but pot has shown to do some good with cancer patients to alleviate certain symptoms.
07-28-2014 02:05 PM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2014 02:05 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  Pain killers cure no diseases easier but certainly makes living with physical pain easier.

I am not for recreational pot use. but pot has shown to do some good with cancer patients to alleviate certain symptoms.

Sure, but that is not why most of the legalize crowd is motivated.
07-28-2014 02:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.