Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kaplan Arena To Reopen Next Week
Bookmark and Share
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: William & Mary
Kaplan Arena To Reopen Next Week
For those who didn't know, Kaplan Arena has been closed for the past month undergoing a huge anti-mold project that has involved completely cleaning the ugly, rapidly-growing mold that has been evident across the arena's ceiling for the past several years.

The floor, completely covered with protective lining, has been filled with floor to ceiling construction to enable workers to clean the ceilings and walls of the mold. This project had to be done...it had grown into a health hazard and offered the grim possibility that the health department would shut the whole place down because of the mold growth.

Last season any glance at the ceiling would have made the problem evident to anyone.

No idea of the cost---but it had to be very high for a space as big as Kaplan Arena...it costs a small fortune just to get mold out of a residence. Many workmen, working high on the floor to ceiling parapets, were involved in this major project.

Hopefully the costs were paid for by the College's maintenance funds,
not athletic funds, since the building, of course, serves other major functions for W&M (graduation, convocations, concerts, etc.).

Our team has been working out in the student athletic center directly across from W&M Hall.
07-26-2014 05:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
RE: Kaplan Arena To Reopen Next Week
Maintenance is a state function & that is most certainly maintenance.
07-26-2014 08:20 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

This is fantastic news. That mold was a huge eyesore and I'll be happy to no longer breathe in spores while watching our teams play.
07-26-2014 09:19 AM
Advertisement

62Indian Offline
Special Teams

Big Tribe, not to doubt your word, heh,heh, but have you actually seen, with your own eyes, workers "cleaning" the ceiling tiles in Kaplan Arena???

The reason I ask, is that several years ago, I seem to recall several discussions regarding the REPAIR of the roof at W&M Hall to be followed by the REPLACEMENT of the inside ceiling. I suspect that replacing the ceiling tiles with new ones would be far more cost effective than taking the old tiles down, cleaning them and then reinstalling them; after all, much of the mold would be on the top side of the ceiling tiles.

For the previous two summers, there has been exterior scaffolding around W&M Hall to enable them to repair the exterior roof - this job appears now to be accomplished.
07-26-2014 09:23 AM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

We'll know Kaplan's finally arrived to the big time when:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z14YAtAdjU

Grandpas gone wild......
07-26-2014 11:30 AM
Advertisement

BigTribe Offline
2nd String

Saw it with my own eyes about a week ago and, in fact, someone had posted a photo on facebook awhile back.
07-26-2014 02:34 PM
WM_Destro Offline
Special Teams

I saw on tribeathletics Instagram a few days back a picture of the new ceiling. Along with having the floor refinished, the ceiling has been painted black. In addition to not breathing mold spores, the black ceiling is a decent enhancement to the game experience, IMO.
07-26-2014 10:54 PM
Advertisement

62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(07-26-2014 10:54 PM)WM_Destro Wrote:  I saw on tribeathletics Instagram a few days back a picture of the new ceiling. Along with having the floor refinished, the ceiling has been painted black. In addition to not breathing mold spores, the black ceiling is a decent enhancement to the game experience, IMO.

Didn't we just install a brand new floor in The Kap three or four years ago?? How often does a Basketball court floor require "refinishing" ? Does any body know??
07-27-2014 09:47 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(07-26-2014 10:54 PM)WM_Destro Wrote:  I saw on tribeathletics Instagram a few days back a picture of the new ceiling. Along with having the floor refinished, the ceiling has been painted black. In addition to not breathing mold spores, the black ceiling is a decent enhancement to the game experience, IMO.

Ceiling looks great!!!

http://instagram.com/p/q2JzT5O_17/?modal=true
07-27-2014 10:19 AM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

(07-27-2014 09:47 AM)62Indian Wrote:  Didn't we just install a brand new floor in The Kap three or four years ago?? How often does a Basketball court floor require "refinishing" ? Does any body know??

Every year, per the instagram.
07-27-2014 10:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.