Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Too negative at Georgia Tech?
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Too negative at Georgia Tech?
ACC reporters Andrea Adelson and David Hale dish out both sides of the debate.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...t-georgia-tech
07-25-2014 09:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Too negative at Georgia Tech?
The Yellow Jackets can absolutely do better - if everyone associated with the program wants it. GT has been held back by "The Hill" but also, IMO, by Paul Johnson himself. The days of George O'Leary, et al look pretty good right about now!
07-25-2014 09:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GTFletch Offline
All American

GOL left GT, GT would have had him stay longer, however since he left for Notre Dame and the scandal broke, he is not welcomed back.

You are correct those were some good years, although CPJ had a good run in 2008 & 2009! I would state that CPJ has been better then Chan, that 2006 ACC title loss to Wake forest along with his sting of 7 wins...ughhh

GOL Leary Legacy: During an NCAA investigation after he had left Georgia Tech and Chan Gailey was the head coach, it was revealed that the Georgia Tech football program used ineligible players while O'Leary was head coach.[8] These infractions were due to the deficiencies in the school's academic administration who had incorrectly accounted for student-athletes' credit hours and were not attributed to O'Leary or his staff. The initial requirement that Georgia Tech vacate the performances of the football team for games in which these ineligible players participated was overturned on appeal.[9] Further, Georgia Tech was placed on probation and lost scholarships because of the violations.
07-25-2014 09:50 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

GOL leary scandel: In 2001, O'Leary left Georgia Tech to take over as the head coach for the University of Notre Dame. A few days after he was hired, inaccuracies were discovered in his published biographical sketch. The biography, which had remained more or less unchanged for two decades, stated that O'Leary had earned three letters in football at the University of New Hampshire,. However, when The (Manchester) Union Leader called UNH to research a feature story on him, the school claimed he had not even played in one game. When this came to light, O'Leary offered his immediate resignation. Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White turned it down, but then asked if there were any other inaccuracies.[10] He then admitted that he had not really earned a master's degree from "NYU-Stony Brook University," a non-existent institution and actually two separate institutions over 50 miles apart. In fact, he had taken only two courses at SUNY - Stony Brook, and never graduated.[11] When this inaccuracy came to light, Notre Dame forced O'Leary to resign.[10]

found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_O%27Leary
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 09:51 AM by GTFletch.)
07-25-2014 09:51 AM
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

I do agree the Yellow Jackets can do better! CPJ needs to win 18 games over the next two seasons or he will not be extended! We will see if he can turn the ship around!
07-25-2014 09:52 AM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
Not only is Tech able to do better.......they SHOULD do better.
07-25-2014 10:20 AM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(07-25-2014 10:20 AM)nole Wrote:  Not only is Tech able to do better.......they SHOULD do better.

In GT's defense, their overall curriculum is not like any other ACC school. Is there a single major at GT that allows for a degree without passing Calculus?
07-25-2014 10:41 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
The same people that are "making noise" now in Atlanta are the same folks that complained that Chan Gailey didn't win enough or beat Georgia enough.
07-25-2014 01:13 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
Georgia Tech needs to get better. PERIOD.

How they decide to do it is totally on them, but a Ranked GTech helps the ACC immensely.
FLossY out....04-wine
07-25-2014 01:15 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(07-25-2014 01:15 PM)HRFlossY Wrote:  Georgia Tech needs to get better. PERIOD.

How they decide to do it is totally on them, but a Ranked GTech helps the ACC immensely.
FLossY out....04-wine

I have two doctorates and could not pass Calculus or Differential Equations. http://www.gatech.edu/academics/bachelor...e-programs

I can't find anything in GT bulletin that allows you out with a degree without at least one calculus class. Nothing. Even at STEM intensive places like VT and NCSU, there are a few degree programs where you don't have a have dozen tough science or math courses.

Essentially GT is an battle with Duke and Vandy for southern egg heads who also play football. Sometimes that egg head decides to go to Florida, UGa, Bama, UT, Clemson, UNC.

GT also is known to be somewhat but not totally lacking in pretty girls. They damn sure can't compete with UGA or LSU or Ole Miss in that regard.

It takes recruits to win, what do most recruits want:

1. To play pro ball
2. To have fun
3. To have a lot sex with pretty girls

10. Passing calculus or a degree in computational whatever is often low on the totem pole.

Without structural changes inside GT or among the P-5 to move toward fielding all bonafide student athletes, GT has reached a ceiling in my opinion.
07-25-2014 01:45 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Most GT fans would be happy with being perennial Top 25, ACC title competitive, and competitive (read: winning 1 in 3) against the retarded inbreds.

To do that you need:
- An AD who realizes The Hill is toxic and can rally the troops against it.
- A concerted NATIONWIDE recruiting effort. Stanford scours the entire country to get their recruits. GT tries to get them in their own backyard fighting against Auburn, Bama, TAMU, UT, Vandy, UGAg, Florida, FSU, South Carolina, and Clemson.
- A President willing to fight for *real* academic minimum standards nationwide and/or expand the mission of GT.
07-25-2014 02:04 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
Yeah, they're always going to have their unique challenges. That calculus thing is the biggest kicker...there's no shortage of gorgeous ladies in Atlanta.

That said...nobody is saying they need to be national title contenders, but they should be winning 9 games most years, and occasionally 10.

I like Paul Johnson, I like the offense, but when you have so many challenges going against you in landing kids, you can't be a miserable prick on top of it, and expect to land enough talent. The right recruiter could land enough kids to be competitive.

It's one thing to have to win with a very small portion of the available players, and you're just compounding it by basically being an anti-recruiter to those few kids.
07-25-2014 02:40 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(07-25-2014 02:40 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  Yeah, they're always going to have their unique challenges. That calculus thing is the biggest kicker...there's no shortage of gorgeous ladies in Atlanta.

That said...nobody is saying they need to be national title contenders, but they should be winning 9 games most years, and occasionally 10.

I like Paul Johnson, I like the offense, but when you have so many challenges going against you in landing kids, you can't be a miserable prick on top of it, and expect to land enough talent. The right recruiter could land enough kids to be competitive.

It's one thing to have to win with a very small portion of the available players, and you're just compounding it by basically being an anti-recruiter to those few kids.

That doesn't mean the girls are at GT in the seat beside you like they are at UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.
07-25-2014 09:07 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(07-25-2014 09:07 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  That doesn't mean the girls are at GT in the seat beside you like they are at UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.

Thanks to generous admissions help and the Mtrain, the ratio is hovering around roughly 2 to 1 last I looked.
07-26-2014 05:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.