Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Recruiting.
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
AAC Recruiting.
Just wanted some opinion on how it's going for everyone.

I glanced at Cincy's class and it mostly seems filled with 2 star guys. Has recruiting taken a dive for you guys or is that usually the norm? I always assumed you recruited about the same as WVU, mostly 3 stars with some 4s sprinkled in.

Have the Conference USA teams that moved up seen a bump in recruiting or has it stayed about the same?
07-26-2014 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: AAC Recruiting.
(07-26-2014 09:44 AM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  Have the Conference USA teams that moved up seen a bump in recruiting or has it stayed about the same?
Big bump for Tulane in football (MBB, not so much), but that's partly due to the new (December 2011) coaching staff that produced our first winning season since 2002.
07-26-2014 04:11 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(07-26-2014 09:44 AM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  Just wanted some opinion on how it's going for everyone.

I'll tell you how recruiting went in 2014 in 4-5 years.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2014 04:37 PM by Chappy.)
07-26-2014 04:35 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(07-26-2014 09:44 AM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  Just wanted some opinion on how it's going for everyone.

I glanced at Cincy's class and it mostly seems filled with 2 star guys. Has recruiting taken a dive for you guys or is that usually the norm? I always assumed you recruited about the same as WVU, mostly 3 stars with some 4s sprinkled in.

Have the Conference USA teams that moved up seen a bump in recruiting or has it stayed about the same?

Recruiting for Cincinnati is going well. Traditionally, we end up ranked in the 50s by the recruiting services. Currently, we are ranked 37 by 247 while WVU is 24th. http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footbal...amRankings
07-26-2014 05:20 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

depends on the service you look at...

247 has UC ranked #34 right now with
19 commits
13 three star
1 four star

that's pretty darn good

granted, it's just one service but it is what it is....and of course, long way til NSD.
07-26-2014 05:35 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
We're assembling one of our best classes on paper. Use 247 for ratings, not rivals or scout.
07-26-2014 05:50 PM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(07-26-2014 05:50 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  We're assembling one of our best classes on paper. Use 247 for ratings, not rivals or scout.
Think their composite uses both and ESPN, and they give their own ranking , so that is a good site.
07-26-2014 06:02 PM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I tend to use Rivals ranking myself.
07-26-2014 09:31 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-26-2014 09:31 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  I tend to use Rivals ranking myself.

Rivals is heavily slanted towards major conference schools. 247 tends to give better coverage to the G5.
07-26-2014 10:03 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Rivals has become a terrible site. The functionality is atrocious.
07-26-2014 10:30 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

Rivals blows and Scout is even worse....

247 is the best site in my book
07-27-2014 08:52 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(07-27-2014 08:52 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Rivals blows and Scout is even worse....

All of it is a guessing game, but IMHO 24/7 is the most fair of the bunch.
07-27-2014 09:50 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(07-27-2014 09:50 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 08:52 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Rivals blows and Scout is even worse....

All of it is a guessing game, but IMHO 24/7 is the most fair of the bunch.

hahaha in full disclosure...I like 247 because they rate UC's classes better

247 has UC right now with 13 three star and one four star and the class at #34 in the nation.

Rivals has us with like, five three star, and that's about it.

So...of course I think 247 is better! 02-13-banana

in seriousness the general consensus i see around is that 247 is the best but obviously Rivals and Scout has it's fans as well.
07-27-2014 09:54 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Rivals has slipped badly...247 and ESPN are my favorites...
07-27-2014 10:40 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
First of all, I have never used star ratings from Rivals and Scout because of the built in bias for BCS schools. One year, Tulsa verballed 7 three-Star Oklahoma high school football players. Five of those 7 were subsequently downgraded to 2-Stars. Oklahoma U verballed a 2-Star player one year and was immediately jumped to 3-Stars...and, by end of recruiting season, 4-Stars. Rather than Star ratings, I have followed football recruiting over the years using BCS offers in looking at NonBCS school recruiting. 247Sports is handing out 3-stars to any high school player with a heartbeat, about double if not more than Rivals. No wonder so many fans following their school's recruiting are all (falsely) hyped up over 247Sports.

Cincy, UConn, and USF lost their BCS status and four bowls to dangle before recruits: The guaranteed BCS bowl slot, Orlando, Charlotte, and Pinstripe. It was a given that these three schools could no longer maintain their recruiting, given this disastrous result, moving from BCS to NonBCS.

Cincy has only 5 recruits with BCS offers, substantially way, way off their 2013 recruiting. Cincy's main recruiting competitiors appears to be the MAC. At least, that is where most of Cincy's competing offers are coming from. UConn doesn't have a single recruit with a BCS offer, expect one. USF is weird. USF only has a few verbals but their aggressive Coach recruited quite well last year, very well, in fact.

Regarding Tulane and Memphis, they were among the two worst football programs in CUSA. Tulane's recruiting has picked up but it should. Tulane is located in Louisiana, a state with many good prospects and the Green Wave, while in CUSA, never cashed in on their good recruiting location. Tulane's recruiting has improved significantly, not because it is in AAC but simply because the Green Wave did such a poor job in the past. Memphis continues to struggle.

As for the rest of AAC, they are recruiting at about the level they did as CUSA members. Conference names can change but the recruiting pecking order remains the same. The TAMU, Texas, and Oklahomas get theirs first, then the Texas Techs, Okla States, Baylorss, and TCUs, and then AAC and CUSA schools. The trick for AAC and CUSA schools is to hold the state recruits who want to play in front of their family and friends and not let them get away to distant out of state BCS schools. In this regard, FAU seems to be off to an outstanding recruiting start in Florida. ODU is doing well within Virginia too. Rice, perhaps taking advantage of its two recent bowl appearances, has jumped its Texas Recruiting substantially and UTSA is off to a strong start in Texas.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 11:51 AM by Tallgrass.)
07-27-2014 11:35 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
AAC Recruiting.
(07-26-2014 05:20 PM)rosewater Wrote:  

Recruiting for Cincinnati is going well. Traditionally, we end up ranked in the 50s by the recruiting services. Currently, we are ranked 37 by 247 while WVU is 24th. http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footbal...amRankings

Cincinnati is looking great for the AAC in those 24/7 rankings as the top nonP5.
CUSA is looking much better overall than AAC with 4 of the top ten nonP5 teams. (Rice, LaTech, FlaAtl, and ODU). Next 2 AAC teams (SMU and UH) are just outside the top 10.
07-27-2014 11:58 AM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(07-26-2014 05:20 PM)rosewater Wrote:  

Like Rivals and Scout, a large number of early verbals will push a school higher into the ratings. Cincy's large number of recruits has temporarily pushed the Cats into the higher ratings levels...but Cincy will undoubtedly slip as the other schools fill out their classes.
07-27-2014 12:26 PM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

(07-27-2014 11:35 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  First of all, I have never used star ratings from Rivals and Scout because of the built in bias for BCS schools. One year, Tulsa verballed 7 three-Star Oklahoma high school football players. Five of those 7 were subsequently downgraded to 2-Stars. Oklahoma U verballed a 2-Star player one year and was immediately jumped to 3-Stars...and, by end of recruiting season, 4-Stars. Rather than Star ratings, I have followed football recruiting over the years using BCS offers in looking at NonBCS school recruiting. 247Sports is handing out 3-stars to any high school player with a heartbeat, about double if not more than Rivals. No wonder so many fans following their school's recruiting are all (falsely) hyped up over 247Sports.

Cincy, UConn, and USF lost their BCS status and four bowls to dangle before recruits: The guaranteed BCS bowl slot, Orlando, Charlotte, and Pinstripe. It was a given that these three schools could no longer maintain their recruiting, given this disastrous result, moving from BCS to NonBCS.

Cincy has only 5 recruits with BCS offers, substantially way, way off their 2013 recruiting. Cincy's main recruiting competitiors appears to be the MAC. At least, that is where most of Cincy's competing offers are coming from. UConn doesn't have a single recruit with a BCS offer, expect one. USF is weird. USF only has a few verbals but their aggressive Coach recruited quite well last year, very well, in fact.

Regarding Tulane and Memphis, they were among the two worst football programs in CUSA. Tulane's recruiting has picked up but it should. Tulane is located in Louisiana, a state with many good prospects and the Green Wave, while in CUSA, never cashed in on their good recruiting location. Tulane's recruiting has improved significantly, not because it is in AAC but simply because the Green Wave did such a poor job in the past. Memphis continues to struggle.

As for the rest of AAC, they are recruiting at about the level they did as CUSA members. Conference names can change but the recruiting pecking order remains the same. The TAMU, Texas, and Oklahomas get theirs first, then the Texas Techs, Okla States, Baylorss, and TCUs, and then AAC and CUSA schools. The trick for AAC and CUSA schools is to hold the state recruits who want to play in front of their family and friends and not let them get away to distant out of state BCS schools. In this regard, FAU seems to be off to an outstanding recruiting start in Florida. ODU is doing well within Virginia too. Rice, perhaps taking advantage of its two recent bowl appearances, has jumped its Texas Recruiting substantially and UTSA is off to a strong start in Texas.

You actually make a few good points here. I also look at the offer lists of most of WVU's 3 star players to gauge how good they really are. All 3 star players are definitely not created equally.

Florida kids are notoriously flaky when it comes to the recruiting process and a lot of them decide very late in the process where they will be going to school. I think that explains some of USF's lack of recruiting success thus far.

You're also correct about Cincy's number of recruits propelling them up the recruiting rankings list. 19 currently committed with the next closet being Temple with 14. But when you look at their average star ranking(according to Rivals) they come in at 5th in the conference behind Temple, UCF, USF with SMU leading the way. That would be a major concern to me if I were a Bearcat fan
07-27-2014 01:53 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(07-27-2014 01:53 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 11:35 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  First of all, I have never used star ratings from Rivals and Scout because of the built in bias for BCS schools. One year, Tulsa verballed 7 three-Star Oklahoma high school football players. Five of those 7 were subsequently downgraded to 2-Stars. Oklahoma U verballed a 2-Star player one year and was immediately jumped to 3-Stars...and, by end of recruiting season, 4-Stars. Rather than Star ratings, I have followed football recruiting over the years using BCS offers in looking at NonBCS school recruiting. 247Sports is handing out 3-stars to any high school player with a heartbeat, about double if not more than Rivals. No wonder so many fans following their school's recruiting are all (falsely) hyped up over 247Sports.

You actually make a few good points here. I also look at the offer lists of most of WVU's 3 star players to gauge how good they really are. All 3 star players are definitely not created equally.

Florida kids are notoriously flaky when it comes to the recruiting process and a lot of them decide very late in the process where they will be going to school. I think that explains some of USF's lack of recruiting success thus far.

You're also correct about Cincy's number of recruits propelling them up the recruiting rankings list. 19 currently committed with the next closet being Temple with 14. But when you look at their average star ranking(according to Rivals) they come in at 5th in the conference behind Temple, UCF, USF with SMU leading the way. That would be a major concern to me if I were a Bearcat fan

lol dude our recruiting classes end up in the 50's or 60's every year and yet we win 9 and 10 games a year. We really aren't that concerned....but thank you for showing your concern.
07-27-2014 05:24 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(07-27-2014 01:53 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  

Like the above poster noted, we appreciate your sincere concern, but I would focus your energies on your coach with the scullet. As I noted before, we will probably end up in the 50s however, Tubs is talking about a top 25 class as a goal. I am sure that we will lose some current recruits to attrition and will sign others. Way early in the process.
07-27-2014 06:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.